Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-21-2017, 06:29 AM

Default Sheep registration

Just wondering how many guys are still waiting to get their sheep back from F&W, my son has been waiting for 7 weeks now .
Old 12-21-2017, 06:36 AM
Banned

I would have been calling every day after the day I dropped it off. It only take about a half an hour to register a sheep.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:42 AM

we have called, we have gone in numerous times as well
Old 12-21-2017, 09:53 AM

They are keeping it for a reason...
Or they lost it....
Old 12-21-2017, 09:54 AM

I’d be looking for their supervisor to get an answer. Go higher up the chain, keep digging. That isn’t right!!
Old 12-21-2017, 09:55 AM

That I believe.. Only the Government would loose someone’s coveted sheep head!!
Old 12-21-2017, 09:56 AM

They keep saying they don't have time , no reason to keep it at all , not a squeaker , lost it is maybe
Old 12-21-2017, 10:06 AM

My daughter just got hers back last week. 6 and a half week wait. You can have it transferd to another office to be plugged but thats a pain too. Phone lots and put in a complaint. Good luck.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:12 AM

They insisted multiple times to keep my ram and plug it at their convenience. That was a firm NO. I phoned and when they had time went in to get it plugged. There is no way i'd chance them damaging, losing, spoiling the cape. Almost two month wait is too long, especially for something that takes an hour to do at most.
Old 12-21-2017, 10:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pierre Tessier View Post
They insisted multiple times to keep my ram and plug it at their convenience. That was a firm NO. I phoned and when they had time went in to get it plugged. There is no way i'd chance them damaging, losing, spoiling the cape. Almost two month wait is too long, especially for something that takes an hour to do at most.
This^^^^
Did this in Edmonton with mine. Will never go there again though. I would never leave a sheep anywhere unless it’s with the taxidermist.
Old 12-21-2017, 12:30 PM
Banned

I believe you only have 14 days to get it registered from the date of kill. Just have to be a little more selective on where you go to get it registered.
Old 12-21-2017, 01:37 PM

You/your son need to show up in person and not leave without your son's sheep horns. Plugged or not. If the office they are currently at can't do it bring them to an office that can.

No good reason for leaving the hunter hanging like that without an explanation.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:01 PM

When I registered mine last year I called and made an appointment in calgary , and it still took them over 2 hours to get it plugged. Not only that, they didn't even have the proper maps of the WMU I killed the ram in and asked me to point out where the ram was harvested on the map they provide with the regulations book. When I pointed with my finger he's like you need to be more specific. Get me the proper maps then. It was a an absolute gong show.
Old 12-21-2017, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by blackmamba View Post
When I registered mine last year I called and made an appointment in calgary , and it still took them over 2 hours to get it plugged. Not only that, they didn't even have the proper maps of the WMU I killed the ram in and asked me to point out where the ram was harvested on the map they provide with the regulations book. When I pointed with my finger he's like you need to be more specific. Get me the proper maps then. It was a an absolute gong show.
The goon in Edmonton said they didn't have a map in the office, not one! Used google earth on computer trying to entrap me.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:08 PM

And why is it when an exceptional ram is take-in a remote area with no hunting pressure the following year has f+w or their friends hunting the area ?
Old 12-21-2017, 05:17 PM

Default ram

Had mine done in Cochrane. Staff there were great. Respectful and professional! They had a great interest in age of sheep and health of the herd in general. Pleasant experience and walked out about 1 and 1/2 hours later.
Old 12-21-2017, 05:18 PM

Default sheep horns

i dropped off sheep horns in september and called numerous time and still not returned to me yet.
Old 12-21-2017, 06:30 PM

I had mine registered and plugged at the Lethbridge office.
100% positive experience.
Polite, professional and quick.
"I find it amazing that we, as a society, find it so easy to view the perpetrators of crime with an understanding and knowing that they are suffering from the frailties of being a human being yet we cannot seem to extend that same courtesy to the very people we ask to face, on a daily basis, the worst that mankind has to offer."
-Dave (Whiskey Wish)-
Old 12-21-2017, 07:12 PM

Rocky Mountain House is a good place to go. They actually know what they are doing and there is a biologist and conservation officers that can and will do it at your convenience. Worth the drive to take it somewhere where they see rams and book them regularly.

