Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-21-2017, 10:48 AM

I used to think highly of Steven Harper but after I read what he did to chief justice Beverly McLachlin a good southern Alberta person and now this I guess all politicians and there families can not be trusted.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by densa44 View Post
There is nothing wrong with the facts as stated by the members but this is not a topic where we have a lot of public support, that's my opinion anyway.

Personally I'd shoot a cat like that if it was near my house in a heartbeat. The difference is I wouldn't call the CBC.
The main reason to confront CBC on an issue like this is often times management decisions are political rather than based on science. Now that the tree huggers have been successful shutting down the grizzly hunt they will move onto another species my guess would be cougars or wolves.i could see a push for this now in Alberta as they likely know they won't have a government as sympathetic to their cause as they do now for some time.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:01 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Disappointed in Harpers wife's comments....wow I thought she was brighter.

LC
X2
I wonder if she is equally outraged about the fact that Indians in BC will continue to be able to kill grizzly bears for "social and ceremonial" reasons when no one else can. Sounds a lot like trophy hunting to me.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:35 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SamSteele View Post
I follow Steve on FB and watched this debacle unfold. The majority of the outrage was not from Canadian residents. Mostly the UK. I know of at least one objector that changed their tune once they were presented with a clear, logical presentation of facts instead of the emotional response. There were a significant number of "supporters" that did nothing to help the cause through presenting facts or data, but were intentionally inflammatory which made me cringe.

We should not be ashamed of our hunting traditions, activities, and rights, but I believe that we should also be tactful in our response to attacks on the rights and ethics of hunters. To be inflammatory does nothing but polarize the general public, typically against us.

SS
I agree completely. We are the minority living in a democracy, so we need non hunters to view us in a positive or at least neutral way. That's the only way.

Guys like Steven Rinella have done a lot to promote hunting as a relevant "lifestyle" in the modern times. In my opinion anyway. He got his show on Netflix, that says something.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:39 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
The main reason to confront CBC on an issue like this is often times management decisions are political rather than based on science. Now that the tree huggers have been successful shutting down the grizzly hunt they will move onto another species my guess would be cougars or wolves.i could see a push for this now in Alberta as they likely know they won't have a government as sympathetic to their cause as they do now for some time.
I recall reading about the cougar hunt in California being put to the ballot box in their last governor election. Animal rights types know that cougar hunting is low hanging fruit- easier to win the battle instead of the whole war- so to speak.
Old 12-21-2017, 11:42 AM

Quote:

LC
Agreed, she states she comes from hunters and fishers and used all parts of animals. Well the hunter kept the hide and ate the meat, so now what you have to say laureen?
Old 12-21-2017, 12:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER HUNTING View Post
I recall reading about the cougar hunt in California being put to the ballot box in their last governor election. Animal rights types know that cougar hunting is low hanging fruit- easier to win the battle instead of the whole war- so to speak.
Reasons like this and the bc grizz hunt is why we need to confront the media when they conduct smear campaigns against hunters. The media shapes the opinions of people who know virtually nothing about game management then antis lobby and rile up clueless politicians and bang we have what we are dealing with. If they succeed in painting a negative picture we can kiss hunting goodbye.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:03 PM

Quote:

LC
I agree. That to me is the most shocking part of this story. The fact that there are piles of ill informed, out of touch, anti hunting people making a big deal isnt too surprising but seeing her tweets clearly displays a side of her that I never knew existed. Had very high respect for both Mr and Mrs Harper. That's been totally tarnished now.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:01 PM

Default wrote my letter .

thanks guys for posting this we need a lot of feedback on this. please write your own letters.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:07 PM

Here's a link to contact the Canadian Press, who appear to have authored this b.s.

http://www.thecanadianpress.com/contact/
Old 12-21-2017, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Agreed, she states she comes from hunters and fishers and used all parts of animals.
Id love to see the collection of tanned whitetail hides and bone tools her family has acquired over generations of hunting.

Steve likely used more from this cat than she or her family has ever retained from a deer.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:15 PM

Can't imagine why I HATE SOCIAL MEDIA so much....

