Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-18-2017, 11:48 AM

Default Hunting Wolves with Foxpro E-Caller

HI All
Looking to hunt wolves this year and have a FoxPro E-Caller. Has anyone had success doing this and what is your recommended tactic and calls to use? The shockwave has many preloaded calls to choose from so curious on peoples feedback that have actually done this successfully with their callers.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:43 PM

I have only called in a few wolves so far with my e caller. We find the freshest sign we can and then setup in a area with good visibility. We use rabbit and fawn in distress mostly. I have had luck setting up on the edge of large frozen ponds. You have to be very patient and LUCKY.
Old 12-18-2017, 01:54 PM
Banned

Wolves are easy shoot one go into another area covered in the wolfs scent and howl but be ready lol!
Old 12-18-2017, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
Wolves are easy shoot one go into another area covered in the wolfs scent and howl but be ready lol!
Lol ya giver a try let me know how you make out.
Old 12-18-2017, 02:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Slicktricker View Post
What lol?
Old 12-18-2017, 04:32 PM

You know I bet that works very well as they are so territorial. An older guy I hunted with for years also told me you could disperse some of your dog's crap in the area around there marking scrapes and drive them nuts as well. They can't help themselves but hunt down the outsider and secure their range. Never did try that trick but makes sense.
Old 12-18-2017, 04:38 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by MooseRiverTrapper View Post
What lol?
What we did was shot one in the area I did before season ended and we were covered in his scent, then went into another area after we skinned that wolf and used the scraps and we howled and that area came alive able to get 2, there territorial animals. Worked like a charm we are at 3 wolves so far
Old 12-18-2017, 04:44 PM

Totally makes sense, you need that first one though to get the ball rolling. Had a few opportunities over the years out hunting deer but was never fortunate enough to connect. Want to spend some time trying this year and who knows may get lucky. No doubt probably the most cunning animal in the woods, just need to use their instincts against them
Old 12-18-2017, 04:46 PM
Banned

I'm in 338 there's plenty moving
Old 12-18-2017, 04:48 PM

I'm looking at 348 myself
Old 12-18-2017, 04:50 PM
Banned

We never seen much tracks up there, some up in swamp but not a lot,
Old 12-20-2017, 10:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Badone20 View Post
HI All
Looking to hunt wolves this year and have a FoxPro E-Caller. Has anyone had success doing this and what is your recommended tactic and calls to use? The shockwave has many preloaded calls to choose from so curious on peoples feedback that have actually done this successfully with their callers.
They will travel a long ways, on the run, to the wolf howl or pack howl on the FoxPro. I prefer using my voice. It would be best to have an idea where they are because if they come in and cross your tracks or smell you, they will vanish. They may not respond more than once either, if they have pinpointed the location of the call. Delete most of the calls preloaded on the caller as wolves don't eat woodpecker etc. If you use the rabbit in distress type calls you may get other predators sneaking in on your six.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Yaha Tinda View Post
They will travel a long ways, on the run, to the wolf howl or pack howl on the FoxPro. I prefer using my voice. It would be best to have an idea where they are because if they come in and cross your tracks or smell you, they will vanish. They may not respond more than once either, if they have pinpointed the location of the call. Delete most of the calls preloaded on the caller as wolves don't eat woodpecker etc. If you use the rabbit in distress type calls you may get other predators sneaking in on your six.
Thanks Yaha
I have also read that Coyote challenge or locate calls should work as well as elk in distress. Curious what your thoughts on those are. Have you used the FoxPro much? I just picked mine up last year and used it a couple times with no success. Also wonder about what volume to put out there, I'm a total newbie when it comes to using this caller.
Old 12-21-2017, 02:39 PM

Quote:
Thanks Yaha
I have also read that Coyote challenge or locate calls should work as well as elk in distress. Curious what your thoughts on those are. Have you used the FoxPro much? I just picked mine up last year and used it a couple times with no success. Also wonder about what volume to put out there, I'm a total newbie when it comes to using this caller.

Anything that represents a food source could produce results if the wolves are within hearing distance. I have called them in with elk and moose calls while calling elk and moose, not knowing they were in the area. There's no elk, little coyote and few moose in most areas where I call wolf and have had better results with the wolf howl.
Old 12-21-2017, 03:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bearbreath View Post
I have only called in a few wolves so far with my e caller. We find the freshest sign we can and then setup in a area with good visibility. We use rabbit and fawn in distress mostly. I have had luck setting up on the edge of large frozen ponds. You have to be very patient and LUCKY.
May want to edit your post....

