Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-19-2017, 07:35 PM

And I went yesterday and dropped of the Christmas cards and some chocolate to a couple of guys who granted me permission this season. Chatted with one of them for about 30 minutes. The other one was not in, he never is, so I left it with his employee; chatted with employee for about 15-20 minutes. Still have some visits to make before the holidays.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by CMichaud View Post

Our forefathers left the old countries to get away from only the rich having access to the land and vast private hunting estates.
I have heard of many reasons why our forefathers left the old countries, and never ever heard the reason being hunting rights.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bub View Post
And I went yesterday and dropped of the Christmas cards and some chocolate to a couple of guys who granted me permission this season. Chatted with one of them for about 30 minutes. The other one was not in, he never is, so I left it with his employee; chatted with employee for about 15-20 minutes. Still have some visits to make before the holidays.
This is probably the best way to secure hunting permission in future years imo.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I have heard of many reasons why our forefathers left the old countries, and never ever heard the reason being hunting rights.
I know for my grandfather it was one of the things he cherished the most after getting here.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:45 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by hal53 View Post
Read the previous posts Chuck........
I’ve read the chest pounding, I’m better than the rest, posts if that is what you are referring to?

-Billy Molls
Old 12-19-2017, 07:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bobalong View Post
What about outfitters? There are allowed to make thousands off public animals.
That just does not sound right.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:47 PM

As I stated in another post. There are great landowners out there and they deserve to be thanked sincerely and treated with respect for the privelage they give some of us. The motives of those that feel there needs to be a business transaction involved to provide that priveledge, well, as they say, whatever blows your hair back. Each to their own.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:47 PM

Quote:
You are hearing it. Pay attention.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-19-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Farmers and ranchers get enough tax breaks already.

Another negative comment towards land owners.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
As I stated in another post. There are great landowners out there and they deserve to be thanked sincerely and treated with respect for the privelage they give some of us. The motives of those that feel there needs to be a business transaction involved to provide that priveledge, well, as they say, whatever blows your hair back. Each to their own.
There are some very generous people that is certain.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-19-2017, 07:49 PM
Gone Hunting

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I’ve read the chest pounding, I’m better than the rest, posts if that is what you are referring to?
sigh...read posts #223, 225 and 227
Old 12-19-2017, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Norwest Alta View Post
I wouldn’t. I hunt myself and much prefer to let friends family and neighbors to access my land exclusively. There is a few on the forum here that I’ve conversed with that I’ve never met but I’m sure I could include them in the friend category.
You may loose all that good will towards friends, family and neighbors if you start selling access.
Old 12-19-2017, 07:59 PM

Quote:

Also, most landowners are farmers (crop or livestock), who already get (or may get if they choose) the landowner tags to open up access and
Landowners do not get tags on the condition of opening up access.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
We have a common ground there for sure. I think it's really important to say thank you with a nice gift to unselfish landowners. I think everyone should do the same. It goes the distance.
I have seen more than one thread where it was suggested that a simple gift of appreciation was the same as paid hunting and illegal.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:06 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by RZR View Post
Mean while they are driving new pickup trucks and going away on trips in the winter.
You begrudge them for owning a new truck and taking a winter vacation. Winter is about the only time a busy farmer can get away.

Your attitude does not help.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwoods View Post
You've hit the nail on the head. Basically it's not economical and that's why there's disinterest from son and daughter to take over the family farm. It's cash flow binding and incredibly difficult to turn a dollar. There are much less risky ways to make a good living. And that's why I think another tax break couldn't hurt. Just in response to the fellow who said farmers get enough tax breaks…. Boys if we lose the family farms there ain't going to be much permission on any private land. Mark my words
^^^^^^^this
Old 12-19-2017, 08:10 PM

Quote:
Landowners do not get tags on the condition of opening up access.
Post #107, I believe:
Quote:
No they do not. Quite the opposite actually, in my opinion. However, that is one of the three reasons they were created for as was sighted in one of the threads not long ago.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tfng View Post
I know for my grandfather it was one of the things he cherished the most after getting here.
It may be one of the things he cherished most after he got here but it probably was not the reason he left the old country.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:17 PM

From a MeatEater podcast and the web, apparently 77% of the USA is private land vs. Alberta being just under 29% private land.
I found more state specific data but you get the point.