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-21-2017, 08:10 PM

Had my found dead in Edmonton for over 3 months! Then when I took my ram in from this year I waited a week and then said I have had enough and will be calling a lawyer if it is not done in the next few days. I called numerous times. after I dropped my heads off. Excuse was nobody was on shift during the summer for the deadhead..... Then the officer was sick...... No wonder no poachers get caught! it seems they don't have staff on shift......
I won't take another head to Edmonton Office again!
Old 12-22-2017, 09:05 AM

Took my to Edmonton last year. Left it over night, and just picked it up the next day as they had multiple to do at once. Absolutely no problems, and completely professional.

They also had multiple maps for me to be able to point out the location of the harvest.

I would recommend remembering the name of the officer dealt with when first dropped off for easier follow up if necessary. I learned a great deal about their side of the registration process just by asking questions of the officer while she was inspecting the sheep.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:10 AM

Default Registration

The only reason they are keeping your ram longer is they might have had a complaint about the ram and the possibility of it being shot close to a Boundary. If F and W find a kill evidence on the mine they take DNA samples that can be linked when a Ram is registered. In the case of a found ram .....there are lots of questions why they might take their time registering that one ....just read between the lines. Hope this helps f and w are busy and there are lots of hunters always trying to push the limits out there .
Old 12-22-2017, 11:20 AM

Quick and easy in Valleyview. Every one I ever took there it is an hour tops if you make an appointment a day or two in advance. I took one in 3 weeks ago and Dan had it done in less then an hour. They are always super good to deal with there.
Old 12-22-2017, 12:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
The only reason they are keeping your ram longer is they might have had a complaint about the ram and the possibility of it being shot close to a Boundary. If F and W find a kill evidence on the mine they take DNA samples that can be linked when a Ram is registered. In the case of a found ram .....there are lots of questions why they might take their time registering that one ....just read between the lines. Hope this helps f and w are busy and there are lots of hunters always trying to push the limits out there .
Makes sense but if the ram was found in the summer when there is no hunting season and looks like it has sat there on the mountain for a long time then why the issue?
Old 12-22-2017, 02:32 PM

Default Registration

Maybe F and W wanted t o make sure that you were not trespassing like many guys do on the mines in Alberta and find dead winter killed rams.
Old 12-22-2017, 04:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mightybuck View Post
Maybe F and W wanted t o make sure that you were not trespassing like many guys do on the mines in Alberta and find dead winter killed rams.
If they knew you were trespassing months earlier something should have been done then but I can see they would want to make sure. I find it odd it takes months though to investigate it.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:34 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by cowmanbob View Post
And why is it when an exceptional ram is take-in a remote area with no hunting pressure the following year has f+w or their friends hunting the area ?
Is this actually happening? Anyone seen this first hand? Interesting.
Old 12-24-2017, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dynamite View Post
Is this actually happening? Anyone seen this first hand? Interesting.
Yes
Old 12-25-2017, 06:50 AM

I had a head that I found 30 years ago . It was found by me and my partner.
My partner took it to the old office in Edmonton and back then they just gave out a paper with no plug. I was given the head with out any paper work ,as it was lost so i took it in to get it plugged about 3 years ago.

They would not return it !
Said they have no records going back that far, and I was out of luck.
Knowing all this I would have told them I just found it two weeks ago.
Old 12-25-2017, 04:03 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by -JR- View Post
I had a head that I found 30 years ago . It was found by me and my partner.
My partner took it to the old office in Edmonton and back then they just gave out a paper with no plug. I was given the head with out any paper work ,as it was lost so i took it in to get it plugged about 3 years ago.

They would not return it !
Said they have no records going back that far, and I was out of luck.
Knowing all this I would have told them I just found it two weeks ago.
Why would you take the head back into F&W again? That would be the day I'd do that.