Don't you people worry.... all the do goodies are gonna save the world

I wonder why they call Cochrane little London????

Mrs Harper should be ashamed of her misinformed self ..... it's ok though facebook loves her
Old 12-21-2017, 04:17 PM

The other side from the much hated CBC.
http://www.cbc.ca/news/canada/edmont...ters-1.4461144

Thomas Sowell
Old 12-21-2017, 04:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
Nice of them to have an article with some sound logic in it, but I think the damage is already done.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
Reasons like this and the bc grizz hunt is why we need to confront the media when they conduct smear campaigns against hunters. The media shapes the opinions of people who know virtually nothing about game management then antis lobby and rile up clueless politicians and bang we have what we are dealing with. If they succeed in painting a negative picture we can kiss hunting goodbye.
Exactly. The more people who complain about this kind of journalism, the better. By complain I mean email the ones who publish it.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:40 PM

Default mrs Harper's comments crossed a line.

Think I'll have to dust off the old twitter account.
Making a comment about Mr. Ecklund's anatomy wasn't very stately for a former PM's wife.....
Maybe she's compensating for something?

Also, we have a new podcast episode up. And a new page for photos and additional notes.....

https://highlanderhunting.wordpress....des-and-notes/

Cheers.
John
Old 12-21-2017, 06:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sooner View Post
Agreed, she states she comes from hunters and fishers and used all parts of animals. Well the hunter kept the hide and ate the meat, so now what you have to say laureen?
Guarantee she couldn’t tell you what end of a gun the bullets go it, let alone use any meat not wrapped in plastic and styrofoam.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:21 PM

Stay off social media with this stuff. You know what's going to happen but guys don't seem to get it. Thinking that because it was a legal hunt is going to excuse you from the idiots that see a dead over sized ***** cat in the arms of a hunter. Because that's what they see and now everyone that hunts has to pay for that pic posted on social media. I don't post any hunting pics on Facebook. After we loose our hunting privileges I will have to keep my fish pics off there too.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:31 PM

Cougar or any wildlife hunting with proper laws and management is completely ethical.
Out of all voices about our country's wildlife i believe the hunter or outdoorsmen are contributing the most in the longevity of our country species.
"We" the outdoorsman are most in touch of our lands and the ecosystem within it.

Tight lines.......straight shooting
Old 12-21-2017, 06:37 PM

Why is anyone surprised at Lauren Harper’s comment?

What else do you expect from a former irrelevant public figure who is now even more irrelevant?

The woman obviously needs attention based on her fixation with penises.

Most people saw a pic of Steve and a cougar.

Lauren saw herself as an old cougar, with Steve holding her from behind....

In her mind, penis was a logical thing to post....

Imagine the foul language out of her mouth when some equally irrelevant old lady yells “BINGO”!!!
Old 12-21-2017, 06:42 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
I don't know why anybody posts harvests on FB...
Exactly! With Facebook and Instagram and everyone wanting to run a news feed on their very move these days, be ready for the backlash. We as hunters need to be wise when posting all this stuff, just gives the anti's more ammo. Enjoy your hunt and keep it to your circle of hunting friends is my motto, to each his own, but if you choose to post, don't be alarmed when there's an uproar. It really is smearing it in the anti's face when you post it, why go there.
Old 12-21-2017, 08:11 PM

Default Ancestory?

I'm certain that I read or heard somewhere that Steve Ecklund has Native heritage? Am I just imagining this? If it is the case then he should have every ancestorial right to hunt whatever where ever and when ever!
Old 12-22-2017, 09:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by teledogs View Post
I don't know why anybody posts harvests on FB...
Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
It really is smearing it in the anti's face when you post it, why go there.
Because running and hiding your hunting rights supports the anti's claim that hunting is wrong.

The hunting community must hold our ground - or we will lose it.

Snowflakes are offended? So are we.

Snowflakes are oppressed? So are we.

Turn the table, but use logic and fact - that is what they are without.

