Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-04-2020, 11:56 AM

Default hiding hammer

short video of a hammerhandle that was hanging around one day. at the beginning you can see how they react to a passing predator, and yes I was taking my jig away from this one, not looking for wee pike. They are handy for drawing in more interesting specimens though nothing like watching a 25 pound plus fish eating the one at your hook for a quick adrenalin rush

https://youtu.be/pA3dr1-Acy4

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-04-2020, 12:02 PM

interesting video thank you for sharing. Its nice to see how the fish act sometimes.'

I subscribed to your channel hope to see more.

YouTube:@huyfishin Fishing Videos!

Respect wildlife
Old 01-04-2020, 12:13 PM

hopefully I can get out more this season, if the ice ever gets thick enough to drive on. I have a few goals Id like to accomplish. I dont usually put my camera down to the bait unless the water is deep I prefer watching my bait on the screen so I usually aim it down the hole so my ugly mug doesnt spook the fish Im looking for this was 12 FOW and I was looking for Walter. I have seen a few of my fish get eaten it would be pretty amazing to actually get it on video, fingers crossed

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 01-06-2020, 02:24 AM

I recorded a pike staring at my lure for something like 7 full mins recently. What I try to do when their not that hungry like in your vid is jig till you see them start towards it. Then keep it steady, with maybe just a twitch, but slowly raise it. It will often trigger pike and walleye, and if I had to guess it motivates them by making them think Mr Minnow is about to take off.
A lone minnow on the bottom, jigging up and down mimics an injured minnow. It’s a fishes version of the ‘funky chicken’. Yet a minnow that freezes when it sees a predator, then tries to swim to safety is just another, hard to catch minnow.
A jigged minnow says ‘Free and easy snack’, which doesn’t require a lightning strike attack. It’s kinda like a dog, where if you just put a ball in front of it, they might not even grab it. Yet if you wind up and throw it fast they spring into action.
Non active fish might lazily take a dead or dying minnow. Key word is might. Yet I’ve had success with raising lures when their close but lazy. Maybe it triggers muscle memory of the previous hundreds of eaten minnows?
And yes, I did just psycho analyze a pea brained fish, lol. My mind wanders far while sitting, jigging and staring at a lure on a small screen.
Old 01-06-2020, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by PlayDoh View Post
I recorded a pike staring at my lure for something like 7 full mins recently. What I try to do when their not that hungry like in your vid is jig till you see them start towards it. Then keep it steady, with maybe just a twitch, but slowly raise it. It will often trigger pike and walleye, and if I had to guess it motivates them by making them think Mr Minnow is about to take off.
A lone minnow on the bottom, jigging up and down mimics an injured minnow. It’s a fishes version of the ‘funky chicken’. Yet a minnow that freezes when it sees a predator, then tries to swim to safety is just another, hard to catch minnow.
A jigged minnow says ‘Free and easy snack’, which doesn’t require a lightning strike attack. It’s kinda like a dog, where if you just put a ball in front of it, they might not even grab it. Yet if you wind up and throw it fast they spring into action.
Non active fish might lazily take a dead or dying minnow. Key word is might. Yet I’ve had success with raising lures when their close but lazy. Maybe it triggers muscle memory of the previous hundreds of eaten minnows?
And yes, I did just psycho analyze a pea brained fish, lol. My mind wanders far while sitting, jigging and staring at a lure on a small screen.
these little buggers serve me a purpose, besides relieving boredom taking food from them since its illegal to use them for bait, and big pike do love their smaller relatives for lunch I like to keep them active around my bigger bait, which you can see off to the side in the vid. when the piggies scare them off my bait is the only thing they see laying around so they usually pick it up. caught a good number of big ones this way. plus its a rush when the littles dont escape in time!

Non Compliance!!!!!!
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds