Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-22-2007, 11:33 PM
huntercam

Default Peerless And Graham Lakes

has any one fished these lakes early in May? Any info on where to fish on them and what to use would be appreciated

Thanks
Old 03-23-2007, 09:47 AM
FiveO

A friend of mine went out right after ice out for three days last year. He did well the first day with lots of lakers around 8-12lb and the next two days very little action.
Im thinking of heading there soon as the ice is out for a few days and try my luck for the lakers they should be in shallow and a guy wont need 250000 lbs of weight to get to them.

Grist is another good choice for lakers early in the season but you cant launch a very big boat there.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:32 AM
bigkid67

Hey five0 where is grist lake. I have spent a bit of time at peerless but plan to spend a lot more time there this year but any lake with lakers in it is good for me.
Old 03-23-2007, 10:40 AM
FiveO

Just past Winiferd lake by Conklin. If it rains it can be tough pullin a trailer in. When ever i go to grist i always bring the 12' and 6hp and camp out in the tent. Real nice camp site and lake.
Ive caught most of my lakers there on polar bear jigs vertical jigging. I will try and scan some picks of a few I caught from Grist. My biggest was about 9lbs and lots around 5-6lbs.
Some nice pike in the lake as well.
Old 03-23-2007, 12:39 PM
huntercam

Thanks for the Info Five0 Hope you get the pics downloaded would like to see them

Cam
Old 03-23-2007, 12:56 PM
bigkid67

Hey yea thank's five O- Grist is a litte far to go from peace river but peerless is not bad. Should be spending a lot of time this year at peerless and Graham i think thats where huntercam and i will be doing most of our fishing this year with slave going back down to one fish. Better off fishing the out of the way lakes less pepole.
Old 03-23-2007, 01:20 PM
bearbait

peerless closed till after may long!!
i was going to go but going to slave insted
rob
Old 03-23-2007, 01:56 PM
huntercam

peerless is open year round for lakers but limit 0 on wally's and gators
Old 03-23-2007, 07:21 PM
bearbait

r u sure???the way i read it in the regs its closed till after may long??
rob
Old 03-24-2007, 06:51 PM
Home Wreaker

cold lake has some nice lakers also
Old 03-25-2007, 10:48 AM
huntercam

2007 Regs state Peerless Lake Open all year (lake only)
Lake Trout limlt 3;Wally and Pike limit 0 Mar1 to May 31 Wally limit 1 over 50 and pike limit 3 over 63 from June 1 to Feb 28 Perch limit 15 Lake White fish 10 Burbot limit 10
*Tributaries and outlet CLOSED Nov 1 to May 31.

Now the way i read this the only thing you can't keep year round in Wally's and Nothern's

Think i am reading it right anyone else??
Old 03-27-2007, 08:20 AM
gunslinger

heres a nice laker i caught out of peerless on a huge whit jig through the ice.
we caught about 4 of them on this trip and also broke the alberta record ling cod out of peerless also.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:22 AM
gunslinger

Old 03-27-2007, 08:31 AM
gunslinger

fiveo is absolutly correct about the road being bad if it rains, we went on a adventure into there and tryed to fish winfred and then we went over to grist but like he said it rained then on the way out this is what happened to us, had to throw the axles and tires and stuff into the boat and load the boat on my truck, needless to say the old man and i built a new trailer after this little excursion.

Old 03-27-2007, 08:44 AM
209x50cal

Great fish Gunslinger! Looking at your adventure pictures with the trailer I couldn't help but laugh and think you and I must be related, no way stuff like that happens to unrelated people! I can't count the times that I've had to Macgyver someones quad, trailer, boat, truck etc to get home.
Always makes for the best stories though!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:04 AM
sheep hunter

Default Great Fish

Great fish and awesome pics!
Old 03-27-2007, 11:40 AM
FiveO

Default Re: Great Fish

Nice picks. Gunslinger did you fellas camp at the campground?
The reason i ask is I have five days of next week and with original plans of going to Utikima out due to winter kill I am looking for other options and its either snipe for Pike or Peerless for the Lakers?.
Old 03-27-2007, 11:49 AM
huntercam

Hey Gunslinger how deep were you fishing through the ice?
Old 03-27-2007, 05:24 PM
Hunting Kid

Default Great Fish

Wow nice fish. Just a few questions if you don't mind.
-Were those fish caught this winter?
-Did you use any bait?
-Where did you fish & what depth?

~Hunting Kid
Old 03-27-2007, 08:09 PM
gunslinger

guys we did camp in our outfitters tent right there in the campground, if you go straight out from the boat ramp and go straight across the lake and stay out about 400 yards from the shore in about 30-40 feet of water with huge white jigs with no bait,, bounce it off the bottom like your stirring up the bottom or something is trying to get some food and they jsut come in there and nail them jigs,
i used a water cam when we were there, so that you can pull the hook away from 15 pound ling cod to wait for the lakers.
unbelevable fishing in peerless when we were there, good thing to do is call the fella at the graham store and find out whats happing, the snow is deep getting across but well worth the meal after with some cheap mans lobster.
Old 03-27-2007, 08:13 PM
gunslinger

yea 209 your right as you can see i am pretty ****y looking in the picture but it sure is funny when the old man tells the story of when i pulled into his drive way wiht his boat on the back of the truck and not pulled behind,,,his favorite saying i heard once again((( @#%$ kids anyway))):rollin :rollin
Old 03-27-2007, 08:53 PM
re

Default re

Lets see some ling pictures!
Old 03-27-2007, 09:10 PM
huntercam

Default Re: re

Thanks for all the info guys that is going to be my lake of choice this summer for the early spring anyway
Old 03-27-2007, 09:35 PM
Hunting Kid

Thanks for sharing all that great information. One more question if don't mind.
-What time of year did you ice fish Pearless?
Thanks

~Hunting Kid
Old 03-27-2007, 10:04 PM
gunslinger

we were out there at the beginning of may for the lakers, there was lots of ice on there still,,,sorry buck i dont have them on my computer but i do have them in my photo album so i might get the wife to go and get them scanned onto a memory stick so i can show you guys.
Old 03-27-2007, 10:55 PM
re

Default re

cool stuff! I didn't get any throught the ice this season-it was not for lack of trying:lol
Old 03-28-2007, 09:09 AM
FiveO

Thanks Gunslinger.
It will be peerless or Snipe next Wed-Sun and im leaning towards Peerless.

Thanks again.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:36 AM
bigkid67

Hey fiveO don't go to snipe it had a summer kill last year. Thats what the fish and game told me out of high prairie. Huntercam and i where there for half a day back in feb did not even see one fish on the cam. So we might hit Peerless next weekend.
Old 03-28-2007, 09:38 AM
FiveO

Thanks for the heads up.