Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-04-2011, 08:54 PM
Banned

In late September of 1975 I caught my first trout on a size 14 royal coachman and a bit of coathanger for a weight on the Sheep River, which was quite an accomplishment,, for you older fishermen who remember fishing the Sheep, the whitefish limit was 15 then and the shore was shoulder to shoulder and the river was charcoal gray from side to side for miles on end with rockies.

When it was netted it caused a stir and everybody said nice Dolly Varden (don't get your knickers knot) that's what bulls were called then. It was 2 lbs,, it was fried and eaten that night, it also had two previous fights hooks in its mouth. Burbot was always called Ling and the older old old timers called walleye pickeral. Of easily 1000 fish hauled that day, I caught the only trout and had I become anymore addicted to fishing, my spelling would be that of Fish Hunter7. It didn't help things later when I went to high school 50 feet from two of the best holes on the Elbow, I literally skipped school to fish, sometimes in plain view of my math teacher.
Old 05-04-2011, 09:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha 1 View Post
WOW!!! I just asked a question and got the answer, sorry for asking I guess your more perfect than me...no need to be a tolal @**.
I work in a field that requires me to know correct names of fish, wildlife, trees, etc. so I know what Im talking about when it comes to freshwater fish species and their correct names.

For the record, I wasnt trying to be rude. It appeared that you were new to the names so I was trying to hard wire the correct name into your head before you got used to saying the p.word!

The Quebec name Dore means golden which is why walleyes in Quebec have that local name.

Commercial fishermen across the Prairie Provinces call them yellows but they are sold by them and the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation as Pickerel which btw is the correct way to spell the p.word.

Blue Walleye still exist in many eastern Ontario and western Quebec lakes. They are really neat and if a person sees one, they will know what a blue walleye looks like. Quebecers call them Dore bleu.

Hope were good!
Old 05-04-2011, 11:18 PM

Chinook Salmon aka
Jack Spring under 17 lbs
Spring 17 to 30 lbs
Tyee 30 to 50 lbs
King over 50 lbs

yes to Chain Pickerel in Eastern Canada/States look at markings and gill plate bottom half has scales /Pike does not

Slang in western Canada for Walleye

also in BC they call Lake Trout char /real Artic Char are in Rivers/ lake that flow into Artic.. although it Lake Trout is in the Char family

in BC they call Bull Trout / Dolly Varden .. but they are in Alaska/Yukon/NWT/Sea of Japan area(Dolly) and Northern flowing rivers and migrates to Sea and back unless stocked and they have differn,t number of small gill rakers(21-22)first in jaw area new study in 80's.. Bull Trout have 25 to 30

Food for thought
David
Old 05-04-2011, 11:33 PM

I was brought up in Northern Ontario and the only people who used the term "Walleye" at that time were Americans and Guys on Fishing Shows.That was 20 years ago when I left. I now use the term Walleye about half the time or whenever I am talking fishing with someone I don't know.

Oddly enough,Costco uses the term Pickerel on their Walleye fillets.
Old 05-04-2011, 11:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Speckle55 View Post
Chinook Salmon aka
Jack Spring under 17 lbs
Spring 17 to 30 lbs
Tyee 30 to 50 lbs
King over 50 lbs

yes to Chain Pickerel in Eastern Canada/States look at markings and gill plate bottom half has scales /Pike does not

Slang in western Canada for Walleye

also in BC they call Lake Trout char /real Artic Char are in Rivers/ lake that flow into Artic.. although it Lake Trout is in the Char family

in BC they call Bull Trout / Dolly Varden .. but they are in Alaska/Yukon/NWT/Sea of Japan area(Dolly) and Northern flowing rivers and migrates to Sea and back unless stocked and they have differn,t number of small gill rakers(21-22)first in jaw area new study in 80's.. Bull Trout have 25 to 30

Food for thought
David
You are not entirely correct... sorry. Spring is what we call the Chinook species. King is what the Americans call them. A Tyee is 30 lbs+. A Smiley is 20 lbs but less than 30 lbs. We have rainbows, gerrard rainbows (which are land locked steelhead), kokanee (which are land locked sockeye salmon), dolly varden and bull trout in our lakes in BC. They are all different species. Dollies and Bull trout are often confused by inexperienced anglers but there are pictures in the regs that clearly define them and they look entirely different. I caught a 7 lb Dolly and a 7 lb Rainbow last week within 15 minutes and they were twins in body and head shape but the spots and colouring are entirely different. Trust me, I have caught thousands of fresh water and salt water fish in BC but I happen to live in Calgary for the most part.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Donkey Oatey View Post
Pickerel.

