Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-26-2017, 10:27 AM

That's a nice folding skinner pictured above, I may have to get one.
I bought two chef knives last year and I they work well for me, Haven't tried their hunting knife
Old 12-26-2017, 02:17 PM
Banned

I just got mine back from my mother after not seeing it for ~20 yrs...

The date I got it (Army Cadets) is engraved on the blade. 1991

Old 12-26-2017, 02:27 PM

My bird and trout was stolen out of my truck last spring bear hunting. As well as about $4k of other hunting gear.

PCFGA on Facebook
Old 12-26-2017, 05:47 PM
Banned

John, that’s the one my Dad had that I always wanted. His would probably be around the same era, mine is a 2014. These new ones should be 2017’s. This folder that they gave me is slightly bigger but the very tip of the blade has a slightly diffent sweep to it.
Old 12-26-2017, 10:00 PM

I have one,countless animals done with this knife,i still have it in my bag after decades,but I have the KATZ LION KING and I fine it to be a very good knife,not them tiny razor blades in package.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:15 PM

I've had one of their little skinner knives forever, and just received one of their big D.H. Lawrence lock blades ( #300 folder) for Christmas. The lock-blade fits my big hands very well and I'm looking forward to getting it very dirty next fall!

As others have said, I've found that if you touch them up before/after every use, you can keep an excellent edge on them, but if you let them get dull - it takes some work to get that razor edge back again.
Old 12-26-2017, 11:34 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Scottmisfits View Post

John, that’s the one my Dad had that I always wanted. His would probably be around the same era, mine is a 2014. These new ones should be 2017’s.

This folder that they gave me is slightly bigger but the very tip of the blade has a slightly different sweep to it.
I got that knife as a replacement for the first one I was presented, but lost (a No. 1 Original design).

That's a dandy lock-blade you have ! And the Ulu is pretty sweet also !

Old 12-26-2017, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by J0HN_R1 View Post
I just got mine back from my mother after not seeing it for ~20 yrs...

The date I got it (Army Cadets) is engraved on the blade. 1991

I have this exact shaped knife with sheath as well, I have skinned out and field dressed caribou, moose, deer, rabbits...and it's the first knife to go on my hunting belt everytime, this is an awesome knife.. Glad you got it back, looks brand new still!
Zip

"Good judgement comes from experience, and experience...well,That comes from poor Judgement"
"KEEP SMILING"
Zip
Old 12-27-2017, 09:05 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by thumper View Post
I've had one of their little skinner knives forever, and just received one of their big D.H. Lawrence lock blades ( #300 folder) for Christmas. The lock-blade fits my big hands very well and I'm looking forward to getting it very dirty next fall!

As others have said, I've found that if you touch them up before/after every use, you can keep an excellent edge on them, but if you let them get dull - it takes some work to get that razor edge back again.
IMO this is a pretty good practice for just about any knife, 20 or so swipes on a steel takes just under a minuet to perform. Doing this every deer or two requires very little work and will keep a good blade shaving hair. Bringing any knife back from truly dull is far more work.

If you don't mind a very small amount of regular maintenance Grohmann's leave little to be desired IMO.
Old 12-27-2017, 02:30 PM

http://www.chuckhawks.com/grohmann_1_knife.htm

Interesting write up.
Old 12-27-2017, 03:21 PM

I got my first Grohmann (Russell knife) back in 1994 while on a Pioneer course being taught by 3VP (PPCLI) but had to turn in after the course.
I was issued one again when I joined CF Field Engineers (Combat Engineers) in ‘95. That knife was put thru it’s course of use from cutting Det cord and time fuse to cutting rope and lashings. I sadly had to turn in it when I did an Occupational transfer to tr RCEME world. 2009 I had the chance to buy a tour knife, Grohmann, with the roto laser engraved on the blade and sheath with a stamp.
My most recent tour to Ukraine gave me the idea to contact Grohmann and have tour knives done up. So this is my most recent Grohmann knife.
http://i.imgur.com/WpQToxy.jpg
These made nice Christmas presents for my dad and bro.

Last edited by Huntsman; 12-27-2017 at 03:28 PM.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:49 PM
Banned

I made a chef salad for myself and my son today for lunch. I used the Zulu to cut the chicken and the cucumber. It was way easier to use than I thought. I quite enjoyed using it. It’s a. I’ve addition to my #2 and 300 folder. To bad it’s the wife’s. Lol
Old 12-27-2017, 05:10 PM

I own a #3 and a #4 survival. I wouldn't step outside for any outdoor activity without one on my belt! Treat these knives properly they will never let you down!
Old 12-27-2017, 09:40 PM

Default Grohmann

I have a #R3SA Number 3 Army Overlap sheath w/Rosewood handle. High carbon stainless steel. I picked it up for 65 bucks on sale at Wholesale Sports some 10 years ago. Salesman told me it was the same one the Cdn Forces issued. Called a "jump knife"

I had an older one that I couldn't keep sharp, I took it in to a professional sharpening place and they said it wasn't ground true from the factory , they re-ground it, was not pretty but it kept an edge afterwards. Lost it one year, and found it the next ! Still have it, but the sheath is buggered from the elements outside while lost.

Never used the new Grohmann yet, I figured I would try it when my 60's vintage PUMA white hunter wears out.
Old 12-27-2017, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Puma View Post
Never used the new Grohmann yet, I figured I would try it when my 60's vintage PUMA white hunter wears out.
Going to be a long wait

Grohmanns are great. I will take Puma over any day though.