Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 04-27-2010, 12:48 PM

Personally have no problem giving reports on any water body, but to reveal my fav spots on them same water bodies....not so much. Example- would gladly tell anyone the conditions and production at any lake/riv/res that I have recently visited but u gotta be perty special for me to tell ya where I like to go. I clean up enuff litter as it is(not directed at anyone here)
IMO the best fishn holes are the ones I find on my own, through hrs of trial and error, bug bites and battered shins, and then...Finally finding a money spot. I aint about to give em away for free, I sure never got em for free!
Me 2 cents
Old 04-27-2010, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Morph1 View Post
fishing is so unpredictable, I would not giva a sh** about any map of fishing spots, I find satisfaction in finding my own fishing spots, and in regards to this thread I am also 100% with Kyle , besides this forum is not only for sharing where the bite is but also about equipment, tactics, knowledge, sceneries captured on photos etc, if you come down here and need a fishing map to go fishing you are a one lazy sob that does not deserve to be fishing.

JTS just look at Hasse lake description on your map , you seriously believe that all those entries on your map are true ???? I bet 75% of them are as misguiding as the info on Hasse, I appreciate your efforts though in making the map, obviously you are a very generous guy...,

Funny how you are complaining about sharing info but from the sentence above - you have no problem using it. Tsk Tsk.

last words in this thread, it does not matter where you go and how skilled you are and what awesome equipment you may have, or what info you may leach..., after all is about luck and mainly being at the right place at the right time......
So much irony....
Old 04-27-2010, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by spopadyn View Post
I absolutely agree with JTS on this. We have beat this mule to death. Here is the problem: all you people who don't want to share info shouldn't be on this forum. Simple as that. You are a hypocrite and you should be ashamed of all of your sanctimonous preaching. Why are you here? Who has violated anything that BELONGS TO YOU? These are all public resources and we all share in the responsibility of paying our taxes and maintaining them. It seems to me you have no problem with the general public paying to stock lakes and maintain fisheries - you just don't believe they should know where to fish. Give it a rest. This is not about conservation - this is about elitism. And I really like this "lets restrict access to the trollers". Why don't all you smart C&R secret fishermen form your own website and share your secrets there. Oh, I forgot, you also like AOF to provide a free forum to you - but only just a select few. Again, what hypocrites.
I like this. Thank you. (golf clap) "now that's how you debate" Will farrell.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:50 PM
KyleM

spopadyn, the fact that you believe this website is only for sharing info on fishing spots gives proof to my point. People come on here directly looking and thinking that its a spot to scoop up a spot to fish with no effort. As Morph said, there are many technical threads that help out new fisherman, you can also pair up and meet guys to fish with if your other fishing buddies are working.

JTS, this thread was not directed at you. I have never looked at the map. This is directed at those who will post a location and spot and whats biting on what. Iam not saying I agree with your map but Iam for sure not in a position to speak ill of it. This is a free country and you may say whatever you want but I really beg you guys to take a serious look at the situation at hand and honestly try to tell yourself that your making a positive difference to the conservation of our sport.

Like I said, getting skunked and going to lakes where the fishing is difficult is part of fishing. By taking the leg work out of the sport you open up all the decent lakes to the lazy.

Ofcourse I have gotten info on fishing spots, who hasnt? The difference is that its between me and the other person over a couple pops, not 500 other people listening behind the scenes.
Old 04-27-2010, 04:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleM View Post
spopadyn, the fact that you believe this website is only for sharing info on fishing spots gives proof to my point. People come on here directly looking and thinking that its a spot to scoop up a spot to fish with no effort. As Morph said, there are many technical threads that help out new fisherman, you can also pair up and meet guys to fish with if your other fishing buddies are working.

JTS, this thread was not directed at you. I have never looked at the map. This is directed at those who will post a location and spot and whats biting on what. Iam not saying I agree with your map but Iam for sure not in a position to speak ill of it. This is a free country and you may say whatever you want but I really beg you guys to take a serious look at the situation at hand and honestly try to tell yourself that your making a positive difference to the conservation of our sport.

Like I said, getting skunked and going to lakes where the fishing is difficult is part of fishing. By taking the leg work out of the sport you open up all the decent lakes to the lazy.

