Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-24-2017, 09:03 AM

Default Electronic predator call

I haven't had much luck with mouth calls, and have been looking more and more at an electronic caller. I would like one with a remote, and possibly a decoy on it. I would like one i can add sounds to later on also. I would like to keep the budget reasonable since i will only get to use it a couple times per month in predator season.

Any suggestions?
Old 12-24-2017, 11:40 AM

Foxpro is the only one worth having. Does everything you want with great sound quality
Old 12-24-2017, 12:07 PM

What about the Lucky Duck Rebel E-Caller Predator Call? I am not really a dog hunter and don't go out often enough to justify the money they are asking for a Foxpro. Anyone has any experience with those? The few reviews at Cabela's sound pretty good.
Old 12-24-2017, 01:27 PM

quite honestly any distress call will work just fine. if you can not get them in with a screaming rabbit hand call you may be doing something wrong with how you setup.
if you are set on getting an e call anything primos or foxpro will work great.

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-24-2017, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tikka250 View Post
quite honestly any distress call will work just fine. if you can not get them in with a screaming rabbit hand call you may be doing something wrong with how you setup.
if you are set on getting an e call anything primos or foxpro will work great.
This is the truth.
You will not call in more coyotes with an e-call.
They are great for playing the wind and having the yote approach downwind of the call rather than spooking them downwind of you.
I use both and each have there place.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:42 PM

Default lots of variables

had one for years and it wasnt expensive about $80 at WSS.

Carried it out to shelter belt 1/2 mile from house several times and hid in the tree row watching a fence line 100-200
yards away and never had anything come in to it (tried 3-4 of the jack rabbit and cottontail sounds).
My son took it to the cattle chute 200 yards from the house one day and hung it on the fence wire near a cat tail slough south of the house.
coyote came charging out of cat tails within 5 minutes of turning the rabbit call on with the remote.
I think a lot of coyotes are educated and suspicious to the sounds of an electronic call early in life with the hordes of people using them.
My most productive call is a latex rubber (doesnt harden in cold weather) dollar store squeeky toy that sounds like a mouse. have seen them traveling or mousing in middle of a quarter and called them to within 100 yards to shoot.
Their hearing is excellent if the wind is right which might also be a reason that the approach to a calling area is so important.
Old 12-24-2017, 03:53 PM
Banned

When hunting with a partner, I prefer to use mouth calls. One guy calls (usually me) and the other guy shoots. When I hunt alone, I use my Foxpro Wildfire because it can switch automatically upon the gun report to a pup distress call. When I see magpies coming in to investigate, I know that I'm doing something right.
Old 12-24-2017, 09:51 PM

Hunting alone is exactly why I want to try one of these things, but I can't justify spending that much on a Foxpro. So was looking into that Lucky Duck and was wondering if anyone had any firsthand experience with one of those.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
Hunting alone is exactly why I want to try one of these things, but I can't justify spending that much on a Foxpro. So was looking into that Lucky Duck and was wondering if anyone had any firsthand experience with one of those.
it should work. this would work as well. https://www.cabelas.ca/product/82228...redator-caller
but my recommendation for a cost effective coyote killing combo http://www.basspro.com/shop/en/primo...-predator-pack

For my coyote pics @trophy_country_coyotes on instagram

life's too short to fish nymphs
Old 12-25-2017, 12:14 AM

Thanks. I swear I have looked through all the e-calls Cabela's has to offer at least twice and I have never noticed that one.

I have a couple of mouth calls and had some success with them. I want to try one of these e-calls, still not quite sure about it though. The main reason I want to get one is to be able to place it at a certain spot and wait from a distance. Also, I am not going to lie, I suck at howling. I can handle pretty much any mouth call for any animal and do just fine, but howling is just not working out for me. Go figure.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:13 AM
Banned

A combination of both is my end-goal... A premium E-caller and a diapram/mouth call.

FoxPro, and a newer one with the TX-1000 remote... No substitutions.

Old 12-25-2017, 09:27 AM

I have a foxpro works just fine. Dependable

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-25-2017, 09:53 AM

I built my own when foxpro was just starting to get popular. It works fine, but doesn't have a remote. At the time it cost me roughly $80 to build 2 of them.

