Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-04-2012, 04:20 PM

Default Hunting on private or lease land.

Our ranch has been in our family for 127 years and we hunt Elk, mule deer, whitetail and bear(we being myself, brother and dad). I find it interesting how people think they can still hunt without permission. We let a few people in a year to hunt providing they let one of us know each each time they are coming, do not drive off our trails and do not leave garbage. I think that is reasonable as we dont want to go hunting in the same area as someone else and chance scaring away the BIG one or vice versa. Also ranchers lease land for a certain amount of years and is no different from renting a house or office. If you would like to hunt on leased land in my eyes you need to get permision from the one who is paying for it,cows or no cows. There is a very good chance that if you ask you shall receive.

Just my 2 cents.
Old 10-04-2012, 04:47 PM

Gotta respect that. Exactly correct.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boppers View Post
.... Also ranchers lease land for a certain amount of years and is no different from renting a house or office. If you would like to hunt on leased land in mye yes you need to get permision from the one who is paying for it,cows or no cows. There is a very good chance that if you ask you shall receive.

Just my 2 cents.
it is different, renting a house or office is private property,leases are public property that we rent to you,tennant!
Old 10-04-2012, 05:29 PM

Quote:
....you need to get permision from the one who is paying for it,cows or no cows.
don't need permission, users only need to meet the access conditions as per the Alberta Government website. cows or no cows,,,,hmmm I vote no cows.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:40 PM

I agree another landowner who thinks they own our land and think we should beg to use it to many of these people around.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:41 PM

Thats all fine and dady but who gets to clean up the garbage that is left from those disrespectfull hunters (not saying you are one of them). Its the one paying for the land. There is nothing wrong with someone going on a lease to hunt but the majority that I have seen leave garbage around and I know it is not my right to say yes or no you cannot go on there and I wouldnt do that but its gonna suck if I dont know your there and go riding through to the next field to check cows and spook your deer. Just saying that if you know whose renting or can see a house its not hard to let them know your gonna be there. Were all in this together so lets watch each others backs.
Old 10-04-2012, 05:49 PM

Quote:
Thats all fine and dady but who gets to clean up the garbage that is left from those disrespectfull hunters (not saying you are one of them). Its the one paying for the land. There is nothing wrong with someone going on a lease to hunt but the majority that I have seen leave garbage around and I know it is not my right to say yes or no you cannot go on there and I wouldnt do that but its gonna suck if I dont know your there and go riding through to the next field to check cows and spook your deer. Just saying that if you know whose renting or can see a house its not hard to let them know your gonna be there. Were all in this together so lets watch each others backs.
I agree X10
Old 10-04-2012, 06:11 PM

Quote:
we use a simple rule on our land it is walk on only. That way everyone knows who is trespassing.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:20 PM

Also there are very very few people who take the time to learn what fence is the lease boundary and where private land starts and then call us land owners jerks when they shoot a buck half a mile off the lease and we get upset. All it takes is a little common sence and curticy and there's no issues anywhere.
Old 10-04-2012, 06:41 PM

I find this very interesting. Whether or not there are cows on the leased land, it`s just common courtesy to contact the person before accessing the land. I really can`t see why anyone would be upset about doing that.

Sometimes I have to shake my head at some of the "arguments" made here.

Besides, usually the person who is leasing the land is an excellent source of information as well.
Old 10-04-2012, 07:06 PM

does anybody know of any good hunting land by westlock?
Old 10-04-2012, 07:43 PM

I agree 100% muzzleloader. Well said
Old 10-04-2012, 07:45 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
I agree 100% muzzleloader. Well said
....and posts #3,4 and 5 are why there is at times some friction. ALWAYS ASK!!!....usually makes your day go better
Old 10-04-2012, 08:24 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzleloader16 View Post
I find this very interesting. Whether or not there are cows on the leased land, it`s just common courtesy to contact the person before accessing the land. I really can`t see why anyone would be upset about doing that.
I agree. Not only to be courteous but also to follow the proper procedure for accessing the lease. Has something changed since last year???? The last that I heard was that you had to contact the person leasing the land prior going on it otherwise you are more or less trespassing.

Anyway, proper procedure or not, it only makes sense to me that you should let the leaser know that you want to enter the land that he leases.
Old 10-04-2012, 09:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
.....The last that I heard was that you had to contact the person leasing the land prior going on it otherwise you are more or less trespassing.

this is not correct.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:11 PM

lease land , you just have to contact lease owner , let him know your going. and follow the drive or walk in only acsess . they cannot refuse to let you go. also by oct 31 all live stock has to be out.
Old 10-04-2012, 10:28 PM

In Alberta there are about five million acres of public land under agricultural lease that hunters may access.Whether you wish to hunt on agricultural public land or privately owned land, there are some steps you need to complete before you enter onto the land.

