Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 05-19-2008, 10:20 PM

Default Great Halibut and Rockfish Day!

First day out this year...went really well! Limited out on halibut, caught 2 nice Lings, and a whole bunch of Black Rockfish (mmm tasty!!) Lost 4 Chinook salmon....real finiky biters so it was hard to get a hook into em...but that much action in only a couple of hours at this time of the year is pretty damn good.

Old 05-19-2008, 10:51 PM

the black rock fish in the bottom pic at the lower left is a sea bass their great eating. My family owns a cabin across from cougar creek on vancouver island whenever we catch them we keep'em great BBQed.
Old 05-19-2008, 10:57 PM

I ment lower right lol great lookin catch
Old 05-19-2008, 11:10 PM
Banned

I cant wait to go!!!

I leave in a week and a 1/2.

Great day on the water!!

Jamie
Old 05-19-2008, 11:20 PM

It's not a seabass...it's a black rockfish...look at the regs. The first time I caught one I thought the same thing...then looked into it.

Cheers,
David
Old 05-19-2008, 11:43 PM

Yummy! Nice mixed bag. Too bad about the missed salmon but I can't feel too sorry for you - I'm land-locked here in Alberta.
Old 05-20-2008, 12:54 AM

Hey DSS, nice pics. Where were you fishing? out by Hardy?
Looks like you will be eating well for the next few days.
I was looking through my freezer tonight, I found one small chunk of Hali left. Will probably be a fight between me and the kids as to who gets to eat it!
Going back up to Masset on June 16th for a week. 7 days of Hali, crab & Salmon, MMMMM
Old 05-20-2008, 10:20 PM
Banned

Good job dss,, looks like you got some good fish and chips on the way.. Missed out on the bottom fish when we went out last week,, oh well there is always next spring..

Thx for the pics and sharin the experience..
Old 05-21-2008, 11:23 PM

Mmmmmm had some of the hali last night.... It was awesome! Stoked for heading out again this weekend....this time with clients so I don't get to catch any...but it's just being out there that I had so much fun!

Ohhh totally forgot to say it was the windiest day I've ever seen out of Hardy and we had to come back in 10fters...there was about a 3 mile stretch where every wave was 12ft...it was nuts! My Dad just sat back and relaxed while I brought us home. Mind you we were in our 31ft Pursuit....even so, the 12fters were coming right over the bow...it was nuts! But exhilarating looking back at it. The run back took twice as long!
Old 05-22-2008, 07:09 PM
Banned

Been eyeing up those Pursiuts the last couple years myself,, they look like they could handle some waters !!! Not to second guess your knowledge but you do know what a 10 footer looks like ehh ??? I mean that is some big stuff you are talking about.. If in fact that boat handled those waters that well then they are definitely some fine water craft.. What is the ride like it obviously must be smooth with a good heavy feel in order top handle heavy seas with that much ease..

They are a fine lookin boat thats for sure..
Old 05-22-2008, 08:27 PM

Yup definitely know what 10fters look like...and so does my Dad who's been fishing up there for the past 35years who was beside me as I drove the boat.

I just brought the boat back to 3300RPM on both engines...and was doing about 15knots through it, powering down on the backside obviously. So we were going 1/2 the speed...but it handled em well when I was cutting the waves at about 30 degrees. Water over the bow on the bigger waves...other than that it wasn't too bad at all Mind you it is 31ft and 12,000lbs of boat. I'd strongly suggest getting a Purusit.....such great finish and great hulls too...honestly can't beat em...not even Grady's.