"It is unlawful to set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting any wildlife:
5. recorded wildlife calls or sounds, or an electronically operated calling device except; 1) when hunting migratory game birds with the use of calls or sounds that mimic snow geese, or 2) using electronic calls to hunt crows, magpies, coyote, red fox and wolf (using sounds that mimic these animals, rabbits, hares, or rodents)."
Old 12-21-2017, 03:07 PM

Quote:
Thanks Yaha
Unless something changed recently, I don't think it's legal to use your foxpro elk distress in Alberta.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:19 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
Unless something changed recently, I don't think it's legal to use your foxpro elk distress in Alberta.
Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't consider that call would be illegal to use in Alberta. I definitely want to use this device only as permitted to do so. It certainly pays to ask questions on the forum as that one just saved me from possibly trying something I shouldn't. Thanks again!!!
Old 12-21-2017, 06:59 PM

Used the fox pro #324 and the #328 pack howl and they heard it at quite a distance, now as they return to that area they **** and scrape all over the place, they are smart and remember, just like a well trained border collie.
Old 12-22-2017, 05:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by double gun View Post
May want to edit your post....

"It is unlawful to set out, use or employ any of the following items for the purpose of hunting any wildlife:
5. recorded wildlife calls or sounds, or an electronically operated calling device except; 1) when hunting migratory game birds with the use of calls or sounds that mimic snow geese, or 2) using electronic calls to hunt crows, magpies, coyote, red fox and wolf (using sounds that mimic these animals, rabbits, hares, or rodents)."

Where's the problem here?
Old 12-22-2017, 06:08 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Quote:
Thanks for pointing that out, I didn't consider that call would be illegal to use in Alberta. I definitely want to use this device only as permitted to do so. It certainly pays to ask questions on the forum as that one just saved me from possibly trying something I shouldn't. Thanks again!!!
Asking questions or adding to a post is a good thing but I would always read the regs prior to going out and about, it's black and white there...here it can get a little screwwwwwy.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-22-2017, 07:05 AM

Could have used a caller yesterday when I pulled up to my bait and had 3 standing on the lease road and couldn't get a shot off before they walked off. Might have had a chance if I had a caller with me. Would have been interesting to see. Hopefully I have them all hung up with a necklace around their necks by the time I get back!
Old 12-22-2017, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Where's the problem here?
You can't legally use electric callers to make fawn/calf distress calls in Alberta.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:14 PM

The regs says it's unlawful EXCEPT using electronic calls to hunt crows, magpies, coyote, red fox and wolf (using sounds that mimic these animals, rabbits, hares, or rodents)." I've spoke with fish and wildlife about this. No issue.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:25 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ranch11 View Post
The regs says it's unlawful EXCEPT using electronic calls to hunt crows, magpies, coyote, red fox and wolf (using sounds that mimic these animals, rabbits, hares, or rodents)." I've spoke with fish and wildlife about this. No issue.
The issue they were pointing out is it's LEGAL to use e-callers using sounds that mimic crows, magpies, coyotes, red foxes, wolves, rabbits, hares, and rodents. However it's ILLEGAL to use e-callers mimicking other sounds such as deer or elk.
Old 12-22-2017, 06:57 PM

I hear what you're saying. You can use the e-caller to mimic the sounds of crows, magpies etc..
Now when I spoke to to FW officer, I specifically asked him about using bleats and cries of prey animals, big game animals. The answer I got was that this was ok. So, I'm not sure what to think here. Another gray area I asked about was using an e-caller for calling for bears. Are bears big game or a predator? He couldn't give me an answer. I assume, you can't use one to call bears.

I wish the regs just plainly said that you can't use an e-caller replicating sounds of prey animals or big game animals to hunt predators. It is confusing.
Back on topic, I have had some success calling wolves with an e-caller. I have a wildlife tech MA-21 northern call package that has erie wolf sounds on it. Stick to the howls and you'll be fine.
However, we've shot 4 wolves just using a primos hot-dog call and tally ho distress.
I like fox pro for sure, and am going to purchase a fusion in the next few days. But my other fox pro calls are not as clear or as loud as my wildlife tech call. But, the WT is bulky.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:00 PM

Quote:
I hear what you're saying. You can use the e-caller to mimic the sounds of crows, magpies etc..
Now when I spoke to to FW officer, I specifically asked him about using bleats and cries of prey animals, big game animals. The answer I got was that this was ok. So, I'm not sure what to think here. Another gray area I asked about was using an e-caller for calling for bears. Are bears big game or a predator? He couldn't give me an answer. I assume, you can't use one to call bears.