Ofcourse I have gotten info on fishing spots, who hasnt? The difference is that its between me and the other person over a couple pops, not 500 other people listening behind the scenes.
x2..................
Old 04-27-2010, 05:19 PM

I fully endorse JTS1's answers.
Old 04-27-2010, 05:33 PM
jrs

Lots of lazy people out there not willing to put in any effort. That alone maintained many fisheries in Alberta over the past few decades. Too bad guys continue trying to make fishing dummy proof. As for the fishing spot map, if guys want to be shoulder and shoulder with each other go ahead. I simply hope more restrictive angling regulations can be enforced on many waterbodies before the additional pressure wrecks them. Many lakes are managed based on minimal access and pressure. I simply don't give out spots now due to garbage and damage I've seen done by some folks from this forum. Not just responsible outdoors people using this site.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:08 PM

Don't go completely by the numbers, i don't use (auto login). Many times i just read the threads and don't log in until i have something to say.
Old 04-27-2010, 06:11 PM

I am less than 2 years in my area. Ive found fishing places by word of mouth, and lots of driving and exploring. I have also been told about and shown places to fish that I keep to myself, out of respect to the person who told me about them. I have no problem sharing the areas I have discovered on my own with friends, especially since in my hood most of the fishing areas are rather lightly fished. Posting them for all to see is another matter, I like the fact that most are lightly fished. I do have no problem sharing general info and even specific info for places Ive fished for a long time. Especially since I dont fish them anymore.
Sure, Jeffs map is a lazy way out of exploring, but some people dont have the time or resources to search out fishing holes on their own.
Maybe the map even contributes to less pollution, since people can find a destination and go directly to it.
If people want to keep their secret spots secret dont put them on the map is all.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 04-27-2010, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Yet another post on this, I apologize.

After reading some of the posts and threads on this subject I have come to realize that some of us as anglers are living in some sort of magical fantasy land. For the few of you who still refuse to believe that posting specific information will ruin a lake, I suggest you view some of the other forums over the internet.

Many websites have set-up "Rules" for posting fishing reports. They encourage a fishing report but no location. Whats the problem with this?
The more important question is why have they done this? Its because lakes have been destroyed by overfishing, garbage, and LAZY fisherman.

Half the work in fishing is finding spots, you are not an angler if you punch in a GPS tag and watch your screen.

Why cant AOF have a rule like this? The fishing pressure in this province is extremely high on what lakes are here. Ontario has tons of lakes and yet Ontariofishing.net imposes a rule such as the one I stated.

We are living in the past here, we better smarten up with the resource before its gone. Dont say it wont happen, there are many lakes that this has already happened to.
Quote:
#1 1 Week Ago

Swan Sunday

3:45 I was up and on the water by 6:45.

Fishing was good, 25 fish. Biggest around 6lbs but most around 3.
Red Kwikfish in the morning and black leach flies during the day.
Very slow troll.

Water is melted enough to get the boat out and rip around.

Beautiful day on the water.

Did I mention there was only 3 boats on the lake?
Kyle, I must say that you are guilty of what you are condemning. Only a week ago you started a thread on Swan Lake telling that fishing was good, the trout were large, and you even told everyone what you caught them on and the method used. Swan Lake is one of those lakes that is seeing much increased pressure lately. Do you see the contradiction here? If you feel the way you do on this matter then you might want to practice what you preach.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AxeMan View Post
Kyle, I must say that you are guilty of what you are condemning. Only a week ago you started a thread on Swan Lake telling that fishing was good, the trout were large, and you even told everyone what you caught them on and the method used. Swan Lake is one of those lakes that is seeing much increased pressure lately. Do you see the contradiction here? If you feel the way you do on this matter then you might want to practice what you preach.
Cannot say a word sides hurt to much
Old 04-27-2010, 07:42 PM
KyleM

I did it for a reason, I guess you can see I posted lots of pics aswell?

Have you been to Swan? Its stocked twice a year with I think 14000 Rainbows each time. Fisherman line the shore, there are atleast 30 reports on this site from that lake (if you can call it a lake). If people wish to be lazy and troll the net I will give them a spot where 100 other people will be while I fish the other lakes in the area.