If you wish to access agricultural public land, you must first contact the leaseholder and provide information about your visit. Although leaseholders must allow reasonable access to the land for recreation, there are some circumstances where the leaseholder may deny or apply conditions to access.

Similarly, if you wish to access privately owned land, you must first contact the landowner, or the landowner’s designated contact person, for permission. In contrast to the holder of an agricultural or grazing lease, a landowner may deny you access for any reason

This is the issue. Theres a good chance that your going to get a YES but please look up the laws before you go so you dont look like a moron folks.
Old 10-04-2012, 11:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by muzzleloader16 View Post

Sometimes I have to shake my head at some of the "arguments" made here.

Besides, usually the person who is leasing the land is an excellent source of information as well.
Yup.
Having good manners never hurt anyone but they might open a few doors for those that have and use em.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:08 AM

You Know Nait, I think you are one of these guys that thinks he can do what ever when ever how ever with no consquence. You have nothing but negative replys to just about every thread. maybe its time to actually get a life, move on take up a hobby,,maybe knitting is your forte.

Respect is earned not freely givin, how hard is it to ask a landowner or lease holder "hey Is alright if I hunt this peice of land you have ?" 9 chances out of 10 there will be no issue. Its landowners that deal with guys like you that are starting to get sick of the B$%%%%****T and deny the hunting.

Just yesterday i went and personally talked to 10 different landowner and lease holders about hunting a specific coulee in a 10 mile stretch. Some were hesitent because of all the BS guys like you create. and others were suceptable and accomadating, In the end I got all the permissions i needed.
You come across like an idiot that thinks they know everything and you wont get squat.

Trust me if you came to my door asking for permission,,i would run your AZZ out.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:29 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sunsetrider2011 View Post
You Know Nait, I think you are one of these guys that thinks he can do what ever when ever how ever with no consquence. You have nothing but negative replys to just about every thread. maybe its time to actually get a life, move on take up a hobby,,maybe knitting is your forte.

Respect is earned not freely givin, how hard is it to ask a landowner or lease holder "hey Is alright if I hunt this peice of land you have ?" 9 chances out of 10 there will be no issue. Its landowners that deal with guys like you that are starting to get sick of the B$%%%%****T and deny the hunting.

Just yesterday i went and personally talked to 10 different landowner and lease holders about hunting a specific coulee in a 10 mile stretch. Some were hesitent because of all the BS guys like you create. and others were suceptable and accomadating, In the end I got all the permissions i needed.
You come across like an idiot that thinks they know everything and you wont get squat.

Trust me if you came to my door asking for permission,,i would run your AZZ out.
Wow! You must be a carpenter my friend, you hit the nail right on the heard right there. LOL, glad to hear more than just me think this way.
Old 10-05-2012, 06:57 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pincherguy View Post
Wow! You must be a carpenter my friend, you hit the nail right on the heard right there. LOL, glad to hear more than just me think this way.
You have 6 minutes to change "heard" to "head".
Old 10-05-2012, 09:02 AM

Quote:

HAHAHAHA...i respect your opinion more than you respect the land.

when you down in.... that coulee, could you haul out that old washer four me that the leasee dump right there.....please.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nait Hadya View Post
HAHAHAHA...i respect your opinion more than you respect the land.

when you down in.... that coulee, could you haul out that old washer four me that the leasee dump right there.....please.
Where do you think I dont respect the land Nait? You know nothing about the operations. I dont care what peice of property we have wether deeded or leased its is clean of junk or refuse. have spent the last 30 years making it so.

Are you sure the leasee dumped the old washer there?
Old 10-05-2012, 09:35 AM

Default Respect

I fully agree we all need to respect the rights of landowners, one usefull tool I found throughout my days and am seeing very little of anymore is the "Use Respect" signs that gave you a contact number and sometimes an address to meet and obtain permission. It is getting harder to gain access and myself get frustrated but still respect the landowners rights. I find that in some areas you need multiple county maps to find the landowner and the property size and leases. I just got turned around on a range road the other day by some younger guy that could have been more polite but I did turn around even though I was on a dead end range road because I was not certain if it was his land or if it was Lease/private or public. In order for me to get a county map I had would have had to travel 150km, that being said I was just scouting and glassing for Nov. and will get the necessary maps and go forward from there. I think we as respectful hunters get tarnished from the few that abuse and disrespect land. Maybe one day we will be able to hunt on our own public land that is leased put without any hassles. When I was in the States there were some landowners that had a great system. There were certain access points that you signed in then it was foot access only or you could travel the trails/roads with your vehicle. Maybe there should be something implemented here in AB or set up an electronic registration/sign in process for the land you wish to go on through the Wild website.
Old 10-05-2012, 09:44 AM

