Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-31-2010, 12:12 PM

All that said, myself plan on keeping at least one HUGE pike if I ever get one say 27+ not for a meal but for a mount i found the 6-8lb the best for eating. But if I do get that big one in a lake where i can keep it i will just once all others are freed to fight another day. 
Old 10-31-2010, 12:23 PM

Default The alberta record

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post
Just for conversations sake... What do you think the biggest pike in AB is?

I have been argueing with my roomate for awhile about this. He thinks in our area (lac la biche) the biggest there is is 25lbs. I caught one this big a few weeks ago and he said its the biggest one I'll ever get in lac la biche.

I have told him that F&G have netted 50lbs pike in Newell and Wab and he doens't beleive me. I told him I would bet my salary that there is a 40lbs pike in lac la biche.. He thinks I'm delusional...

I'm a pike junkie.. I couldn't care less about a 14lbs walleye, I'd rather a 30lbs pike.. So I'm curious.

What do you think? ANy good stories about some big ones? Pictures would be great.
NO b.s the Alberta commercial Fishing Record for Northern Pike weighs a whopping 52 pounds and change.it was caught 20 km south of Medicine Hat at Rattlesnake Lake.

The alberta walleye record for commercial fishing comes from Mcgregor lake,it weighed over 20 pounds.aswell a 18 pounder was caught in the same net.
Old 10-31-2010, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by whitetail Junkie View Post
NO b.s the Alberta commercial Fishing Record for Northern Pike weighs a whopping 52 pounds and change.it was caught 20 km south of Medicine Hat at Rattlesnake Lake.

The alberta walleye record for commercial fishing comes from Mcgregor lake,it weighed over 20 pounds.aswell a 18 pounder was caught in the same net.
What...really! Do u know when these fish were caught just outta curiosity? That's awesome!

As for the original question, largest pike in Alberta, my best guess would be 50-60#s. Don't worry all, I'll find her and post a pic when I doJK
Cheers n GL all
Old 10-31-2010, 06:53 PM

I've been fortunate enough to see and handle two 48'' pike. Both C&R.

One caught by my buddy through the ice in northern sask.

I caught the other on my fly rod, took a bunch of runs way into the backing.

Here's the one from sask
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=29181

If I were targeting big pike I wouldn't waste my time around here, I would save all that gas money too and from our square-hooked lakes. Save it for a week in northen sask at the very end of march.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by steve View Post

Here's the one from sask

If I were targeting big pike I wouldn't waste my time around here, I would save all that gas money too and from our square-hooked lakes. Save it for a week in northen sask at the very end of march.
Nice pics Steve, and everyone else for that matter.
Steve my largest pike caught outta the SSR last year was similar in girth to the one in your pictures and around 46-52" was our best guess. Unfortunately we never had a net that day and she tossed the hook right at shore(Did manage a nice pic of her in the water though). I'll try n find it. Anyway did u weigh that pike? I'm curious to the day how big my PB pike was and figure your pic is pretty close in size. Are guess on my catch was 25-30#s.
Cheers n GL!
Old 10-31-2010, 07:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fishfinder View Post
Nice pics Steve, and everyone else for that matter.
Steve my largest pike caught outta the SSR last year was similar in girth to the one in your pictures and around 46-52" was our best guess. Unfortunately we never had a net that day and she tossed the hook right at shore(Did manage a nice pic of her in the water though). I'll try n find it. Anyway did u weigh that pike? I'm curious to the day how big my PB pike was and figure your pic is pretty close in size. Are guess on my catch was 25-30#s.
Cheers n GL!
I believe it had a girth just over 18'' my buddy is doing a replica so we took a girth measurement and I think thats what it was.
Old 10-31-2010, 07:23 PM

Quote:
I believe it had a girth just over 18'' my buddy is doing a replica so we took a girth measurement and I think thats what it was.
Groovy, so according to the calculater 18"girth, 48" length would be a whopping 40#s! I realize the calculator is just a reference and is not totally accurate though I do believe it is relatively close. Perhaps I'll test it's accuracy on different species for curiosity's sake but I don't really keep to many fish thus I don't weigh too many.
Anyways, thanx for the info!
Cheers
Old 10-31-2010, 08:18 PM

Quote:

Here's the one from sask

I wouldn't go in march. Spawn fish are skinny, even before they lay their eggs. Fall is when they are fattest in open water
Old 10-31-2010, 08:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LacLaBicheNS View Post
I wouldn't go in march. Spawn fish are skinny, even before they lay their eggs. Fall is when they are fattest in open water
They don't get any fatter then prespawn and full of eggs.

