Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-23-2017, 03:06 PM

Default Missing trail cam

Its been a week since I noticed my trail cam was gone. I thought I would wait to write this so that every other word wouldn't have a bleep in it. I am still steaming that a "fello hunter" would take another one's trail cam.
The camera was North of Coleman on truck road under the power lines on private property that you did not have permission on. This is for anyone who borrowed a camera this year PUT IT BACK!!!
Old 12-23-2017, 03:33 PM

I hate to say it but get used to it I hide mine were no buddy will find them but I've also learned not to put them in open areas even on private property

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-23-2017, 03:49 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by oldman59 View Post
Its been a week since I noticed my trail cam was gone. I thought I would wait to write this so that every other word wouldn't have a bleep in it. I am still steaming that a "fello hunter" would take another one's trail cam.
The camera was North of Coleman on truck road under the power lines on private property that you did not have permission on. This is for anyone who borrowed a camera this year PUT IT BACK!!!
How do you know the guy was a fellow hunter, isn't the hunting season over.
Old 12-23-2017, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by rcmc View Post
How do you know the guy was a fellow hunter, isn't the hunting season over.
Sounds like a trespasser at least, but from what I've experienced, only hunters and outdoorsmen are observant enough to see a camera
Old 12-23-2017, 06:17 PM

Been there and it sucks. I've had a trail cam and blind stolen at separate occasions. It sucks azz but it is what it is.

More than likely a fellow "hunter". We are our own worst enemies, too many jealous hunters out there. Guys who have zero respect for fellow hunters. The type of guy who trespasses, hunts other people's blinds/stands and steals your stuff.

I've learned not to tell others where I hunt unless they are close friends. I'll gladly help guys and put them on game but I will not tell my favourite spots or where I shoot my deer. I've put five guys on bucks this year, four of them were intentional, I advised them on which areas to go and actually told two new hunters where to actually sit and they all shot bucks. The fifth guy, I gave good advice too, he ended up following me a few times and figured out where I personally hunted by following my me or my tire tracks, he even beat me once to one of my spots, which is fine as I hunt public land. That day, I saw him at that spot so I moved on, about 15min later, he was getting his truck stuck (I shyte you not) 30m from where I was parked and getting ready to go and get set up for the evening, he proceeded to get unstuck by revving his diesel engine and then park next to me, roll down his window and literally yell "HEY MAN HOW'S IT GOING?", I asked him if he was going to hunt that spot he was coming from and he said no, so I went back to "my spot", where he was. I ended up missing a 150inch typical about 2 hours after he left (my fault and clear miss, nothing but hair and the deer even gave me an unexpected nice broadside shot while I was looking at a pile of his hairs). The next day, I ended up shooting a real nice non-typical that scored 167 3/8 inch at that same spot. Well wouldn't you know, the day after, he texts me a picture of a 120-130inch non-typical he had shot from that exact same spot. I Told him congrats and that was it. I had a great season and guys like that won't ruin it for me, I'll be there next year and he won't as he is soon moving far far far away!!! haha
Old 12-23-2017, 07:37 PM

Quote:
Welcome to the club
Old 12-23-2017, 07:57 PM

This topic is one of the reasons that I have yet to purchase a trail camera. There is no doubt in my mind that they are a great scouting tool. However, I have heard so many horror stories of guys having them stolen. I hunt public lands as well, and there’s not too many places a guy could hide a camera, where nobody will find it. Even when you are several miles from the nearest road, you’re still not guaranteed that nobody will stumble across it. Private land doesn’t seem to deter people from stealing them either. A buddy of mine had 3 cameras stolen from the same property this summer, all set up in different areas.

I am thinking hard about buying one or two trail cams, But I don’t want to end up a statistic like many others. So sad that people feel the need to steal them, but then again, I’m assuming the majority of the ones stolen on private property, are stolen to get rid of the evidence of trespassing. I guess if they’re ok with trespassing, what’s a little petty theft to add to the mix! Very sorry to hear about your loss of personal property. Maybe something will come up and you’ll find it back out there.
Old 12-24-2017, 10:17 AM

Default Got to go deep!!!

I've learned to get deeper in the bush to set up cams. I lost 4 cams within 2 years about 6 years ago. Quit putting on field edges, went deeper and haven't lost one since and I run over 20 cams
Also I pull lots just before rifle season as odds increase of a cam going missing with so many extra people walking around.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:12 AM

Quote:
"PUT IT BACK" Sounds like you just gave the guy permission to go back on your land. LOL
Old 12-24-2017, 11:38 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Not a fellow hunter, a thief, a criminal, far from a fellow hunter.

Hope you get it back but dought it.

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 12-24-2017, 12:52 PM

Join the club. I went out yesterday to check blinds and cameras.
Well, there wasn’t anything to check as someone already did it for me.
Old 12-24-2017, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by boonie View Post
I've learned to get deeper in the bush to set up cams. I lost 4 cams within 2 years about 6 years ago. Quit putting on field edges, went deeper and haven't lost one since and I run over 20 cams
Also I pull lots just before rifle season as odds increase of a cam going missing with so many extra people walking around.
Exactly

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-24-2017, 10:28 PM

I had my memory card stolen from a camera this year. I placed it in an obvious spot on crown land and was just happy to get it back.
Old 12-24-2017, 11:57 PM

I've had two stolen in the past two years, both from places that take at least 2-3hrs of real effort to get to. One was locked to the tree AND it was password protected so the camera is useless to the guy.

It's just a greasy, arsewipe move and it changes the way I think of other people I run into in those places. Makes me suspicious where I never used to be. Shame.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:06 AM

All it took for the op to make his first post in 7.5 years was some turd stealing his camera

I feel for you. I have not had one taken yet, but I only have a few and I have been running them for just about a year now.

Also, the turd will not return the camera even if he reads this.
Old 12-25-2017, 12:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Twobucks View Post
I've had two stolen in the past two years, both from places that take at least 2-3hrs of real effort to get to. One was locked to the tree AND it was password protected so the camera is useless to the guy.

It's just a greasy, arsewipe move and it changes the way I think of other people I run into in those places. Makes me suspicious where I never used to be. Shame.
Yup it is sad.

The lack of respect by some individuals is appalling.
Old 12-25-2017, 08:35 AM

I have 2 cheap camera's that I use,if someone took them it wouldn't be to big of loss.Someone took my memory card this year.Funny they left the camera.I guess it wasn't a good enough camera for them.I have a cell camera also that I am leary of leaving it out there.