Old 04-27-2010, 07:45 PM
Banned

Quote:

Have you been to Swan? Its stocked twice a year with I think 14000 Rainbows each time. Fisherman line the shore, there are atleast 30 reports on this site from that lake (if you can call it a lake). If people wish to be lazy and troll the net I will give them a spot where 100 other people will be while I fish the other lakes in the area.

Its not like KyleM gave up a secret spot that will be fished out this year.

Now my last fishing post, with pics that dont show a background or face were posted that way for a reason. Because it would take a few dummies to go and keep everything they catch, and yes iv caught people catching bulls and keeping them and have confronted them and reported. So I'm not going to give up my spot I worked hard at finding just so one person can find it, then tell another, then another and so on. Iv seen it happen allot. Ill tell everyone how I did at so and so lake that's on a map, easy to find, stocked etc because its already got everyone fishing it.

Last edited by WaterSkeeter; 04-27-2010 at 07:53 PM.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:48 PM

Now I have to say something.
Most of the reports on fishing holes on this forum are for the most part stocked lakes and are listed in the regs as such. I dont see a whole lot of people here giving out their honey hole GPS readings and all, and I dont blame them. I would not give out my honey holes either on an open forum but I will give out info on stocked lakes and known places to fish, ice off, flies to use etc...
And yes I have been to Swan, Peppers, Tay, Phyllis, Beaver, Michelle, Strubel, Elk Creek Pond, Birch, Yellowhead, all stocked lakes and lake X
Old 04-27-2010, 07:52 PM
KyleM

flygirll, have you been to Swan Lake? I understand what your saying but its really not a lake, its more of a trout pond that has air pumps in it to keep the trout alive.

Its more of a meat market.
Old 04-27-2010, 07:57 PM

Are you talking Swan by Caroline or Swan by Debolt? Been to both Swan by Caroline has lakers and pike no rainbow... As far as meat markets are concerned all stocked lakes are exactly that.. unless they are catch and release and thats why I dont mind giving info on them..
Old 04-27-2010, 07:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
flygirll, have you been to Swan Lake? I understand what your saying but its really not a lake, its more of a trout pond that has air pumps in it to keep the trout alive.

Its more of a meat market.

exactly
Old 04-27-2010, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
...IMO the best fishn holes are the ones I find on my own, through hrs of trial and error, bug bites and battered shins, and then...Finally finding a money spot. I aint about to give em away for free, I sure never got em for free!
Me 2 cents
This is how I roll too

On another note, I'm somewhat surprised that there isn't an unwritten rule among fishermen regarding the sharing of specific details. I mean, when I amble over to the hunting forums you'll never see a hunter sharing details regarding a nice bachelor heard of mature white tails... on the flip side the camaraderie revolves around techniques, equipment, the thrill of the hunt, stalking, spotting, or what have you.
Old 04-27-2010, 08:26 PM

by the way, before I get called out as a hypocrite, I have viewed JTS' map, but only to see if my spots were marked
Old 04-27-2010, 09:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duramaximos View Post
This is how I roll too

On another note, I'm somewhat surprised that there isn't an unwritten rule among fishermen regarding the sharing of specific details. I mean, when I amble over to the hunting forums you'll never see a hunter sharing details regarding a nice bachelor heard of mature white tails... on the flip side the camaraderie revolves around techniques, equipment, the thrill of the hunt, stalking, spotting, or what have you.
Amen. Again no problem discussing conditions or bite. But to post online where we land our Sturg....aint gonna happen
Old 04-27-2010, 10:14 PM

Quote:

Man, Kyle, you are one noble steed. I bow at your feet. Way to save the world!
Old 04-27-2010, 10:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterSkeeter View Post

Its not like KyleM gave up a secret spot that will be fished out this year.

Now my last fishing post, with pics that dont show a background or face were posted that way for a reason. Because it would take a few dummies to go and keep everything they catch, and yes iv caught people catching bulls and keeping them and have confronted them and reported. So I'm not going to give up my spot I worked hard at finding just so one person can find it, then tell another, then another and so on. Iv seen it happen allot. Ill tell everyone how I did at so and so lake that's on a map, easy to find, stocked etc because its already got everyone fishing it.
I am going to hire a private investigator to follow Kyle to his spots - take pictures and give GPS coords.