Or turn your back, and do nothing and prepare your explanation to your children why hunting in Canada was outlawed.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by HIGHLANDER HUNTING View Post
Exactly. The more people who complain about this kind of journalism, the better. By complain I mean email the ones who publish it.
This would be the "balance" they are going to try to claim. My guess is they just got an avalanche of complaints and are backpedaling like a cat that pizzed off a badger.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:34 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntinstuff View Post
Why is anyone surprised at Lauren Harper’s comment?

What else do you expect from a former irrelevant public figure who is now even more irrelevant?

The woman obviously needs attention based on her fixation with penises.

Most people saw a pic of Steve and a cougar.

Lauren saw herself as an old cougar, with Steve holding her from behind....

In her mind, penis was a logical thing to post....

Imagine the foul language out of her mouth when some equally irrelevant old lady yells “BINGO”!!!
Lol.
Old 12-22-2017, 09:52 AM

Talk about blatant harassment on a legal hunt! Where is the protection for our hunting heritage ?
Old 12-22-2017, 09:52 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by pikergolf View Post
I am glad someone is pushing back with the facts that this was totally legal but what I really do not like about articles like this is this:

Mark Boyce, a professor of population ecology with the University of Alberta, also defended Ecklund and said the avalanche of criticism is unwarranted....................................... .................................................. ...............................Few people get angry when fish are caught or birds are shot out of the sky, he said

Defending a legal hunting activity by describing another legal hunting activity that does not anger, may just give the antis another legal activity to target and get angry about after they are done with this cougar hunt.
Old 12-22-2017, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
Because running and hiding your hunting rights supports the anti's claim that hunting is wrong.

The hunting community must hold our ground - or we will lose it.

Snowflakes are offended? So are we.

Snowflakes are oppressed? So are we.

Turn the table, but use logic and fact - that is what they are without.

Or turn your back, and do nothing and prepare your explanation to your children why hunting in Canada was outlawed.
Totally agree!!!!
Old 12-22-2017, 10:31 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by covey ridge View Post
I am glad someone is pushing back with the facts that this was totally legal but what I really do not like about articles like this is this:

Mark Boyce, a professor of population ecology with the University of Alberta, also defended Ecklund and said the avalanche of criticism is unwarranted....................................... .................................................. ...............................Few people get angry when fish are caught or birds are shot out of the sky, he said

Defending a legal hunting activity by describing another legal hunting activity that does not anger, may just give the antis another legal activity to target and get angry about after they are done with this cougar hunt.

I'm not sure you get it.

Anti's will ALWAYS push the envelope, be outraged at any and all forms of killing.

Keeping Cougar hunting strongly tied to bird and fish harvest is wise. There is strength in the relationship.

This reminds me of last years Spear hunting media craze.

Except that time the AFGA pres. went on his own to sacrifice spear hunting to appease the antis.... he thought that would make them happy and less likely to demand more.... how is that working?

And so it is in our consciousness, the Alberta Bowhunters Association is STILL strongly lobbying for the banning of Spear Hunting. The President of the ABA still wants to end a legal and valid type go hunting he doesn't like.

Hunting will never survive the Social licence war by submitting, by hiding.

IMO, hunters are probably the MOST apathetic group when it comes to defending our rights, culture and traditions. It is quite ironic how a bunch of people that understand the Nature of death are also the least likely to lash out for their own survival.

Hunters are the greatest predator and weakest prey.

We must stick together, individuals must stand up and make an effort to voice our
position to the public and to the governments.

"to identify very rare, scarce or special forms of fish and wildlife outdoor recreation opportunities and to ensure that access to these opportunities continues to be available to all Albertans."
Old 12-22-2017, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by elk396 View Post
Exactly! With Facebook and Instagram and everyone wanting to run a news feed on their very move these days, be ready for the backlash. We as hunters need to be wise when posting all this stuff, just gives the anti's more ammo. Enjoy your hunt and keep it to your circle of hunting friends is my motto, to each his own, but if you choose to post, don't be alarmed when there's an uproar. It really is smearing it in the anti's face when you post it, why go there.
I agree! I keep very few dead animal pictures and the ones I have I only show to hunters.