Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 04-07-2017, 10:50 PM

Default Ruger M77 Mark I. Firing when closing the bolt.

I have a Ruger m77 Mark I in 25-06. Been shooting it at the range for a few months. Haven't had a problem at all with it. Amazing tack driver. Then... one day down at the range, I'm chambering a cartridge and when I closed the bolt handle down, it fired!! Caught me off guard, so I tried to get it to do it again, and I couldn't until I was down at the range yesterday, it did it again. I brought the rifle home, couldn't figure out what is wrong. I gave it the best cleaning I could give it. Started running the bolt in and out, and now just about every third or fourth cycle, it "fires". You can hear the click of it dry firing. Need serious help! Ruger repair facility wants $70/hr.
Old 04-07-2017, 11:54 PM

Sounds like a trigger issue, either dirty or needs adjustment
IIRC the MK1 trigger is screw adjustable but I have never tried .
Most times if a rifle starts firing on closing the trigger has some foreign material in it or the trigger has been improperly adjusted
Cat

Last edited by catnthehat; 04-08-2017 at 12:01 AM.
Old 04-08-2017, 05:36 AM

You've likely got gunk or debris in the trigger or it's interface with the bolt striker.
Remove the action from the stock and hose down the area discribed with copious amounts of brake cleaner(not by your HWT or furnace BTW) then give it a good brushing with an old toothbrush or a small parts brush.
Add a drop of Ronsonol to the sear and give it a try.

Betchya it works great.....

There are no absolutes
Old 04-08-2017, 07:33 AM

If it went from never doing that to frequently doing it then it sounds as if the sear engagement screw is backing off with use. A dab of nail polish or blue loctite and reset the engagement is the fix.
Google can save you $70/hr if you like to tinker but lots of folks out there are not sure of their abilities and scared to death of liability so maybe a gunsmith is the answer.
Old 04-08-2017, 07:41 AM

If no one has played with the trigger it is probably an accumulation of oil/ sollvent/ dirt / debris

One of the main reasons I alway suggest using a bore guide , as well as for rod alignment, is to keek oil and solvents out of trigger mechanisms . Oils and solvents have no place in triggers . Certain oils such as wd-40 turn into a sticky gummy consistency that causes problems with triggers. There are only small springs involved in making a trigger work and only a few thousands tolerance between a properly working trigger or not .
Old 04-08-2017, 11:37 AM

Ruger had a recall on M77 rifles problem of overtravel screw. check out link:

http://www.ruger.com/M77Recall/index.html
Old 04-08-2017, 02:39 PM

The problem with the overtravel screw was that it had no lock tite and could work forward causing the firearm NOT to fire . Would have no link to the accidental discharge
Old 04-08-2017, 05:52 PM
Banned

deleted

Last edited by 357Maximum; 04-08-2017 at 05:58 PM.

Tags
25-06, m77, ruger