Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-29-2010, 06:36 PM

There are likely many 40+ pounders in Lac La Biche. Problem with monster jacks like that is that they are practically immune to capture. You would need absolutely massive tackle. I've heard about and seen first hand many LLB jacks over 30 pounds caught in nets.

In Ray Chipeniuk's "Lakes of the Lac La Biche District" there is a picture of a 40 lb jack from Seibert caught in a net in 1915.
Old 10-29-2010, 07:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreator View Post
There are likely many 40+ pounders in Lac La Biche. Problem with monster jacks like that is that they are practically immune to capture. You would need absolutely massive tackle. I've heard about and seen first hand many LLB jacks over 30 pounds caught in nets.

In Ray Chipeniuk's "Lakes of the Lac La Biche District" there is a picture of a 40 lb jack from Seibert caught in a net in 1915.
lol... I got the tackle.. I'm just slowly peicing together (guessing) where, when and how to catch these giant pike.

Off toping, but not really.. I think no one should be allowed to keep a pike under 1 meter. Or even have a zero pike limit on lakes that used to produce giants in the past. We need to let the breeding get back to the way it was.

too many pike are kept from what I can see personally.

Great stories.. keep them comming
Old 10-29-2010, 07:46 PM

I was ice fishing sylvan last year and hooked into a pike that just wouldn't fit up an 8" auger hole no mater what we tried, we got a few chances before it got off (straitened my jig right out). I have no idea of the weight but I caught a true 26lber (on a good scale "released") the year before and this fish dwarfed it big time. I'm guessing ill probably never get another chance at a trophy like that ever again and I live to fish, oh well thats what keeps me coming back.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:12 PM

I've read some posts in the past that F&W were doing studies in southern reservoires and netted several pike between 40lbs and 53lbs.Don't know if it's true but that would be something to get one of those on a fly rod.
Old 10-29-2010, 08:28 PM

I guided proffessionally for years and have fished a few lakes in the shield areas. Hands down your best bet for a very large northern is Lake Athabasca. Two 49 inchers and one 48 were the largest ones i seen and guided for !!!!
Old 10-29-2010, 08:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by safety d View Post
i guided proffessionally for years and have fished a few lakes in the shield areas. Hands down your best bet for a very large northern is lake athabasca. Two 49 inchers and one 48 were the largest ones i seen and guided for !!!!
its dead there
Old 10-29-2010, 09:36 PM

Default Biggest pike out there in ab

I've talked to the fisheries tech who netted that 44 lb pike out of pigeon and talked to another who obtained a 43 lber from Bistcho lake off a commercial fisherman. Newell lake has commercially produced a 46 lber. In the mid 80's The head of Travel Alberta was dismayed to find out a First nation teenager's spoon caught 55 lber was not eligable for IGFA recognition because to get it into his canoe safely, he shot it! I think Alberta does have fish big enough to beat the world record.
Old 10-29-2010, 09:41 PM
Banned

any pike lovers please ask
Old 10-29-2010, 09:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by GustavMahler View Post
any pike lovers please ask
ask for?
Old 10-29-2010, 09:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
its dead there
can you explain? Not from what I have read
Old 10-29-2010, 10:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post
you can find the article online about the fellow and his 62 inch pike, with pictures,,, if you want 48+ just drop me a line
Old 10-29-2010, 10:59 PM
Banned

Quote:
lol... I got the tackle.. I'm just slowly peicing together (guessing) where, when and how to catch these giant pike.

Off toping, but not really.. I think no one should be allowed to keep a pike under 1 meter. Or even have a zero pike limit on lakes that used to produce giants in the past. We need to let the breeding get back to the way it was.

don't go deep,,, use lures flashy lures and slowly,,,, try to sp[oon before freeze up
Old 10-30-2010, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Safety D View Post
I guided proffessionally for years and have fished a few lakes in the shield areas. Hands down your best bet for a very large northern is Lake Athabasca. Two 49 inchers and one 48 were the largest ones i seen and guided for !!!!
lol! you are someone this forum takes seriously! you caught them two? must be dead now! i still love your antics! (means shinanagins!) lol!
Old 10-30-2010, 07:41 AM

Newell lake no contest.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:13 AM

Not just Newell, there are a lot of southern reservoirs with the right conditions to produce monster pike. Eventually someone is going to be at the right place with the right lure or bait and land a 40 pound plus, if not 50. The provincial record is going to fall soon.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-30-2010, 08:24 AM

Alberta record is 38 lbs I saw one come out of Utikima that covered the tail gate of a truck. Must have been over 30lbs. Was caught in a net. I think the next record will come out of wabmun.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Alberta record is 38 lbs I saw one come out of Utikima that covered the tail gate of a truck. Must have been over 30lbs. Was caught in a net. I think the next record will come out of wabmun.
I hope your right about that, I plan on hitting it next week and I'm felling lucky. lol. I'm thinking this winter someone will at least pull a 35 out of somewhere!! Newell, sylvan, pigeon, Wab.... I don't care where I just hope it's someone on this forum with a good camera.
Old 10-30-2010, 04:21 PM

Default Big pike

Go to the library and look up a book called Lakes of the Lac La Biche District by R.C. Chipeniuk. On page 3 is a picture of a 40 lb. pike, on page 307 is a story of a 73 lb. pike from martineau flats of Cold lake. Also look up Windy lake and Corner lake. I think the big ones are out there and as commercial fishing is declining we will see more big ones. I heard of 50 lbs. from Seibert but I never saw it on the scale and we know the reputation fishermen have.
Old 10-30-2010, 05:05 PM

Quote:

I totally agree.. A slot limit should be in place in all our lakes for all fish. Especially lake trout, walley and pike. I don't understand why people want to keep the big spawning fish no one thinks of the future especially our govnt !!!!!!!!! Take a picture and let them go.. We need trophy management in our lakes.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg rsz_imgp3691.jpg (114.7 KB, 164 views)
Old 10-30-2010, 05:48 PM

There are definitely some high 30#, low 40# pike in Newell & Travers. Like Wayne says, the potential for catching a 40lber exsists in many southern Alberta reservoirs, but the chances are certainly higher in some lakes than others. When you take the fact that trophy sized pike are extremely sensitive to evironmental conditions (ie weather, barometric pressure, light levels, etc.) & throw in the fact that fish that size eat bigger meals & go longer between feeding periods, the chances of having your bait in the right place at just the right time must be slim indeed!

I'm sure many of us has pulled a spoon or crankbait right across the path of a 35-40+ lb pike but said fish was too full or to unmotivated to chomp our offerings
Old 10-30-2010, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTornado View Post
There is a Northern in Sylvan that would be pushing 60". I seen this fish on more than one occasion in the same spot, it was like time stopped when she came in and put her nose on my smelt and then swam slowly away for what seemed like 5 minutes. My leg shakes thinking about it while writing this.

Looking down on her in 15fow her back looked like it was close to a foot across. This is no horse @#$% story fella's, if someone where to catch her "Molly" she would be the Alberta record hands down not even a minor debate.
My father has lived at Sylvan lake most of his life. He told me stories snorkeling in the spring some of the pike you would see make you turn white. Moss back only eats once a month
Old 10-30-2010, 07:04 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarygringo View Post
If I was a betting man and from experience fishing in the south I believe the next whale will come from either Chin Coulee or Lake Newell. I have seen and caught 30+ pounders and have heard netting stories of way bigger ones than that. I talked to someone that was diving in Chin and he said he saw a few that were literally like sharks. Almost wanted to get out of there.
When I worked for provincial fisheries and we were trapping Walleye in Chin for eggs to be distributed elsewhere in Alberta, there were big pike caught in those traps, real big pike. Like really big pike.

Right around the bridge is a good place.

And yes there are lots of bank fisherman in that area.
Old 10-30-2010, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Sorry, i was just mocking Saftey D
Old 10-31-2010, 12:14 AM

If you hooked a pike that big in open water (no snags) I think it would be pretty catchable. Pike are strong and fast but they have limited endurance, let it run enough times and even a monster pike will turn side-up and come in. The hardest part would be handling it by the boat.

