Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-22-2017, 09:36 PM

Default Hunting Mentor

Hi everyone. I've read a couple post that are somewhat similar but wanted to put a feeler of my own out.

I'm new to hunting. Did not grow up with it and have no friends or family that participate. I'm looking to start with deer and upland birds/water fowel. Interested in both bow and rifle.

If there's anyone out there that may be intersted and showing a new fellow some of the skills needed to become a good outdoorsman. I.e. scouting, field dressing, firearm ans bow practice and maintenance etc.

I'm a little late to the party and am turning 40 this spring so I have alot to make up. Not in a rush but looking to pick up good habits early in my hunting career.

I'm doing alot of reading, listening, asking questions and watching videos but a real life teacher would be such a help.

My name is Roland and I'm in the Edmonton area.

Like I say, if anyone feels they have the time or willingness to share some of their knowledge and skills, I would be tremendously greatful

All the best
Old 12-22-2017, 11:17 PM

There is a looking for hunting partner thread sticky, try posting on that.
Old 12-22-2017, 11:59 PM

Just did. Thanks
Old 12-23-2017, 08:28 AM

Rol,I have 60 years of hunting experience on most rivers in Alberta. Also run a RFMA trapline, just had a herd of 35 elk on last trap check. If you practise good gun safety, willing to do your share of work, and pay your share of expenses,send me a PM and we can talk.
Old 12-23-2017, 10:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Big Grey Wolf View Post
Rol,I have 60 years of hunting experience on most rivers in Alberta. Also run a RFMA trapline, just had a herd of 35 elk on last trap check. If you practise good gun safety, willing to do your share of work, and pay your share of expenses,send me a PM and we can talk.
You best jump on this, ROL.

What a great offer, Big Grey Wolf. The good you give will always come back to you in one way or another. AO is a good place.
Old 12-27-2017, 04:38 AM

AO is a great place, I'm very thankful to have found it. I've spent hundreds if not thousands of hours going over everything on here and it has provided a ton of knowledge and info, not to mention laughs and a few tears that I wouldn't otherwise have been able to find on my own.

Wife isn't a big fan because I keep finding things to spend her money on (I call it OUR money, but we know how that works, don't we?) but I'm still a much better hunter and all around person from it all.

Old 12-27-2017, 08:17 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sns2 View Post
You best jump on this, ROL.

What a great offer, Big Grey Wolf. The good you give will always come back to you in one way or another. AO is a good place.
X2 great offer!

LC