Fishfinder, I don't think that fish is anywhere near 40# the calculator must be a little on the heavy side I would say.
Old 10-31-2010, 08:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishinggeek View Post
Well my bro and i went out one day at wabamum. Got most of it on vid. pulled over 30 pike out. the last one on the vid was just over 44 inch long, we estimated at about 28-30lbs. And this wasn't the biggest we seen out there. So yeah theres a 40 in wab somewhere.
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=a-jKpvMbFCM
Nice vids maybe 18 pounds
Old 10-31-2010, 10:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ruttnbuckcojack View Post
I've ice fished Sylvan for year's and caught a few hogs and Ive seen some gaints, There very well maybe a 60" in there He may have got really lucky last year.Attachment 28178

why keep a fish like this?
Old 10-31-2010, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post

I agree pictures work great and the fish lives another day
Old 11-01-2010, 12:11 AM

X3. nice fish tho non the less
Old 11-01-2010, 12:24 AM

Quote:

It's his fish so it's non of your bussiness.
Old 11-01-2010, 01:20 AM

Did a fishery study in the Milk River Ridge Reservoir and Jensen Reservoir in 2005. We test netted weighed and released Pike over 40 pounds. Good luck.

Road hunting is not hunting.
Old 11-01-2010, 02:38 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mooseknuckle View Post
All that said, myself plan on keeping at least one HUGE pike if I ever get one say 27+ not for a meal but for a mount i found the 6-8lb the best for eating. But if I do get that big one in a lake where i can keep it i will just once all others are freed to fight another day. 
If you just take some good pictures that is all you will need for a mount I am not positive but I believe most taxidermist now do not even use the real skin from the fish any more. I'm just saying you can catch an release those trophy's and still do the mount that will look identical. Hope you catch your trophy all the best.

On a different note has anyone fished Cold Lake for pike? I have only fished it for Lake trout and I have caught some absolute slab Lake trout there best fishing of my life our record is 87 in 2 and a half days. Never been to the ocean people who have tell me it is very similar. That is one lake I wish had a slot limit that lake has incredible trophy potential. I have herd there are huge walley in there just very hard to locate. Im not sure but Might be some big Pike in there with how big and deep the lake is.
Old 11-01-2010, 11:20 AM

Cold has trophy fish of all species if you can locate them
Old 11-01-2010, 12:03 PM

Quote:

Don't wreck the thread..
Old 11-01-2010, 12:36 PM

Quote:
What...really! Do u know when these fish were caught just outta curiosity? That's awesome!

As for the original question, largest pike in Alberta, my best guess would be 50-60#s. Don't worry all, I'll find her and post a pic when I doJK
Cheers n GL all
The pike was caught about 17 years ago and the walleye about 8 years ago,from what I remember my uncle Telling me.

My uncle was there when both fish were weighed and Measured.
Old 11-01-2010, 06:22 PM

Quote:
The pike was caught about 17 years ago and the walleye about 8 years ago,from what I remember my uncle Telling me.

My uncle was there when both fish were weighed and Measured.
I see I see, that's awesome. Wish them big boys were still in rattlesnake but that was quite some time ago. Walleye in Murray however, could be some big boys in there but I would'nt know, darn lake always gets the best of me.
Thanx for the info!

Steve, I hear ya on the calculator thing, like stated, I reckon 25-30 is a more accurate guess. But that's all it is, a guess.

Cheers n GL all!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:52 PM

Quote:
I see I see, that's awesome. Wish them big boys were still in rattlesnake but that was quite some time ago. Walleye in Murray however, could be some big boys in there but I would'nt know, darn lake always gets the best of me.
Thanx for the info!

Steve, I hear ya on the calculator thing, like stated, I reckon 25-30 is a more accurate guess. But that's all it is, a guess.

Cheers n GL all!
There are Good Walleye in Murray,you just have to Find them!!,did'nt I tell you months ago where the walleye are in that lake or was it someone else on here?

in 3 days in the spring of 2006 me and my uncle pulled 450 pounds of walleye out of murray,they were all 3 to 7 pounds!!!,and there where alot more left that we saw on his underwater cameras!!!
Old 11-01-2010, 06:57 PM

Quote:

x2
Old 11-02-2010, 10:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Deano85 View Post
x2
x3 (This is the reason why big fish are so few and far between. I saw a guy once pull up a 18-20lber down RR23 got it on the ice then proceed to stomp on the fishes head. It took every ounce of self control from me walking over and sticking the Ice Chisel in his ear. Rules are rules though and prison is prison, regs state that it is legal to keep a pike that is over 63cm in Sylvan Lake. So what can we really do about?)
Old 11-03-2010, 12:40 AM

ruttnbuckjack knows and the fishin geeks are the gurus. if you wanna know about big jacks i would talk to them. great pics boys !!!!!!
Old 11-03-2010, 07:21 AM

Quote:
There are Good Walleye in Murray,you just have to Find them!!,did'nt I tell you months ago where the walleye are in that lake or was it someone else on here?