Quote:
Originally Posted by kreator View Post

Old 10-31-2010, 02:03 AM

any LARGE body of water, that contain oily fish,(whitefish acisco, tullibee and suckers,) could produce big pike... who knows ? i sorta do! has to be large water with oily(fatty) fish.... we know that.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:34 AM

i know it's not alberta, but i regularly catch pike over 20lbs, lot's over 25lbs, and a few over 30 every year, many of these fish already have something else in their gullet, usually a whitefish, or a burbot. the thing to note is that the fish in the gullet is usually between 4-7lbs. big pike like big food. i find the big len thompson five o diamonds is the go to hook for great slave lake pike, although anything will catch fish.
ive used the same set up since i started fishing gsl. medium action spinning rod, 12 lb mono, 12 inch wire leader. MAKE SURE YOUR DRAG IS SET i think is the key to catching the big girls. it usually takes about 10-15 minutes to get a big fish to the boat.
my personal best fish took 55 minutes to boat, 58 inches long, 33 inches around the belly. i suspect it was close to that magical 50lb mark, but i didn't have the heart to keep her and in those days i didn't carry a scale (7 years ago). my next best fish was 42lbs, but it was quite a bit smaller than the other one.
by personal choice i never keep the big ones, 12-16 pounders give the best filets in my opinion. i like to see good genetics stay in the lake, and it takes a lot of years for those giants to get that big in cold water.
back to the original topic i would love to see one of you folks holding the new ab record with a billboard size smile, but i don't have a guess as to where it will come from. there is a lot of good water in ab to choose from
Old 10-31-2010, 08:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pickrel pat View Post
any LARGE body of water, that contain oily fish,(whitefish acisco, tullibee and suckers,) could produce big pike... who knows ? i sorta do! has to be large water with oily(fatty) fish.... we know that.
you havent fished Clear Lake I take it?

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 10-31-2010, 08:44 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by justinO View Post
I totally agree.. A slot limit should be in place in all our lakes for all fish. Especially lake trout, walley and pike. I don't understand why people want to keep the big spawning fish no one thinks of the future especially our govnt !!!!!!!!! Take a picture and let them go.. We need trophy management in our lakes.
I agree with some sort of slot limit, but how do you figure only big fish are the spawners? Every fertile fish over spawning age spawns, and even a 3 or 4 pounder will have the same genes as its parents, if mamma is a 50 pound hog the 4 pounders young have exactly the same potential with good conditions, to make it up to the big size. Who do you think has the best chance of survival, eggs from a healthy fresh young pike or some mossy old snag toothed 40 pound grannie thats been fighting to survive for a lot of years? If someone decided to keep a trophy thats up to them, some people will and some will release her every time.

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

Old 10-31-2010, 10:22 AM

Talking

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishingFrenzy View Post
its dead there
You funny Fishing Frenzy !
Old 10-31-2010, 10:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
I agree with some sort of slot limit, but how do you figure only big fish are the spawners? Every fertile fish over spawning age spawns, and even a 3 or 4 pounder will have the same genes as its parents, if mamma is a 50 pound hog the 4 pounders young have exactly the same potential with good conditions, to make it up to the big size. Who do you think has the best chance of survival, eggs from a healthy fresh young pike or some mossy old snag toothed 40 pound grannie thats been fighting to survive for a lot of years? If someone decided to keep a trophy thats up to them, some people will and some will release her every time.
Genetics play a huge role in size of any animal/fish etc.... Just like humans. a 6'5" guy has a kid with a 6' lady- the kid is no dount going to be huge lol. On top of that, muscle mass in fish (just like humans) has a lot to do with genetics.

This is why I think we need a slot or even a zero limit for a few years. Ya a slot/zero limit would **** a lot of people off, but a true fisherman/woman would see the benifits of it and be fine with it.

A good way to kill a trophy lake is keep taking the "big ones" home with you. It removes their abilitly to pass those "big" genes on each year.

Genetics also play a role other than body size. Feeding habits are genetic too. Feeding is instinct and instinct is genetic. For exmaple if a certain 'X' pike has a instinct to always feed at night, it will have a much better chance of getting huge. Those feeding instincts get passed on genetically.

We very well could have had some genetic pike that grew to 60-75lbs, and what ever those fish genes were that allowed them to get that big would be gone if we kept/killed that breeding group of pike. Mind you, genetics are always changing therefore we can get genetics like that to develope in our fish stocks if we don't kill the big ones.

Thanks for all those who are contributing to this thread. Can't wait to wet a line.