It's easier to gain forgiveness than it is to
Gain permission , so go ahead and hunt that
Lease land nait, lmao......im only kidding AO
Cheers

If you tell the truth, you don't have to remember anything. (Mark twain)

if you don't have the time to do it right now,
how you gonna find time to do it right later !!!!!
(truck window)
Old 10-05-2012, 10:13 AM

Quote:

Very,very well said. Other replys here were well stated and most agree. It is exactly attitudes like his that have resulted in landowners being po'd and hunters getting a bad reputation. What's lacking today is respect, courtesy, manners, brains, and good old common sense. And, this is not only in regards to hunting. Like one fellow on here said one time and I got a chuckle; he said, and this applies to the person above ( who I don't consider to be a "hunter" - with his attitude) "give your head a shake and if it falls off, kick it". Then when confronted because of his attitude, the guy above laughs and responds with a smart butt comment instead of maybe thinking about it and changing his tune. Is it so difficult to admit that you are wrong and perhaps learn something? With an attitude like that on a subject like this that is so blatantly straight forward and simple, it makes me wonder what other beliefs this person has about the sport. Makes me a little afraid as well.
Old 10-05-2012, 11:04 AM

Default Permission, vs Notification

This topic seems to come up every fall, and I have read the posts of both sides if the debate with great interest. What I have determined is this, always always always ask the landowners, and give all the info (more then they require usually) and lessee's, at the min. notify, and when doing so ask about any restrictions (foot only etc.) To me it's pretty simple, IT'S A SAFETY ISSUE... if you don't do these relatively simple things you run the very possible risk if shooting, or hurting someone. As well if the landowner/lessee is aware that you are on the land they work/own, then they can act accordingly! Noe I understand that there are a few lease holders that can be a bit difficult and have developed a "it's my land even though it is a lease" attitude, but in my experience they are by far the exception, most are pretty open to hunters, and most are hunters themselves so are understanding and in almost all of my experience very grateful when dealt with in this manner. I have been given some excellent guidance by many of the people I have talked to, as well as been informed as to when other hunters are going to be in the area's that I have been planning on hunting.

Bottom line is be respectful, and polite and it only makes us as a group look better, be a dick and you make us all look like that......... which would you prefer..........

My 2 cents
Old 10-05-2012, 11:16 AM

Well said as well
Old 10-05-2012, 06:01 PM

lol
Didnt mean to post on such a hot topic. We all enjoy hunting and fishing and as long as we can all get along than things can only get better. Follow rules(I know some suck) and if everyone helps to make the crummy and dirty hunters straight it wont be as hard to find even private land to hunt on. If you come to me and introduce yourself and are a stand up, respectful person than theres a great chance you can hunt on our 4000 acre ranch. Just enjoy the fact that we all have something so great in common.

Happy Hunting All, Hope this year is the one we all get THE BIG ONE.
Old 10-06-2012, 11:17 AM

When I ask for permission on a farmers land im polite and helpful in any way , I no he has worked hard to gain the property he owns , if he tells me no, im good with that and I move on , if I meet up with him again I am still very polite to him weather its at a gas station or a restaurant if he needed me for something im there . when I see on this form people that obtained leased land and are trying to make there own rules on that land pretending to own it it really makes me mad , if you want the privilege to make up rules go spend a couple hundred thousand and buy a chunk of land , then make rules , I don't like kissing ass to some one who doesn't own something but wants the right to do so ,and its every ones land ,who is going to pick up the garbage sounds like you are trying to find any excuse to be able to make rules so you can have a say ,if more of us were out there you would be put in your place, bottom line it ant your land to say any thing ,follow the rules ,not your rules.as for farmer we all need to respect them if it is there land , they help feed our wild game and own land they live on.I feel are laws should change a bit, we should be able to help farmers in any way we can especially if we want to hunt there land.around me there is leased land one person in particular leases land only to hunt, he has a camper in there for a blind, has one horse on that land and wont allows any one to hunt it but the people he knows , he has live stalk on it ,what a joke!!

This is my two cents , like it or dont