Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 01-11-2016, 03:46 PM

Default Help identifying rifle

Hi All,

New to the group and new to hunting, in the next couple months I should hopefully be all licensed and good to go! Looking forward to learning lots on here.

Anyway, my grandfather passed away a few years ago and had this rifle he used to use on occasion may years ago but I have no idea what it is. I've attached pictures below, there's a .308 stamp on the barrel and serial number on the other side under the scope ring (I couldn't find anything online with the serial number and caliber search). Any help in figuring out what this is would be greatly appreciated.

Gun in question is the scoped rifle not the model 1846
IMG_0400.jpg
IMG_0406.jpg
IMG_0405.jpg
The circle you can see on the butt of the stock opens up on a hinge and is hollow for storing I'm not sure what
IMG_0407.jpg
IMG_0413.jpg
IMG_0416.jpg

Thanks,
Old 01-11-2016, 03:55 PM

Looks like a commercial sporterized Enfield of some type. Probably one of the later years since it is in .308. Not an expert on those, but have you taken the barrel out of the stock? There are probably a few markings there, and maybe a manufacturer name also.

Survivor of the dread covid
Pureblood!
Old 01-11-2016, 03:58 PM

If it's in 398 it is likely a rebarreled or set back and Re- chambered
Model 1917 Enfield that was originally in '06.
Butt trap is for a pull through and oil can
Cat
Old 01-11-2016, 04:23 PM

Thanks for the help guys, it does in fact look very similar to modified versions of that model. I'm assuming the rebarreled would mean stock barrel removed and a gunsmith likely install some other random one? Do you know of anywhere I might be able to look up the serial number from the barrel?

Tactical Lever, I haven't taken it apart at all yet just had a few seconds to take some pictures the other day.
Old 01-11-2016, 05:14 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by captain91 View Post
Thanks for the help guys, it does in fact look very similar to modified versions of that model. I'm assuming the rebarreled would mean stock barrel removed and a gunsmith likely install some other random one? Do you know of anywhere I might be able to look up the serial number from the barrel?

Tactical Lever, I haven't taken it apart at all yet just had a few seconds to take some pictures the other day.
Dos it have a brass medallion in the right side of the butt stock, or does it look like there was one removed?
If there is one, or there s evidence that one was removed, it is a P14, but because it is in 308 I would tend to believe that it started out as a 1917 .
Is there a "flaming bomb" stamp on the metal anywhere?
Cat
Old 01-12-2016, 08:14 AM

No evidence of a medallion removed anywhere. If I was to be looking for a "flaming bomb" it's a little worn but I would say that's what this looks like on the bolt

flaming bomb..jpg
Old 01-12-2016, 10:54 AM

Looks to be sportered P17. Have a couple of them.
Old 01-12-2016, 11:04 AM
Banned

A great rifle the p17 , if not " bubbahed " into scrap iron,
Built near the end of WWI

One of the best and strongest military bolt actions ever produced , sought after by rifle builders, can be re barrelled for anything from 22-250 up to .378 Weatherby Magnum,

Produced by Remington, Winchester and Eddystone armoires
Old 01-13-2016, 07:56 AM

Thanks very much for all the quick help guys. Since it's already here looks like it'll be the weapon of choice come fall.
Old 01-13-2016, 09:21 AM

Quote:
Thanks very much for all the quick help guys. Since it's already here looks like it'll be the weapon of choice come fall.
No medallion?
1917 Enfield
The factory name is likely under the front scope base .
Cat
Old 01-13-2016, 10:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
No medallion?
1917 Enfield
Cat
Appreciate all the help, I'll try and have a look this weekend when I'm out there. Since it looks like I'll be using the rifle this fall and it's already been modified from original, do you know of anywhere that I can replace the old steel buttplate with something a little more forgiving?
Old 04-18-2016, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by catnthehat View Post
No medallion?
1917 Enfield
Cat
I got some free time this weekend and pulled off scope and bases. Below picture is the marking on the barrel under the front scope base - U.S. 382055
front scope ring.jpg

Under the rear scope ring was an oval hollow hole about 1/2" deep.
rear scope ring.jpg

And with the scope off i could see another marking on the barrel over the box magazine. Looks to me like # 56 w/ a symbol over it.
mrk on actn.jpg
Old 04-18-2016, 02:05 PM

I did some research at lunch today. You are all correct on the model, but hoping you might be able to guide me towards figuring out whether it's a Winchester, Remington or Eddystone. I believe, if I'm reading correctly, it should state the model & manufacture above where the model number is.
identifying markers.jpg

Nothing stamped in that location, and doesn't appear worn enough that it would have been 'erased' so to speak. Any other locations you guys know of to check this info?
Old 04-18-2016, 02:25 PM

Quote:
I did some research at lunch today. You are all correct on the model, but hoping you might be able to guide me towards figuring out whether it's a Winchester, Remington or Eddystone. I believe, if I'm reading correctly, it should state the model & manufacture above where the model number is.
Attachment 120683

Nothing stamped in that location, and doesn't appear worn enough that it would have been 'erased' so to speak. Any other locations you guys know of to check this info?

