Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Closed Thread

Old 07-24-2011, 11:40 PM

Default set up thread

This is a set up...Gray has one post (this one) and then uses the "no english" card....
Old 07-24-2011, 11:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badback View Post
This is a set up...Gray has one post (this one) and then uses the "no english" card....
like a sting op
Old 07-24-2011, 11:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by timsesink View Post
Englsih or no English in Canada ignorance is no excuse. Your dad messed up and I hope his buddy has the book thrown at him. Lesson learned, pay the fine, move on.
X2
Old 07-24-2011, 11:44 PM

Best advice: man up, and endure the consequences. Whether 2 or 3 rods were his, he had too many lines in the water. If a person doesn't know the regs, they should not be fishing. If they decide to fish in spite of that, they'd better be willing to face the music.
I'd say a mandatory court appearance is a pretty good indication that this is a fairly big deal, though. As others have brought up, some charges include a voluntary payment option, much like a speeding ticket.

"This Brittany is my most cherished possession — the darndest bird-finder I have ever seen, a tough and wiry little dog with a choke-bored nose and the ability to read birds’ minds." -Jack O'Connor
Old 07-24-2011, 11:45 PM

hey best guide the f&w finally came to your phone calls maybe! no sympathy from me here, you poach you pay. best advice I can give is man up pay the piper and learn so that in the future you follow the rules and have no issues.
Old 07-24-2011, 11:50 PM

If your seriously looking for advice I would plead guilty and hope the judge takes it easy on you for admitting to the mistakes and not wasting the courts time.

Personally I have no sympathy because you dont speak one of the official langauges. If I were to go to some other country were I didnt speak the language they would not show me any sympathy for breaking the law.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 07-25-2011, 01:09 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
Ask yourself this.....how many of you have reported a wildlife offence properly and it led to a conviction?
i have....twice. this is the most recent one.

http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showt...ght=court+case

the first time was similar to this....the guy spoke little english and couldnt ID a mule deer even after he killed it!
Old 07-25-2011, 01:16 AM

Don't worry, he'll get off with minimal charges. No speaka englais = do whatever you want. If you're from here or native forget about it, probably get 5 or 6 years in prison and never be able to get a decent job ever again.
Old 07-25-2011, 05:06 AM

Go to court with your father and be as respectfull and curtious to the court as possible. The only way to keep the fine as small as possible. Dont get me wrong he will still get a fine the question is just how much? Depends what kind of mood the judge is in. Have you read the regs to your father yet? If not why not?
Old 07-25-2011, 07:15 AM

He was obviously guilty as you have stated in your single post. Tell him mto admit guilt...pay the fine..don't repeat history again.

The judge will likely go easy on him. The fact that you did not mention species is intriguing. Please tell us what the fish were.

Simple answer.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BGAngler View Post
Is there a listing of fines broken down? Barbs, keeping over limit, etc? I'm curious how much a fine would be for keeping a bull.
I searched high and low, including act's and regulations. no fine schedule. odd? I think its a descretionary fine with minimum's and maximum's based on severity of the offence.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slivers86 View Post
I searched high and low, including act's and regulations. no fine schedule. odd? I think its a descretionary fine with minimum's and maximum's based on severity of the offence.
Not quite. :

http://www.canlii.org/en/ca/laws/reg...or-98-246.html

Bottom of the page, Schedule 9

Catching and retaining more than daily quota

100, plus 20 for each fish in excess of the quota to a maximum of $1, 000

Exceeding possession limit

100, plus 20 for each fish in excess of possession limit to a maximum of $1, 000

Angling with more than one line in open water $50

There are more, and yes, they are terribly low!
Old 07-25-2011, 07:39 AM

There are two seperate issues here. One is the " 3 " line vs " 2 " line
issue. It would be best if you helped to represent your father on this one.
" 4 " lines.... " 2 " fisherman ..... this one has the best chance of being
explained and knocked down to a simple fine or if the judge is in an
understanding mood. He may drop it.

On the issue of to many fish ! No math to do here. To many fish
are simply to many fish.

I hope things turn out well.

Post the results if you can.......
Old 07-25-2011, 07:47 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmyhusband View Post
Not quite. :

100, plus 20 for each fish in excess of possession limit to a maximum of $1, 000

its like murder... 20 years... get out after 6.5
Old 07-25-2011, 08:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gray View Post
Hi all. I'm trying to do some research for my dad who is now in some trouble. Hopefully someone can help. .................................................. .................................................. .............................. If anyone has any input, that would be great. Thank you.
Welcome to the forum.

Don't think I need to add much else.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:10 AM

I think the minimum fine for most fishing violations is about $200.
Old 07-25-2011, 08:45 AM

There is a really handy stand at almost every location where you register for a license with countless copies of the rules and regs. The language barrier shouldn't create ignorance but emphasize urgency to understand before I do... You wouldn't jump in front of a car at an intersection because language stopped you from understanding the signs and signals to look for.
Old 07-25-2011, 09:17 AM

Interesting responses.

On his father's behalf, he admitted the violations and he's accepting the consequences for his mistakes. All he's asking for is some information on what to expect and possibly options to reduce the fines. It's always nice getting a kick in the balls after admitting a mistake.