Personally I think that tension regarding access here in Alberta has less to do with not enough land but more to do with many hunters wanting to hunt the easiest land to get to.
Old 12-19-2017, 08:18 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
You are hearing it. Pay attention.

I don't believe it
Old 12-19-2017, 08:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by gitrdun View Post
Oh! say it ain't so. Pathetic, absolutely a pathetic discussion. Embarrassing in fact.
Nailed it. So many stereotypes tearing hunters apart. Again.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:05 PM
Banned

To set the record straight about myself. I don't plan on charging for access if it were legal nor do I give out a lot of permission to strangers particularly when it will interfere with my family's and friends hunting plans. The strangers that have permission do not owe me anything but are required to respect my land and my neighbors land. I do not want a share of what you shoot because I can provide for myself nor do I want your help to farm my land. I would like to consider myself independent. I do believe that it should be well within a landowners prerogative to charge or receive what they see fit for someone to access their property.

I am pleasantly surprised that many people are thinking of the poverty people and those with little financial means and protecting their opportunities to hunt. This is very admirable in my opinion.

I am unsure exactly how many that posted here are landowners. I can only guess that there might be 6 the rest are probable urbanites ( nothing wrong with that so hopefully no offense is taken). In all truthfulness I respect the opinions of the landowner/hunter the most because I feel they've got a pretty good grasp on things with regards to being on both sides of the fence. Personally I would of liked to see more landowner/hunter input on this.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:11 PM

Quote:
To set the record straight about myself. I don't plan on charging for access if it were legal nor do I give out a lot of permission to strangers particularly when it will interfere with my family's and friends hunting plans. The strangers that have permission do not owe me anything but are required to respect my land and my neighbors land. I do not want a share of what you shoot because I can provide for myself nor do I want your help to farm my land. I would like to consider myself independent. I do believe that it should be well within a landowners prerogative to charge or receive what they see fit for someone to access their property.

I am pleasantly surprised that many people are thinking of the poverty people and those with little financial means and protecting their opportunities to hunt. This is very admirable in my opinion.

I am unsure exactly how many that posted here are landowners. I can only guess that there might be 6 the rest are probable urbanites ( nothing wrong with that so hopefully no offense is taken). In all truthfulness I respect the opinions of the landowner/hunter the most because I feel they've got a pretty good grasp on things with regards to being on both sides of the fence. Personally I would of liked to see more landowner/hunter input on this.

Name whom you think is in which category.

-Billy Molls
Old 12-19-2017, 09:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
This is probably the best way to secure hunting permission in future years imo.
Funny how paid access is taboo, but giving gifts, doing free labor, and maintaining a slew of "friends" with land benefits is fine.

Paid access is already here. You just aren't paying with money.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:23 PM

Quote:

Urbanite landowner here
Rolex and cowboy boots

How may I assist........y’all.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:28 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Urbanite landowner here
Rolex and cowboy boots

How may I assist........y’all.
You already did
Old 12-19-2017, 09:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tech View Post
Funny how paid access is taboo, but giving gifts, doing free labor, and maintaining a slew of "friends" with land benefits is fine.

Paid access is already here. You just aren't paying with money.
One is voluntary, the other compulsory. I believe there is a difference.
Old 12-19-2017, 09:35 PM

Quote:
You already did
Lol
Perfect!
Old 12-19-2017, 09:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Joe Black View Post
One is voluntary, the other compulsory. I believe there is a difference.
Both are compulsory if you want access, or voluntary if you don't.

Landowners must be compensated for access. The old system used to work when people traded access and knew each other, but it simply does not work when land is owned by very few and there are many without who want to access it. Today you have landowners dealing with phone calls from across the province every year from people looking for access, and simply too many to say yes to everyone. The usual story here is one or two bad experiences, no incentive to allow access, and it's friends and family only from then on.
Old 12-19-2017, 10:01 PM

So money Would help them deal with the frustration they currentley face. I know quite a few landowners that would disagree.