Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-16-2008, 09:06 PM

Default trolling motor opinion

looking for opinions on which trolling motor is best, overall.looking at honda yamaha, and merc. any advice would be apreciated. thanx 12' boat, mostly fishing small water for trout

Last edited by spurly; 05-16-2008 at 09:45 PM. Reason: more info
Old 05-16-2008, 09:18 PM

Default Trolling motor

How big of boat you have and what type of fishing you do will be the major factor here. If you back troll for walleyes then I suggest the Yamaha T-8 or T-9. If trolling for trout species then go with a Honda. Mecury is also good, but not as quiet or as well built as the other ones in my opion.
Old 05-18-2008, 10:34 PM

Smile

With a little boat like that an electric would probably do fine. I run a very old Eska 12.5 on a 12ft aluminum and a deep cycle lasts almost all day trolling.
Old 05-19-2008, 12:40 PM

Default motor

I have a 12ft boat most of the trout lakes I go to allow electric only So that is something you should consider . Use a 30 thrust motor pushes my boat around easily.
Old 05-19-2008, 05:55 PM

I purchased a 50lb Minn Kota electric for my 16ft flatback canoe. I can motor along great with me and a buddy, for quite a while. I took into account that there is a generally higher upfront, because of the motor and the battery.... and for me a charger and battery case. 339 for the motor, 80 for the charger, 80 for the battery case, and 160 for the battery. Silent operation, no emissions, excellent for trolling. I bomb my lure out back while I am trolling, and place the rod in the holder. When I get a strike I can kill the motor, and back on again when I am ready to fish..... Very convienient.