Gray, read over what Chubbdarter has said and go from there. Look at the ticket and find out who you can call to get more information. Be polite and I'm sure you'll be able to find out enough information (via phone) to know what you're facing. I'm purely guessing at this point, but I imagine there may be fine reductions available based on early payment, ability to pay, number of previous infractions, etc. There might be options to make interim payments as well.

Anyhow, take this is as a learning experience and go over the fishing regulations with your father. Do this annually (new regs every year) and make sure he understands the rules for the areas in which he fishes.

Good luck.
Old 07-25-2011, 11:10 AM

If this was on the Bow in the city on saturday tell you dad thanks for cash..... just another poacher in the long line of RAP call ins i make every day,
Old 07-25-2011, 11:50 AM

I'm guessing this is spam.

If it's not, I have zero sympathy and I hope they throw the book at him.
Old 07-25-2011, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishfinder View Post
welcome to the forum!
lol
Old 07-25-2011, 12:20 PM

Did this violation happen at the narrows in lac St. Anne about 2 weeks ago? If yes then I was there and witnessed the whole thing. 2 guys keeping walleye and using multiple rods, one older guy sitting down with 2-3 rods out, the other guy 10 feet away. Officers came and the younger guy had to translate everything.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:27 PM
Banned

Don't bring your dads buddy to court, get tried seperately,, go with him yourself as translator.
Old 07-25-2011, 02:34 PM

Old 07-25-2011, 05:52 PM

Thank you for all who provided actual responses. I am not a hunter/fisherman myself so I do not know all the rules and feel it is really unfair to be attacked here. I wasn't looking for sympathy. I just wanted to see if anyone had heard of similar encounter so I know what to expect in court (I tried searching and couldn't come up with anything). I could have just asked what is the fine for breaking the rule, but I knew I would get attacked if I asked that. Instead, I decided to give a back of background such as my dad didn't speak English so that you guys would know he didn't knowingly break the rule and is asking for an easy way out.

Anyway, my dad first got his fishing license about fifteen years ago. I was still in elementary (or junior high, I can't remember) but my older brother and my mom read the regulations at the time. When we took family trips, they would always check the catching limits at each lake we visited. My brother and I were both underage at the time and always had three lines or less at a time. I don't think there was a problem there.

As the years went on, my brother and I grew up and became busy with school and work. We stopped going on the family trips and instead my dad found new friends (from work or other friends) to go fishing with. His friends told him the regulations for the new lakes they took him to (and he trusted them) and he knew not to violate them.

As for exceeding the number of lines, the friend told him they were allowed two lines each, but it turns out (as i'm sure the rest of you know), that is he is confusing with the ice fishing rules.

Yes, he violated the regulations. He knows that and I know that.

Quote:
Originally Posted by nichead View Post
Did this violation happen at the narrows in lac St. Anne about 2 weeks ago? If yes then I was there and witnessed the whole thing. 2 guys keeping walleye and using multiple rods, one older guy sitting down with 2-3 rods out, the other guy 10 feet away. Officers came and the younger guy had to translate everything.
Possibly. I think my dad mentioned his new fishing spot was close to Devil's Lake (where we have gone a few times as a family). It think it happend the week of July 16/17. My mom left the country on July 12th and he must have gotten himself in trouble that weekend. I've been busy with moving this month and last night was the first time I've been back to visit him since before my mom left. As usual, I asked if he went fishing on Saturday and he quietly told me how he screwed up. He told me how it was unfair that the officer tagged him with the third rod, but other than that he was just really afraid of the huge fine he would have to face. He was even hesitant to ask me to go to court with him (which would be in Stony Plain) as he knows I have a strict work schedule. Of course, I will make sure to go to court with him and will take the suggestion to call the officer beforehand to get an understanding of the charges. Anyway, as soon as I got home last night, I tried to do some research and ended up here with my post. And yes, I work a full time job, so I couldn't check the forum again until I got home from work just now (whoever was trying to accuse me otherwise).

To those of you who disagree with any of this, please just be respectful and ignore this thread. I can tell my dad has been very affected by it and it has had me very stressed out since I found out last night. We are not like some people who haul boats and have fancy trucks so we can't just throw money at the problem like nothing. This is not a joke to us. What happened has happened and yes, lesson learned if my dad can still fish again. I will make sure to keep an eye on him from now on. If you can't be helpful, then don't say anything at all.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by missmyhusband View Post
Not quite. :

Thank you. That was what I had been looking for. does anyone know - if there is a prescribed fine, how come my dad still has a mandatory court date?
Old 07-25-2011, 06:18 PM

should probably reserve judgement until you know the rest of the story.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
should probably reserve judgement until you know the rest of the story.
The rest of the story???You either follow regulations or you don't.
Old 07-25-2011, 06:40 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by baitfisher83 View Post
The rest of the story???You either follow regulations or you don't.
thats not what hes talking about. he is talking about how both him and his father both acknowledge that it is wrong that the regs wernt fallowed and accept the consequences. the guy was only looking for advice on how to help his father. he wasnt making excuses. alot of the people on this forum have their heads up their asses(the definition of an asshat). ya its wrong. they know its wrong. leave it at that.
Old 07-25-2011, 07:04 PM

Sure he broke the law but here is just a dumb thought......Depending on what language his dad speaks do they not require an interpeter for his dad in the court and if so perhaps it might even get thrown out Who Knows just a thought.....
Closed Thread