However, if foxpro had offered that $150 model back then I wouldn't have built. That seems like a no brainer.
Old 12-25-2017, 09:57 AM
Banned

I have used a Primos Turbo Dogg for a few years now, works great. I also use it in the spring snow goose season. I have not really crow hunted with it, but have tried it when I see the crows gathering in the fall, it really brings the crows in.
Old 12-25-2017, 10:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
I have used a Primos Turbo Dogg for a few years now, works great. I also use it in the spring snow goose season. I have not really crow hunted with it, but have tried it when I see the crows gathering in the fall, it really brings the crows in.
My first fox pro was the FX3, really liked it. now have the shock wave and its night and day for clarity and easy use.

https://www.youtube.com/watch?v=-q0e5K9kFrU

LIFE IS TO SHORT TO HAVE AN UGLY LOOKIN DOG .....GET A LAB
Old 12-25-2017, 01:26 PM

Icotec makes the gc500 with a decoy that clips onto the call. I've killed a lot of coyotes over this call and they sell for 229 bucks at cabelas. 200 pre loaded Audio files on it but you can add your own as well. It also come with some of the new MFK sounds on it and you can download all of MFK sound library to it.

Hartsky
Old 12-25-2017, 01:42 PM

Bought a Patriot? FoxPro from Cabelas on sale a few years back. Wolves will come in using the distress.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG_1435.jpg (75.3 KB, 73 views)
Old 12-26-2017, 10:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Bought a Patriot? FoxPro from Cabelas on sale a few years back. Wolves will come in using the distress.

Which distress call did you use for the wolf? I'm going to try my luck at wolves this winter.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 12-26-2017, 07:59 PM

I just ordered the Foxpro patriot. I looked at the deadbone, but it did not have the ability to expand from the 24 stored sounds. I figured I would spend the extra $70 and have the ability to expand.

Hopefully i will get it within the next week and be able to give it a workout.
Old 12-28-2017, 10:54 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hartsky View Post
Icotec makes the gc500 with a decoy that clips onto the call. I've killed a lot of coyotes over this call and they sell for 229 bucks at cabelas. 200 pre loaded Audio files on it but you can add your own as well. It also come with some of the new MFK sounds on it and you can download all of MFK sound library to it.

Hartsky
Wondering how the volume is on this call? Is it pretty loud when turned up? I'm looking at getting the gc320.
Old 12-28-2017, 12:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
When hunting with a partner, I prefer to use mouth calls. One guy calls (usually me) and the other guy shoots. When I hunt alone, I use my Foxpro Wildfire because it can switch automatically upon the gun report to a pup distress call. When I see magpies coming in to investigate, I know that I'm doing something right.
2x This.
Old 12-28-2017, 01:42 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
Wondering how the volume is on this call? Is it pretty loud when turned up? I'm looking at getting the gc320.
My experience with both a previous Primo's Big Dawg and my current Foxpro is that they are not loud enough to initiate the LOCATOR call. In some instances, when in very open and flat terrain (so that I know they're not hiding out) I'll let out a very loud locator call so that it can reach even a mile away and draw their attention. Then I hunker down, stay quiet and after about 10 minutes, I'll let the Foxpro loose with some rabbit distress calls. And contrary to popular belief, you don't have to crank it full blast. Don't over do the calling either. If I am hunting from a stand which is surrounded by bush, hills and cover, I don't send out a locator call. I start with distress call right from the start. I won't be so bold as to guarantee 100% success, but this strategy has worked somewhat well for me.
Old 12-28-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DJS View Post
i find the volume to be loud enough, i was out today and shot one. started my stand off with an invitation howl and had two answer back right away,not even 5 minutes later they came out.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:01 PM

Wildlife Technologies have the best sound and volume technology in the industry. There is nothing wrong with FoxPro or most of the others but if it's the best you are wanting, WT is the way to go.
Old 12-28-2017, 08:07 PM

Be careful with the electronic calls, some of the preloaded sounds are actually not legal to use.

LC
Old 02-26-2018, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
I haven't had much luck with mouth calls, and have been looking more and more at an electronic caller. I would like one with a remote, and possibly a decoy on it. I would like one i can add sounds to later on also. I would like to keep the budget reasonable since i will only get to use it a couple times per month in predator season.

Any suggestions?
Check out amazon.. I like the Primos Alpha Dogg its awesome!

http://amzn.to/2BRDlk2

Amazon has a tonne of different ones and you can check out youtube to see a review of the product in action.