.308 stamp on the barrel

Better check caliber. .308 Norma Mag was a popular rechamber in those days for these guns. Manufacturer ? this might help.

http://m1903.com/m1917markings.htm

Grizz
Old 04-18-2016, 02:38 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grizzly Adams View Post
.308 stamp on the barrel

Better check caliber. .308 Norma Mag was a popular rechamber in those days for these guns. Manufacturer ? this might help.

http://m1903.com/m1917markings.htm

Grizz
Thanks Grizz, that site should definitely give me the answer. And yes, I found on the weekend actually a box of .308 Norma Mag ammunition, 10 left. Is this still an available purchase option (or only option) or is using a more modern .308 cartridge an issue?
Old 04-18-2016, 08:32 PM

308 Norma Magnum?? Cool! I've got one in a Voere rifle, pretty powerful cartridge, very similar to a 300Win Mag. Unfortunately, factory ammo will be very hard to find, not sure if you'll ever find some over the counter, though you may be able to order some Norma brand ammo for it. If you reload, or have a freind who does, i could probably send some brass your way, i've got a decent stockpile of it. And you will not be able to use 308Winchester, or 300 anything else, you're stuck with trying to source 308 Norma Magnum ammo or make it yourself. Your rifle probably started out as a P14 Enfield, it was chambered in 303British, the rim on the british just happens to be the same diameter as the Norma's belted case, the P14s were also built like a tank and could easily handle being rebarreled to much larger cartridges. Very cool rifle, hope you enjoy, oh, it'll kick like a mule!! Dogger
Old 04-18-2016, 09:38 PM

As far as reloading goes for a 308 Norma Magnum goes, you could resize and trim 338WM, 300WM, 7mmRemMag, 264WM., anything in that family of cartridges, or PM me, i'll give you a company's name that custom reloads ammo, he will do 308 Norma.
Old 04-20-2016, 12:08 AM

I have recently seen .308 NM factory ammo on the shelves at ctc McLeod in Calgary and at Cabela's in Calgary as well. Seems someone is always stacking it in with the .308 winchester Sako, HSM and other semi custom loads. If I'm seeing it without looking for it, it's out there.

The Enfields are about the only reason I dislike being a lefty.

Colin
Old 04-20-2016, 08:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rogerdogger View Post
As far as reloading goes for a 308 Norma Magnum goes, you could resize and trim 338WM, 300WM, 7mmRemMag, 264WM., anything in that family of cartridges, or PM me, i'll give you a company's name that custom reloads ammo, he will do 308 Norma.
PM sent dogger.
Old 04-20-2016, 08:27 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by colroggal View Post
I have recently seen .308 NM factory ammo on the shelves at ctc McLeod in Calgary and at Cabela's in Calgary as well. Seems someone is always stacking it in with the .308 winchester Sako, HSM and other semi custom loads. If I'm seeing it without looking for it, it's out there.

The Enfields are about the only reason I dislike being a lefty.

Colin
I guess I better hurry up and wait for the PAL to show up in the mail and then get out there looking. Thanks for the info, definitely wouldn't have gone to check out CT for that stuff.
Old 05-06-2016, 11:25 AM

Well it would seem I'm well on the way to being ready for this thing, brass coming soon hopefully and dies soon to be en'route.

For those interested, I did get some cool information on the gun a few nights ago and how it was acquired. My grandma put me in touch with my grandpas cousin, as I found out he's the one he went hunting with the couple of times he went.

His first time out with his two cousins he took his trusty Win 1984 30-30 that he'd been using for years. His cousin landed a 6 point elk from roughly 350yds with his Norma mag and my grandfather was astonished and HAD to have one like it.

Lucky enough, his cousins knew a very good gunsmith, he was a retired CP cop and had just finished re-chambering a 30-06 to a .308 Norma (he didn't know however what rifle the 30-06 originated as). If my grandfather wanted it was his he said. All said and done he figures he paid around $200 if he could remember right.

Having never fired the Norma mag before, I think the punch it packed was more than he expected and therefore didn't really shoot it very much if at all. It sounds safe to me to assume it was shot enough times to get it sighted in well and then it pretty well sat in the safe until now as far as anyone knows.

Thanks for all your help guys, really appreciate it.
Dustin
Old 04-07-2017, 01:03 PM
Banned

Posted this in the wrong thread.

Meant to post it in your other, more recent, thread...

Last edited by J0HN_R1; 04-07-2017 at 01:26 PM.