Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-11-2024, 09:05 AM

Default Cut down poplar, killing suckers with Roundup

I took out a row of poplars now that my Colorado spruce are established. I was told to drill holes near the outside of the stump and use roundup to stop suckering. Wondering how strong the roundup should be? Full strength? Mixed?
Old 05-11-2024, 12:58 PM

I would drill holes in the stump and let them fill up with water and rot. I would spray roundup on the leaves of the suckers
Old 05-11-2024, 01:11 PM

run the suckers over with a mower , theyll die off on their own
Old 05-11-2024, 01:37 PM

Thumbs up This worked for me

If you don't have a friend in the agricultural community to sell you some of the good stuff, buy the concentrate from any hardware store. Get the original Non-Selective Herbicide Grass & Weed Control Killer Concentrate, not the new Advanced Grass & Weed Control Killer Concentrate Herbicidal Soap.

Drill 3/8" to 1/2" holes 1" to 2" deep in the stump and any exposed green roots, pour the concentrate directly into the holes. For best results, refill the holes after a few days. This is much easier than continually spraying suckers as they appear.
Only one root required required treatment the following year when it popped a few suckers in the lawn. One more treatment was enough to end it.
Remember to wear proper PPE and follow procedure for handling dangerous chemicals.

“We seem to be getting closer and closer to a situation where nobody is responsible for what they did but we are all responsible for what somebody else did.”- Thomas Sowell
Old 05-11-2024, 02:40 PM

I tried doing the drill into a apple tree trunk and it did nothing to the tree . Had the good stuff from the farm . Next following year i just sprayed the leafs and it killed it .