Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 06-07-2022, 10:42 AM

Congrats man! Keep fighting this ugly mother cracker with all your arms, legs and teeth! Never give up, never surrender!
Old 06-07-2022, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
Well AO you may not be rid of me yet...

6 days ago my diagnosis was terminal stage 4 cancer with no possible treatment. Sigh!

Yesterday I had a bone marrow biopsy (ouch!) And the diagnosis is definite. I do have multiple myeloma but the good news is I started treatment yesterday and I am being transferred to the Cross Cancer Institute today for more acute care. I was told I may be able to go home in a couple weeks with continued treatment out of the Hinton Hospital as day treatment. I am still healthy otherwise and my organs are cancer free. I look like I typically do, too bad lol. So my strength and health will carry me through this. I remain positive and hold on to no anger or remorse. I am taking this daily and very hopeful for a near normal life. There is no doubt in my mind that the support and faith of family and friends has got me to where I am today! Thanks AO for being part of that! I still believe my words in my 1st post hold true!

Thank you to everyone on AO for posting your kind words of encouragement especially to those who are in a battle like me. My heart goes out to each and everyone of you and if you need support or want to share experiences please reach out to me. It would be good for both of us! The AO support group is strong!

I am starting to blah blah blah, I just had to share this bit of good news. Never give in and keep the faith!

Sincerely
Carl
When you first posted this thread, I just had no words, I've had to deal with about the same, while not me family members.

I'm so glad to hear this news, and you never blah blah blah bud, we are all part of this big group, and seem we all have each other's backs.

Once again, great news, and keep us posted... you got this!!
Old 06-24-2022, 07:51 PM

So I got a call from the oncologist and nurse at the CCI. I I was scared as heck by the call as the nurse was just about in tears. They were tears of joy!!! I don't know how they do this line of work, to me they are saints. So I have not finished my first round of chemotherapy yet but already they said my cancer enzymes are down by 50%. The nurse was reading the oncologists report who she has worked with for many years. She said 'he never writes his reports like this! It is full of exclamation marks and positive emotions!' I know when I spoke with him he was a pretty dry professional guy. So I will take this as a positive. I have made dietary changes and every day I say cancer is not welcome in my body. Since I first found out my diagnosis I was ready to fight. It was much harder knowing something was wrong and not being heard. All my praise goes out to my new family doctor at the Lake Louise Medical Clinic who listened to me and diagnosed me within 2 weeks after a 6 month battle if trying to be heard elsewhere. I feel extremely fortunate for the way things are playing out, for the way my body and mind are working, for my medical team, and for the support of family and friends. What a journey and learning experience! My thoughts and prayers go out to all who battle this horrible disease. God bless! Thanks AO for your continued support!

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 06-24-2022, 07:53 PM
AO Sponsor

Quote:
So I got a call from the oncologist and nurse at the CCI. I I was scared as heck by the call as the nurse was just about in tears. They were tears of joy!!! I don't know how they do this line of work, to me they are saints. So I have not finished my first round of chemotherapy yet but already they said my cancer enzymes are down by 50%. The nurse was reading the oncologists report who she has worked with for many years. She said 'he never writes his reports like this! It is full of exclamation marks and positive emotions!' I know when I spoke with him he was a pretty dry professional guy. So I will take this as a positive. I have made dietary changes and every day I say cancer is not welcome in my body. Since I first found out my diagnosis I was ready to fight. It was much harder knowing something was wrong and not being heard. All my praise goes out to my new family doctor at the Lake Louise Medical Clinic who listened to me and diagnosed me within 2 weeks after a 6 month battle if trying to be heard elsewhere. I feel extremely fortunate for the way things are playing out, for the way my body and mind are working, for my medical team, and for the support of family and friends. What a journey and learning experience! My thoughts and prayers go out to all who battle this horrible disease. God bless! Thanks AO for your continued support!
I am so happy to hear this news sir!! Please keep at it and thank god for every moment have taken back!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 06-24-2022, 07:55 PM

In the unspoken foreground, you are assuredly on my mind in regards of returned health..
Old 06-24-2022, 08:03 PM

Great news!! Keep on keepin' on....!!
Old 06-24-2022, 08:10 PM

Best news of the day by a mile. Glad to hear you're on the right track!

You can, you should, & if you're brave enough to start, you will. Stephen King
Old 06-24-2022, 08:38 PM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Such great news.
You are a warrior!

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 06-24-2022, 08:40 PM

Great to hear the good news.
Old 06-24-2022, 08:43 PM

Just roll with them punches and keep moving forward, happy to hear the news.

AS always all the best.
JD
Old 06-24-2022, 08:48 PM

Really happy to read this news. Miracles do indeed happen and I'm very glad they're happening for you.

Keep kicking this thing in the balls Tele
Old 06-24-2022, 08:50 PM

So happy for you teledogs. Keep up the good work and positive vibes. Sending them to you from here for sure.
Old 06-25-2022, 06:30 AM

Great news indeed...Keep on fighting!...
Old 06-25-2022, 06:35 AM

Happy for you my man!!

Thomas Sowell
Old 06-25-2022, 07:54 AM

Quote:
Cancer has been a hard hitter in my family. Not often I see great news on treatment --- this is outstanding and really tugged my heart in a good way. I am so glad for you and wish you all the best on the future.
Old 06-25-2022, 10:08 AM

Excellent post Teledogs. God Bless. Work / Trust your team. 👍 Now enjoy the Weekend. Keep
Old 06-25-2022, 11:13 AM

Awesome great news. Thanks for sharing.
Thank God!
Old 06-26-2022, 07:46 AM

Quote:
Wow. I started crying again as memories flooded back from my cancer diagnosis and getting great news after surgery. Great to hear you are in a much better place now as treatment is progressing well. I’ll pray for continued improvement.

Interesting you mentioned diet. It’s one I’ve heard myself. Removing carbs can help. Maybe later you can elaborate on what you’ve done.

If you get to Calgary, I’ll have to take you out on my local lake fishing.

Stay strong and puck Cancer!
It is not the most intellectual of the species that survives; it is not the strongest that survives; but the species that survives is the one that is able best to adapt and adjust to the changing environment in which it finds itself. Charles Darwin
Old 06-26-2022, 10:01 PM

Such great news! Keep fighting the good fight!
Old 06-27-2022, 08:50 PM

That's Excellent news Carl, great to hear!
Good luck to you and your son moose hunting this fall👍👍👍
Old 06-27-2022, 08:55 PM

We are all proud of you and the fight you are giving. Never quit, you are the
Man.
Old 06-28-2022, 01:31 PM

This is fantastic news, Teledogs!

I can guarantee that it's bringing hope to others here who are struggling with health issues of their own. Our thoughts and prayers are with you, Sir!
Old 06-28-2022, 04:16 PM

That's awesome Teledogs. Great news. Keep fighting those cancer cells one by one till you win
Old 07-01-2022, 04:14 AM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I could talk about my childhood friend who lost his battle just days after our last visit. Or the battle my sister fought and lost, or my friend from grade school who lost her battel on Christmas day several years ago.

But I'm more concerned with your future beyond this life. Yes you have a future beyond this plain.

For all of us, our time on Earth is limited. We will all fight our final battle some day. What lies beyond is what counts in the long run.

I don't like to preach. It is much more comfortable to let someone else do that. But a friend says what needs to be said.

So all I will say is;

"Your sins are forgiven." "It is finished." "Only believe."

Some day I WILL see you in Heaven, hopefully many years from now, for both of us.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 11-02-2022, 11:14 AM

Well November is here...

Since my diagnosis in May my time has been spent preparing for now. I have been on chemotherapy for 5 months and getting my mind and body ready for my upcoming bone marrow transplant. It has gone very well but the biggest challenge is mental. It has been quite difficult being the guy with cancer.
Tomorrow I am off to Edmonton and the preliminary tests and training for the transplant starts. Echocardiogram, blood work, physical strength tests and the training. The nurses reassure me I am stronger than most going through this.
After 2 days of tests I am going to Olds to hunt with my son for a week or so. This will really help my state of mind. I was not going to hunt big game this fall but I feel stronger than I thought I would and it will be great to enter the next phase on a high.
Then on November 17, my birthday, I will be back at the CCI for a central line install and my bone marrow harvesting commences on the 20th. It takes 1-5 days to collect so I will be there a little over a week and staying at Amy's House, a place I am grateful for. The house is for cancer patients that live outside the city and is free of charge. A great organization to donate to.
So if all goes well during the harvesting I will return to the CCI in 2-3 weeks for the transplant. This will be a month of isolation in hospital. My immune system will be wiped out including all past immunizations and they kickstart it with the bone marrow they harvested. This will kick the snot out of me but I am ready. I will update more as I go through this process. Although incurable I am optimistic to be in remission after treatment.
If I feel well after the harvesting I plan in hunting with my son for the last week of November. Many thanks to the medical staff, my family and friends, AO, and especially my wife who is always there for me. She is amazing!
Keeping up the fight!
Carl

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend
Old 11-02-2022, 11:20 AM

Thank you for the update, and sincerely wishing you the best of luck and recovery through this next phase. Your attitude is simply amazing to me.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 11-02-2022, 11:37 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Best of luck, a little outdoors time will be just some awesome therapy.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 11-02-2022, 11:40 AM

Your a brave man with a hell of a good attitude. I'm pulling for you to get past it , and enjoy life with many more hunting seasons.
Old 11-02-2022, 11:51 AM
AO Sponsor

Keep at it teledogs! You got an entire community here rooting for you!
Bay #6, 1303 44th ave NE
Calgary AB, T2E6L5
bobbybirds@icloud.com
www.urbanexp.ca

Leviticus 23: 4-18: "he that scopeth a lever, or thou allow a scope to lie with a lever as it would lie with a bolt action, shall have created an abomination and shall perish in the fires of Hell forever and ever.....plus GST" - huntinstuff April 07/23
Old 11-02-2022, 12:18 PM

Good to read about your treatment plan and great to read that your optimism is in place and strong. We live in amazing medical times. And know your gumption is inspirational to me too.

Six weeks ago I was told I had 2 to 6 weeks to live and then I was offered treatments that could extend my life for a bit longer. I have gone through 2 five hour treatments so far with minimal side effects and I find I am optimistic that I too might be able to get out for a deer hunt in a week or so. Doctors may cure but nature heals.

Together we shall overcome and let's look forward to future hunts. I am not far from where you will be in treatment and if I can bring you anything just let me know. I will be at the CCI more than once this month too.

We all wish you the best Teledogs. My faith is with you.
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets