Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 10-25-2017, 11:23 AM

Default Grohmann knives.

This birthday I was given a Grohmann knife, and was fortunate enough to use it to quarter and skin a moose several days later, which IMO is about the biggest job I ever need a knife to do between touch ups. After I got home a minuet or two on the sharpening steel had it shaving hair again. This is the fourth Grohmann knife I've acquired over the last decade, and the performance of all of them has been pretty much identical. So here are my observations, despite some of the claims I've heard made on here.

The stainless steel is good.

The quality of the steel is not inconsistent.

The new ones are not inferior to the old ones.

So buy Canadian with confidence if you so wish, I have absolutely no idea where these guys with Grohmanns that wont hold an edge are getting them.
Old 10-25-2017, 11:41 AM

been using these for about 40 years and love them.

More people would like them if they cost more.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:04 PM

Default Knife

I got one last Christmas. I'm hoping to put it to good use this fall
Old 10-25-2017, 01:16 PM

Ive got two. Love them.
Used them both on 2 elk and 2 moose this year.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:26 PM

I love the knife, mine keeps an edge fine and I can usually process and debone 2 medium size big game animals between sharpening's.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:29 PM

I'll start off by saying I've never actually used one. I've been intrigued, tempted, but it feels to me like the handle is too thin, particularly right by the blade, and with the oddly shaped blade that isn't centered (a bit reminiscent of a scimitar), I have a hard time imagining it would be as controllable as a standard drop point with a good sized handle. I'm totally open to being wrong.

Also, what type of steel is used?
Old 10-25-2017, 01:32 PM

Awesome skinning knives,I've skinned hundreds of furbearers with them.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:43 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
I'll start off by saying I've never actually used one. I've been intrigued, tempted, but it feels to me like the handle is too thin, particularly right by the blade, and with the oddly shaped blade that isn't centered (a bit reminiscent of a scimitar), I have a hard time imagining it would be as controllable as a standard drop point with a good sized handle. I'm totally open to being wrong.

Also, what type of steel is used?
All I can say is you need to use one to get it, but anytime I've use a knife that is not my #1 I missed it. And I was in the same boat as you before I bought it, not entirely sold on that odd looking steak knife design.

The steel is some sort of European stainless that is supposed to be roughly similar to 440c. I've had some 440c knives and I like the Grohmann steel better.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:49 PM

Got a presentation model that I have never used. Carried the Puma Gamewarden exclusively for nearly 40 years.
Old 10-25-2017, 01:49 PM

I Loved mine... Lost it

They're great knives, I've got really big hands and they fit me great, my 13 year old son could also use it with confidence. Great product, best knife I've ever used on Big Game. I have been dropping hints that I want another one but nobody has picked up on it yet.

I want another Survival model, deciding between the flat grind or the Sabre.. Anybody have any experience with both?

Mine was a stainless with Sabre Grind, little tough to sharpen once it needed it but if you kept on top of it, small touch ups kept it like a razor.

I'm leaning towards Carbon steel for this one with the Stag handle... or Water buffalo horn. depending on availability.

What models do you guys have?
Old 10-25-2017, 01:54 PM

I have had one for many many years now..best knife ever, a few years ago I went to Pictou Nova Scotia with a coupla friends to do some sight seeing and visiting...imagine my surprise to see the building where they are made..we got a tour, I bought a small pearing type knife, the wife loves it...good product made by some of the nicest people...if I ever need another knife, I wouldn't hesitate to buy from them..
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 10-25-2017, 02:27 PM
Banned

Great knives, Love the ones I have.
If anyone is in the Edmonton area and is interested in one, I have a extra brand new never used #4 Grohmann survival knife with rosewood handle for sale.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:36 PM

I think theyre the best skinning knife on the market for the money by a large margin. What makes them the best imo is the handle/blade ergonomics. If you want the same knife with better steel, BarkRiver copied them
Old 10-25-2017, 03:49 PM

Default like

The old carbon steel blades better.
Old 10-25-2017, 03:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bushleague View Post
, I have absolutely no idea where these guys with Grohmanns that wont hold an edge are getting them.