I wish the regs just plainly said that you can't use an e-caller replicating sounds of prey animals or big game animals to hunt predators. It is confusing.
Back on topic, I have had some success calling wolves with an e-caller. I have a wildlife tech MA-21 northern call package that has erie wolf sounds on it. Stick to the howls and you'll be fine.
However, we've shot 4 wolves just using a primos hot-dog call and tally ho distress.
I like fox pro for sure, and am going to purchase a fusion in the next few days. But my other fox pro calls are not as clear or as loud as my wildlife tech call. But, the WT is bulky.
Thanks Ranch

Funny how one question raises many others isn't it. Some reply just read the regs and all will be clear while others don't necessarily see it that way. It all comes down to interpretation, and since we are human interpretation is just that, could mean different things to different people. That statement is within reason of course, interpretation is no excuse to blatantly do something that is obviously incorrect. Where the grey area would come in raises a valid question as to why its not more clear and I guess leads to conversations such as this.

Its funny that your experience with the FW officer tells you one thing where you wouldn't be in violation of the regulations, but meet a different officer and you could be in violation of the regulations. I'm sure that has happened to a few members on this site where one officer says one thing and another says something different.

I would interpret your query on the Black Bear as being big game as you need to purchase a tag, same as a cougar would be. Having said that if someone asked me how I interpret them from a purely wild and not legislative perspective, definitely predator.

Merry Christmas!!
Old 12-24-2017, 06:03 AM

Quote:

You'd best hope that the next warden that questions you about your use of the e-caller is the same one .. It clearly states the rules in the regs .. no gray areas anywhere about this one .How much clearer than " it is unlawful " does a person need ? Bears aren't listed as being a lawful critter to call with the e-caller so fall into that unlawful section . Yes fawn in distress works well but it best be from a hand call to be legal .
Old 12-24-2017, 06:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by H380 View Post
You'd best hope that the next warden that questions you about your use of the e-caller is the same one .. It clearly states the rules in the regs .. no gray areas anywhere about this one .How much clearer than " it is unlawful " does a person need ? Bears aren't listed as being a lawful critter to call with the e-caller so fall into that unlawful section . Yes fawn in distress works well but it best be from a hand call to be legal .
A person definitely needs to go by the regs, not what a CO says. It's a little shocking how many don't know what's in the regulations.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:41 AM

Quote:
Thanks Ranch

Funny how one question raises many others isn't it. Some reply just read the regs and all will be clear while others don't necessarily see it that way. It all comes down to interpretation, and since we are human interpretation is just that, could mean different things to different people. That statement is within reason of course, interpretation is no excuse to blatantly do something that is obviously incorrect. Where the grey area would come in raises a valid question as to why its not more clear and I guess leads to conversations such as this.

Its funny that your experience with the FW officer tells you one thing where you wouldn't be in violation of the regulations, but meet a different officer and you could be in violation of the regulations. I'm sure that has happened to a few members on this site where one officer says one thing and another says something different.

I would interpret your query on the Black Bear as being big game as you need to purchase a tag, same as a cougar would be. Having said that if someone asked me how I interpret them from a purely wild and not legislative perspective, definitely predator.

Merry Christmas!!

You gents are still reading and understanding incorrectly... about the e-caller sounds any way.
You can use the e-sounds of a rabbit, hare or rodent to hunt crows, magpies, coyote, red fox, or wolf.
You CAN NOT use crow, magpie, coyote, red fox or wolf e-sounds to hunt.

The only and all rules and regs regarding the use of e-callers is written into 1 paragraph posted above. Any other question regarding there use in ALberta is ILLEGAL. It is not confusing... Scary that F&W couldn't answer your questions...

Last edited by meandmyboy; 12-24-2017 at 06:47 AM.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:53 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by meandmyboy View Post
You gents are still reading and understanding incorrectly... about the e-caller sounds any way.
You can use the e-sounds of a rabbit, hare or rodent to hunt crows, magpies, coyote, red fox, or wolf.
You CAN NOT use crow, magpie, coyote, red fox or wolf e-sounds to hunt.

The only and all rules and regs regarding the use of e-callers is written into 1 paragraph posted above. Any other question regarding there use in ALberta is ILLEGAL. It is not confusing... Scary that F&W couldn't answer your questions...

That's not true. When the regulations say "these animals" it's referring to the ones listed in the sentence (crows, magpies, coyotes, red foxes, and wolves). Additionally, they add on you can mimic rabbit, hares, and rodents. They aren't saying the only legal calls are rabbits, hares, and rodents.