in 3 days in the spring of 2006 me and my uncle pulled 450 pounds of walleye out of murray,they were all 3 to 7 pounds!!!,and there where alot more left that we saw on his underwater cameras!!!
Ya, I believe u did lol. I ventured out on the yak twice but the wind was not friendly both days. Never managed any fish, just ended up cruising the lake. I will find them, just gotta put forth a decent effort which I don't think I really have...yet. Plan to hit it next once the ice arrives.
450#s - maybe that's why I can't find emJK.
Cheers n GL!
Old 11-03-2010, 07:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TexasTornado View Post
x3 (This is the reason why big fish are so few and far between. I saw a guy once pull up a 18-20lber down RR23 got it on the ice then proceed to stomp on the fishes head. It took every ounce of self control from me walking over and sticking the Ice Chisel in his ear. Rules are rules though and prison is prison, regs state that it is legal to keep a pike that is over 63cm in Sylvan Lake. So what can we really do about?)
Sometimes it is a good thing to get rid of some of the very large ones. I bet a 20 pounder will eat at least 5 lbs of other fish per day. Maybe more. A 20 pounder would proby try to eat a 5 pounder in one bite. I used to have a type of pike from africa in my aquarium. It was about 6" long. Had other fish in there as well about the same size or bigger that it would not touch. I would drop 4 small feeder fish in to feed them, every day. The pike would eat them all before the others had a chance to get them. After about a week the others would get too hungry and corner the pike untill they fed. Just shows you how gready and distructive Pike really are to other fish populations.
Old 11-03-2010, 07:46 AM
Banned

when iwas young, a friend and i would go to newell every april for a 5 day trip. we caught several getting close to 30 pounds, but never broke it. we always caught at least one over 25 every year, sometimes a couple. we all know what has happened to pike populations, but id bet there are plenty of 40s swimming in alberta at the moment.......but try catching one.....
Old 11-03-2010, 10:57 AM

Some of the lakes mentioned, undoubtedly, have a larger population of bigger pike. Most likey the next record will come out of there.

On the other hand, years ago when I lived in Calgary, we used to fish Chestemere lake (a small lake just east of the city) which is now very developed. At that time there was little (no) development North of the bridge other than the boat launch. We caught (and released) hundreds of 2-3lb pike but rarely caught anything larger.

On one summer afternoon - doing what we always do - I landed a pike just under 25lbs.

Fished it for years afterward and probably never caught anything bigger than 5 lbs or so.

Go figure ?????

My vote is on Wabamun simply becuase I have landed some big pigs out of there and it seems on a regular basis. I have a "one that got away" story with myself and my kid where I could not get it in the net (it was way way too long) and the fish was simply to tough to handle with my kid at the boat trying to help. He was scared of the thing !!!. Trying to turn it, after a few failed attempts to get it in the boat, she finaly spit the hook and swam away.

I've had a few snap and destroy 30lb braid (when I did not have my drag re-set properly like a moron). You would think after years of fishing you would automatically re-set your drag up everytime you start. yeah right.

I can tell you, without a doubt, Wabamun is a good candidate.
Old 11-03-2010, 11:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by WayneChristie View Post
Not just Newell, there are a lot of southern reservoirs with the right conditions to produce monster pike. Eventually someone is going to be at the right place with the right lure or bait and land a 40 pound plus, if not 50. The provincial record is going to fall soon.
I'm with Wayne on this one Newell, Rattlesnake, Forty mile, Chin, St. Mary's, even the bow between the forks and Strathmore. Lots of food long growing season and cold deep water in the heat of summer. Personal best is 27 out of Rattlesnake, but have heard of divers stories on Forty mile and Chin.
As noted these big fish eat a diet that is very hard to mimic, we regularly used home made plugs between 8 and 12 in. and didn't even notice a drop in smaller fish caught. If we still regularly catch the little tykes what is needed to mimic a meal for a forty pounder? I think the reason the bigger fish are usually caught ice fishing is that their metabolism is down a bit and they find the smaller dead baits acceptable. Just my thoughts.
Old 11-03-2010, 05:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I'm with Wayne on this one Newell, Rattlesnake, Forty mile, Chin, St. Mary's, even the bow between the forks and Strathmore. Lots of food long growing season and cold deep water in the heat of summer. Personal best is 27 out of Rattlesnake, but have heard of divers stories on Forty mile and Chin.
As noted these big fish eat a diet that is very hard to mimic, we regularly used home made plugs between 8 and 12 in. and didn't even notice a drop in smaller fish caught. If we still regularly catch the little tykes what is needed to mimic a meal for a forty pounder? I think the reason the bigger fish are usually caught ice fishing is that their metabolism is down a bit and they find the smaller dead baits acceptable. Just my thoughts.
I kinda like your theory, when did u land that 27#er?

And Wayne (devoted pike fisherman) curious as to your PB unless u already mentioned it and I missed it? And what lake? A,B, C, D, L, M, N, O, P, lemme guess...lake X!
Cheers n GL all!