I got one that won't hold an edge and is really hard to get it to take an edge. It is a mini skinner I bought 10 years ago or thereabouts. To chippy and the edge crumbles away. Plain old 420 would have been much much better
Old 10-25-2017, 03:57 PM

Can't speak to the hunting knives as I flyfish and love outdoors but the 3 knives I have for that purpose are awesome and over 10 years old. lost one on the Bow years back and found it a year later!!!

Friends with owners daughter here in Calgary and recently ordered a 8 set of steak knives and a large carving knife with the prong thing (?) for holding meats when cutting.
Very impressed
Old 10-25-2017, 05:47 PM
Banned

I have one as well. My Dad bought it for me a couple of years ago. He had one when I was growing up and always wanted it.

I find it very comfortable to hold but I just don’t like the steel as much as I do on my CRKT Shennanigan. The CRKT holds an edge way better, skinning two deer in a day. My Grohmann, I get about 3/4 of the way through and can tell I need to sharpen it. However, the Grohmann is always in my back.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:23 PM

I have the Bird & Trout in rosewood as well as the Canadian Belt Knife with the stag antler handle. I think they are good knives and I really like the way they fit my hand. Still made in Canada and that is just great!
I also got the Bird & Trout kit for my son and it was fun to put together with him. As Scott said, the edge doesn't hold for a whole deer but a couple of strokes with a sharpener and I am back in business.

Protect the oppressed even if an enemy, never forgive the traitor especially if he is your friend

Last edited by teledogs; 10-25-2017 at 07:46 PM.
Old 10-25-2017, 07:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post
However, the Grohmann is always in my back.
Must be painful....probably infected by now....
Old 10-25-2017, 07:34 PM
Banned

Lol, back pack. In to much of a hurry to get ready for work I guess.
Old 10-26-2017, 09:45 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by petew View Post
been using these for about 40 years and love them.

More people would like them if they cost more.
Grohmans are nice but I'll stick with Dexters.
Old 10-26-2017, 12:25 PM

I picked up my first one last month, a large skinner. I haven't had a chance to use it yet.

SS

YouTube: Harder Outdoors
Instagram: @harderoutdoors
FB: HarderOutdoors
Old 10-26-2017, 03:05 PM

Yup - I got one too. It's my primary hunting & camping knife...got lots of compliments on it.
Old 10-27-2017, 05:23 PM

Default Mini skinner

Bought a grohman knife a couple years ago just before I started hunting. First season first buck down. Get back to the garage with my buck and realise I left my knife out in the field. Drive back look for an hour in the dark nothing. Wake up next morning go and look in the daylight. Right there in stubble next to where the deer had dropped.

I'm a lot more conscious of putting my knife away now.

Homes Outside
Old 10-27-2017, 05:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Etownguy View Post
Yup - I got one too. It's my primary hunting & camping knife...got lots of compliments on it.
Beautifully well crafted Canadian knives, have two myself. I picked up my second one at Wholesales sports 20% off.
Old 10-28-2017, 05:45 AM

Default Grohman

I have bought close to a dozen of their knives over the years and prefer the old carbon steel blade to the new stainless.I called to inquire about a replacement sheath for a #4 ,the open top model with the steel pocket.The pic doesn't show the belt loop from the back just the front so I asked her to flip it over and send a cell phone pic.No can't do that, no taking pictures in the building.I said are you afraid of the North Koreans getting them? Not the least bit helpful caustic bag.Harold
Old 12-25-2017, 02:49 PM
Banned

My parents are on a year long retirement trip. A few months ago when they were in Nova Scotia they stopped in at the Grohmann facility. While there they picked up some Christmas gifts for my family.

The two blade is for my son, the Zulu is for my wife, although I’m sure I’ll use it more than her. Then the folding skinner is mine. Just a bigger and folding version of my other one.

My parents did tell me they enjoyed the tour, even my mom. They would recommend it to anyone.
Old 12-25-2017, 06:01 PM

Old 12-26-2017, 09:27 AM

If anyone needs a post-Christmas present, Grohmann is offering 20% off. http://www.gknives.com
Old 12-26-2017, 10:12 AM

I like Grohmanns, used lots of them over the years, gave some as gifts , etc.
Like the older high carbon blades in the older Russel belt knives the best.
Cat