Walleye.
That top one is a chain pickrell , and obvious bottom is Walleye .As for the differances would be size . There habitat is the same as a Pike . other then that I dont know much about them . Except I know I hate when people call Walleye Pickrell .
Old 05-05-2011, 12:22 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tacklerunner View Post
You are not entirely correct... sorry. Spring is what we call the Chinook species. King is what the Americans call them. A Tyee is 30 lbs+. A Smiley is 20 lbs but less than 30 lbs. We have rainbows, gerrard rainbows (which are land locked steelhead), kokanee (which are land locked sockeye salmon), dolly varden and bull trout in our lakes in BC. They are all different species. Dollies and Bull trout are often confused by inexperienced anglers but there are pictures in the regs that clearly define them and they look entirely different. I caught a 7 lb Dolly and a 7 lb Rainbow last week within 15 minutes and they were twins in body and head shape but the spots and colouring are entirely different. Trust me, I have caught thousands of fresh water and salt water fish in BC but I happen to live in Calgary for the most part.
I was Born in Ocean Falls BC.. but hey Chinook aka below is a common name not only American.. but no need to argue .. on the Dolly/Bull Trout if you can tell by looking hhmmm.. also for your knowledge and other's i have a AGFA record book and it gives a discription of each Game Fish(aka etc) .. Btw I have held both IGFA and NFWFHF World Records in Fresh water fishing .. but use the book as a resource when answering question.. David
Old 05-05-2011, 12:26 AM

Quote:
I was Born in Ocean Falls BC.. but hey Chinook aka below is a common name not only American.. but no need to argue .. on the Dolly/Bull Trout if you can tell by looking hhmmm.. also for your knowledge and other's i have a AGFA record book and it gives a discription of each Game Fish(aka etc) .. Btw I have held both IGFA and NFWFHF World Records in Fresh water fishing .. but use the book as a resource when answering question.. David
Please re-read my post again before commenting.
Old 05-05-2011, 12:28 AM

and we are off and running......here comes the boards
Old 05-05-2011, 12:35 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
and we are off and running......here comes the boards
Hey chubb I got lost how did we get to SALMON is that when the Pike, Pickerel and walleye all mate together............
Old 05-05-2011, 12:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Hey chubb I got lost how did we get to SALMON is that when the Pike, Pickerel and walleye all mate together............

hahhahhhhhaa.....do you have radar for gong shows.

Time for a donny and marie tune
Old 05-05-2011, 12:43 AM
Banned

Quote:
hahhahhhhhaa.....do you have radar for gong shows.

Time for a donny and marie tune
Just a nack!
Old 05-05-2011, 12:45 AM

Thanks for post Chinook Salmon aka under is names for Chinook Salmon just as per size.. slang..my post

on Bull/Dolly even the scientist only can tell by using the gill rakers to tell them apart .. colors are changed per area for both .. lots of misinformation.. even by Bio's

Btw did you know the Alberta Record Brook Trout(14#14 oz)World Record(14#8 oz)

Not the Alberta Record Brook Trout is 12#14 oz and it has been a mistake for the last few years in the fishing Guide and on here under trophy.. misprint

Food for Thought
David
Old 05-05-2011, 12:51 AM

Quote:
Please review pages 56 and 57 of the BC regs. Bulls and Dollies look nothing alike and there is only one species of Chinook Salmon. I can't argue against logic and experience; only ignorance. I was born in Nelson BC but only spent 30 years as a resident in the interior and on the coast, although I seem to spend half of each month in BC these days. And I've only fished sal****er for 30 years on the coast of BC, Alaska and in Washington and Oregon. I hold no records that I know of except those that are close to my heart and fresh in my mind that I will never forget. I consider myself a respected and sharing forum member. I am hardly the one to argue with.

http://www.env.gov.bc.ca/fw/fish/regulations/
Old 05-05-2011, 01:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
Just a nack!

hope your nackers can handle another species, cuz a brook trout just swam up the creek
Old 05-05-2011, 04:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by yamaha 1 View Post
WOW!!! I just asked a question and got the answer, sorry for asking I guess your more perfect than me...no need to be a tolal @**.
But hes right , calling a walleye a pickeral is like calling a trout a sucker , the only place you find chain pickeral is in ontario , and they resemble a pike , not walleye , if your going to fish , call them by the right name.
Old 05-05-2011, 07:22 AM
Gone Hunting

The problem with experts is that they know just enough to confuse everyone.

Walleye, Pickrel, Pike, Eye, whatever you call it, it's the same fish. And it's the best eating fish we have. Yeah I know, others will differ. And that's fine.

To each his own.

Fact is, most of the so called experts can't agree on what to call things.
Is it a Sparrow Hawk, no no it's a American Kestral. Is it a Walleye, No it's a Pickral. What does it realy matter, so long as everyone knows what you are talking about.

Let's be honest here. Some day, maybe soon some expert may well decide it isn't a Walleye. Who knows what they will call it then. Perhaps a Black Perch? The rest of us will be told that we are wrong and MUST use the new name.