(PSST... This probably means Kyle will no longer fish this year due to his overwhealming paranoia)
Old 04-27-2010, 10:26 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by flygirrl View Post
Now I have to say something.
the floor is all yours
Old 04-27-2010, 10:37 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by spopadyn View Post
I am going to hire a private investigator to follow Kyle to his spots - take pictures and give GPS coords.

(PSST... This probably means Kyle will no longer fish this year due to his overwhealming paranoia)

He was just stating his opinion and thoughts, no need to bug the guy.
Old 04-27-2010, 10:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by STP View Post
the floor is all yours
x2
Old 04-27-2010, 10:49 PM

I think you should practice what you perch , walleye go fishing with jack, we are taking burbot no food

go cathy go
Old 04-27-2010, 10:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
I think you should practice what you perch
Yeah guy's, go practice what you perch.......
Old 04-28-2010, 01:00 AM

I don't believe anyone here is saying don't share and offer nothing. If that's the case, why did they join the forum? They can simply leech anonymously without the abuse. What I think and I think many are suggesting, is that as you admire that amazing specimen you've just landed, think whether you are doing a world of good by throwing the name of the lake/pond out on the internet? What's up there is forever. Ask yourself is this a big enough fishery that can take some extra pressure or, by innocently helping our fellow fisherman, turn this quality fishery into a "follow the stocking truck" fishery? I know of a number of pothole type lakes within a couple of hours of Calgary that used to consistently produce trout over 20 inches. Now sadly, the majority of the fish are the year's stockers. There are still a number of other similar small lakes and ponds that are still consistent producers but they are in danger now too. Some argue these are put and take fisheries and sure they are but fish need several seasons to attain a bragging size. Their chances of reaching that size are greatly reduced when there are a high volume of people flossing the water. A quality fishery is maintained by special regs, its remoteness, relatively unknown or is resilient to fishing pressure. A quality fishing experience is reward for those who do their homework. Yes most of the fishable waters are already listed in Mitchell's Guide but all it takes is a picture on the internet to trigger an onslaught. What's to gain by spoonfeeding people at the expense of the fragile fishing body?

If you think KyleM's topic is overstated, I ask you to think of your favorite pond where you've had consistent success with bragging sized fish, name it here, add a picture and let's reopen this topic in three years.

p.s. Without sounding too hypocritical, I think the Google Map is a noble effort. Now let's go fishing!
Old 04-28-2010, 01:21 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by uicehole View Post
I don't believe anyone here is saying don't share and offer nothing. If that's the case, why did they join the forum? They can simply leech anonymously without the abuse. What I think and I think many are suggesting, is that as you admire that amazing specimen you've just landed, think whether you are doing a world of good by throwing the name of the lake/pond out on the internet? What's up there is forever. Ask yourself is this a big enough fishery that can take some extra pressure or, by innocently helping our fellow fisherman, turn this quality fishery into a "follow the stocking truck" fishery? I know of a number of pothole type lakes within a couple of hours of Calgary that used to consistently produce trout over 20 inches. Now sadly, the majority of the fish are the year's stockers. There are still a number of other similar small lakes and ponds that are still consistent producers but they are in danger now too. Some argue these are put and take fisheries and sure they are but fish need several seasons to attain a bragging size. Their chances of reaching that size are greatly reduced when there are a high volume of people flossing the water. A quality fishery is maintained by special regs, its remoteness, relatively unknown or is resilient to fishing pressure. A quality fishing experience is reward for those who do their homework. Yes most of the fishable waters are already listed in Mitchell's Guide but all it takes is a picture on the internet to trigger an onslaught. What's to gain by spoonfeeding people at the expense of the fragile fishing body?

If you think KyleM's topic is overstated, I ask you to think of your favorite pond where you've had consistent success with bragging sized fish, name it here, add a picture and let's reopen this topic in three years.

p.s. Without sounding too hypocritical, I think the Google Map is a noble effort. Now let's go fishing!
Very well said
Old 04-28-2010, 04:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WaterSkeeter View Post
He was just stating his opinion and thoughts, no need to bug the guy.
x2.
Closed Thread