Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Archery Discussion

Old 10-21-2014, 11:20 PM

Default Floss as peep alternative?

Has anyone ever tried using 2 pieces of floss or serving as a rear sight instead of a peep? I am currently using only a kisser button but i'm thinking of trying this out.
I understand this is old school but i see the logic behind it.
Your thoughts!?
Old 10-22-2014, 08:35 AM

I never have liked the idea of a peep so, years ago, I tied some floss to my string - white floss on a black string. Thought I would see the color difference but it was hard to pick up, with the string so close to my eye (I have perfect vision too) and focusing on the sight and my target. Better solution, for me, was to tie a floss 'bump'. I could see the bump in the string while still focusing on the sight and my target. Worked pretty well. Might be a better solution for you.
Old 10-22-2014, 08:42 AM

Very old school...before decent kisser buttons and nock points...

If one has decent and sucure anchor points you shouldnt need that...

I only use the Kisser also, the kisser tucked securely in the corner of the mouth, string lightly on face, dominant shooting right eye on right side of string...release hand tucked solid on jaw in cup of hand between thumb and trigger finger or index finger

These solid anchor points prevent anchoring on the draw...high-low or left or right..other than dead on each time.....eliminating the need for a peep for myself...

When I draw I do not/can not see the string or cables...that set up will force you to focus periodically ...taking your eye off the target which should be your main focus...

If groups are all over...its likely an anchor issue...not a sight issue

IMHO...either use a peep or NOT!!!

Neil
Old 10-22-2014, 10:30 AM

So Neil, you're sayin you don't allign the tip of the pins with the side of the string? I'm experiencing the "in and out" of focus you you mention between the pins/string. A constant anchor with the string completely invisible is what you're suggesting if going without peep?
Old 10-22-2014, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bowhunter1981 View Post
So Neil, you're sayin you don't allign the tip of the pins with the side of the string? I'm experiencing the "in and out" of focus you you mention between the pins/string. A constant anchor with the string completely invisible is what you're suggesting if going without peep?

No I dont align tip of pins or anything to string...
string is invisible to me...

your issue is you may be trying to look at pins to aim...

it is Impossible for the human eye to focus on two things at any given time...SOOO

As an accurate archery shooter we only look at target..."aim small to miss small"...or better put dont aim for the X ...aim for the center of the X...

The PINS are seen thru our Peripheral vision while aiming at center of X...we stare at target and bring pins to that point ....and shoot...

The further away the pins from your eye the clearer they will be in that Peripheral vision....hence why target archers will have a super long sight bar

If you focus on pins the target becomes blurry or even double vision as it is further away

Same as with using a peep...the peep is just another anchor of sort

Clear as mud?

lol

Neil
Old 10-22-2014, 02:34 PM

Yep that's a big 10-4 rubber ducky! Thanks
Old 10-22-2014, 04:12 PM

If you are going to do that why not just use a peep?
Old 10-22-2014, 06:38 PM

Just used to no peep, and all the lighting, twisting, strength reduction issues i ve heard about i think i ll just stick to what i know. Not to mention the best shooter i know doesn t need one so why should i?
Old 10-22-2014, 07:30 PM

Default Floss as peep alternative?

I also use no peep sight on my hunting how for the reasons you mentioned, haven't for the last 18 or so years. Like Neil says, it's all about consistent anchors and focusing on the smallest part of the target that is discernible to you. One thing I do to ensure I am in the right place with my eye is to move into the string from left to right (right hand shooter) until my view goes blurry, which tells me I'm trying to look through the string) and then I back out (to the left) until it fleas up again. Sounds like I shoot from the opposite side of the string as Neil, but it really makes no difference as long as you hit the same spot consistently. Anyhow, this is something I do to help get away from left/right errors when shooting my hunting bow. Other tools to help with torque and anchor points is a no-peep, and an anchor sight. Both do a great job of reaffirming your position. If you use one you likely won't even look at it after a while, but I won't be without one!

Hope this helps a bit!

Norm
Old 10-27-2014, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by normanrd View Post
I also use no peep sight on my hunting how for the reasons you mentioned, haven't for the last 18 or so years. Like Neil says, it's all about consistent anchors and focusing on the smallest part of the target that is discernible to you. One thing I do to ensure I am in the right place with my eye is to move into the string from left to right (right hand shooter) until my view goes blurry, which tells me I'm trying to look through the string) and then I back out (to the left) until it fleas up again. Sounds like I shoot from the opposite side of the string as Neil, but it really makes no difference as long as you hit the same spot consistently. Anyhow, this is something I do to help get away from left/right errors when shooting my hunting bow. Other tools to help with torque and anchor points is a no-peep, and an anchor sight. Both do a great job of reaffirming your position. If you use one you likely won't even look at it after a while, but I won't be without one!

Hope this helps a bit!

Norm

Exactally ...only differance is left adjustment on sight bar..for manymain sight ring will be too far left and sight windage bar ends up too short...with viewing on right side of string sight bar is centered...

Neil