As for me, I know what a Pickral is and what a Jack is. I know what they taste like cooked, and that's good enough for me.
Old 05-05-2011, 08:03 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimboy View Post
But hes right , calling a walleye a pickeral is like calling a trout a sucker , the only place you find chain pickeral is in ontario , and they resemble a pike , not walleye , if your going to fish , call them by the right name.
You may be right about what their called but you will find them in Qubec,New Brunswick, Nova Scotia and several of the southern states. So if you can get upset if I call a a Walleye a Pickerel,then I guess I can get upset at you for thinking you know where they exist. Face it their fish you call it what you want I'll call it what I want . Let's just hope we all catch lots this year............
Old 05-05-2011, 08:07 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KegRiver View Post
The problem with experts is that they know just enough to confuse everyone.

Walleye, Pickrel, Pike, Eye, whatever you call it, it's the same fish. And it's the best eating fish we have. Yeah I know, others will differ. And that's fine.

To each his own.

Fact is, most of the so called experts can't agree on what to call things.
Is it a Sparrow Hawk, no no it's a American Kestral. Is it a Walleye, No it's a Pickral. What does it realy matter, so long as everyone knows what you are talking about.

Let's be honest here. Some day, maybe soon some expert may well decide it isn't a Walleye. Who knows what they will call it then. Perhaps a Black Perch? The rest of us will be told that we are wrong and MUST use the new name.

As for me, I know what a Pickral is and what a Jack is. I know what they taste like cooked, and that's good enough for me.
Thank you, Well put.....fish is a fish, Walleye- pickeral, its good on the plate.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:14 AM
Banned

Quote:
hope your nackers can handle another species, cuz a brook trout just swam up the creek
I just can't take any more.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg images.jpg (9.1 KB, 59 views)
Old 05-05-2011, 09:21 AM

They're just common names anyways and often used interchangeably. French speaking folks call them dore.

It's not the only fish that has more than one common name; burbot, ling, ling cod, mariah, lawyer fish (aggressive bottom feeders) are all the same fish........[I]lota lota. Hopefully we don't have to start using latin names for every fish.
Old 05-05-2011, 09:23 AM

So why do PICKERAL rigs work so well for WALLEYE??
Old 05-05-2011, 09:45 AM

Because pickeral is their slave name
Old 05-05-2011, 09:55 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhunter View Post
I work in a field that requires me to know correct names of fish, wildlife, trees, etc. so I know what Im talking about when it comes to freshwater fish species and their correct names.

For the record, I wasnt trying to be rude. It appeared that you were new to the names so I was trying to hard wire the correct name into your head before you got used to saying the p.word!

The Quebec name Dore means golden which is why walleyes in Quebec have that local name.

Commercial fishermen across the Prairie Provinces call them yellows but they are sold by them and the Freshwater Fish Marketing Corporation as Pickerel which btw is the correct way to spell the p.word.

Blue Walleye still exist in many eastern Ontario and western Quebec lakes. They are really neat and if a person sees one, they will know what a blue walleye looks like. Quebecers call them Dore bleu.

Hope were good!
I think your field of work requires you to know the most recognized common name, not the "correct" name as you call it. Pickerel is also a "common name" for what you would call walleye, as is various other names used in different regions. Most fish have different common names in different area's they are found with typically one common name that would be considered the most recognized. The only true name of any fish is the scientific name - as it is universal.
Old 05-05-2011, 10:52 AM

So then, if you know a walleye as a pickerel, can you win in court?

I still lose bait that way.

UPS will fondle your animals!!
Old 05-05-2011, 10:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishBrain View Post
So then, if you know a walleye as a pickerel, can you win in court?

Cha-Ching......that drives the point home!!!!!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:24 AM
Banned

Chain Pickerel are a trout eating menace in NB and NS that quickly dominate lakes where they are ILLEGALLY introduced by bucket biologists and annhialate the resident native trout populations,then they turn cannibal on themselves after they've eaten all the trout!!.....I hate them toothy bastids almost as much as I hate smallmouth,likely only because smb are more popular and more often introduced as an illegal alien by the bucket brigades.http://www.gnb.ca/0078/publications/ChainPickerel-e.pdf

Last edited by grinr; 05-05-2011 at 11:32 AM.
Old 05-05-2011, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by TyreeUM View Post
I think your field of work requires you to know the most recognized common name, not the "correct" name as you call it. Pickerel is also a "common name" for what you would call walleye, as is various other names used in different regions. Most fish have different common names in different area's they are found with typically one common name that would be considered the most recognized. The only true name of any fish is the scientific name - as it is universal.
Being half right makes you half wrong. I NEED TO KNOW the correct name as it is written in our legislation. Walleye is written in the fishery regulations whereas the p.word isnt.

Should one appear in court, the documents will show walleye as the legal name even though the fish may have been called the p.word locally. Commercial sales included.

I love it when people try to tell me what my job is!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Cha-Ching......that drives the point home!!!!!
No!
Old 05-05-2011, 11:43 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gatorhunter View Post
No!
so you believe if you stand in front of a Judge in Alberta and say....' your Honour im innocent of the charge of having 20 walleye in my possesion because i call them Pickerel'......your innocent?