Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-03-2008, 11:23 AM

Default Bow Burbot

Howdy fellas,

A girlfriend of mine was scuba diving in the Bow this weekend in between Bowness and the Weir in Calgary this weekend and she has reported that there are strong numbers of HUGE Burbot (up to 36 inches) and Pike (up to 30 inches) all over the place in the pools. I live near the Bow and I have not heard many reports about Pike being in the bow. I have caught MANY pike out of the Elbow, so it makes sense that they are in the Bow.

What I am curious to know is does anyone fish for Burbot exclusively in the Bow? If so what are you using? The only bait allowed is maggots in a certain slot.

As well, the Bow is closed to fishing in the Ghost to Weir section until Nov 30, does anyone fish or have caught Burbs down from the Weir? Burbotman where are you on this one?

Tight Lines
Old 11-03-2008, 11:48 AM

I have caught one across from the highwood last year, surprised the heck out of me. Heard of the odd one being caught but pretty few and far between.
Old 11-03-2008, 04:13 PM

Before the Bait Bans for the Bow, Burbs were caught more often. Although it is now, but they can still be caught a variety of Lures. I've used Jig and Rubber tails to catch them. Another tactic is to Texas Rig a Rubber Worm and work it slowly across the bottom of the deep pools. Or drift them on the bottom with a Slip Bobber.
Old 11-03-2008, 06:52 PM

I caught them years ago out of the peace river but that was with bait. I wonder if some type of powerbait would help?
Old 11-04-2008, 12:05 AM

Good advice on the jigs, thank you. I have seen a technique where one drifts a bucktail or jig with tail under a slip bobber with about 5ft more line below the bobber than the average water depth. 10ft average depth, run a 15ft leader and drift it in a drift boat. The bobber, assisted by the current, irregularily jigs the lure on bottom.

I think this could be a good system with a worm, leech or jig for Trout, Pike and Burbot in the Bow. Basically what you were describing tchow. Dec 1 I am giving it a shot.
Old 11-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Banned

I've caught small pike around Calgary zoo, and i've seen lots of them there, but all tiny, like a pencil. I know one really deep spot on the bow, between crowchild bridge and pumphouse theater, i'll try there when season opens. Cought a burbot right under glenmore dam when water level was high, on a spinner right under a rock on which i was standing. There are some odd pictures of burbot being cought on the bow, but no 30 inch pike within city limits.

Would burbot bite on a scented lure(like the ones for catfish, tube over a treble)??? Since we can't use bait
Old 11-04-2008, 08:16 AM
Banned

Thanks for the info Fishermen Guy.
Old 11-04-2008, 01:37 PM

No problem Jeprli, also thanks for your input. I have pulled a few good fish from below the dam, the biggest being a 5lb 5oz pike.

Good idea on the catfish rig, I have also entertained that idea but nothing has materialized yet.

Does anyone know of any good holes downstream of the Weir?
Old 11-04-2008, 01:58 PM

Default scented lure

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post
I've caught small pike around Calgary zoo, and i've seen lots of them there, but all tiny, like a pencil. I know one really deep spot on the bow, between crowchild bridge and pumphouse theater, i'll try there when season opens. Cought a burbot right under glenmore dam when water level was high, on a spinner right under a rock on which i was standing. There are some odd pictures of burbot being cought on the bow, but no 30 inch pike within city limits.

Would burbot bite on a scented lure(like the ones for catfish, tube over a treble)??? Since we can't use bait

Fishing with a scented lure is the same as using bait, better be careful.

Caddisman
Old 11-04-2008, 05:42 PM
Banned

Well if it is then we'll forget about it.
Old 11-05-2008, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeprli View Post

I have caught Burbot in lakes with a scented lure as I was tired of the walleye pulling off the smelt so I tried a big powerbait worm. Was surprised that it worked though. But as caddisman said bait is illegal in the bow, thus no scented artificials. I remember about 15 years ago I caught a nice burbot just after ice out just below the Bearspaw with a classic Len Thompson spoon.
Old 11-06-2008, 08:41 AM
Banned

Like i said if it is considered illegal then i wont use it, it was just a question.
Would that mean no power grubs or any scented silicone lure, salted YUM...???
All these would be considered illegal, right?
Old 11-06-2008, 08:47 AM

Bait is any lure that attracts using scent. But I think we can do fine by drifiting rubber worms under a slip bobber.
Old 11-06-2008, 03:12 PM

Go West of the Crowchild bridge where it crosses over the Bow. There is remnants of an Island there. Here's abit of history tidbit. Years ago, it was called Archer's Island. Once upon a time, it was home to a Fish Hatchery. There is a hole there about 35ft deep towards the end of the Island.
When bait was allowed, it was a prime location as a variety of species could be caught. Browns, Rainbows, Ling, and even the odd Laker that made its way down from Bearspaw.
I send a buddy down there once and he used Rap's. He managed to catch and released a 18.5 lb Pike. With a forage base of Trout, Pike will put on the lbs quickly.
If you do a float in the Canoe, you will be surpised to find a few deep holes on the Bow. We floated over a few places that were over 25+ ft. The Zoo hole (Southeast end of Calgary Zoo) is one of the places that is about 27ft. Used to be great for Night fishing for Ling with Bait.
Old 11-06-2008, 06:39 PM

Awesome Information Tchow, thank you! My friend who was diving in the zoo hole recorded it at 24ft. With the water being so low right now, I admire your memory for that accurate depth.

I did not know about that hole near the Crowchild bridge, next time the season opens I will have to check that out!! Thanks! I will keep a tight lip on that tidbit!

I am hoping to get into some Bow Burbs before too much ice forms. Anyone for a trip this coming Saturday?
Old 11-06-2008, 07:06 PM

Quote:
I will keep a tight lip on that tidbit!
Too late....if its on the net its no longer a secret. Lots of good secret places and spots have been ruined thanks to the net.

(not a poke at you tchow just a fact of the internet)

So if you stumble across a good spot or place keep it to yourself or to PM's cause if its on the wide open net it will be pounded soon after posting.

AKA MAVERICK
Old 11-06-2008, 09:16 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lethalconnection View Post
Too late....if its on the net its no longer a secret. Lots of good secret places and spots have been ruined thanks to the net.

So if you stumble across a good spot or place keep it to yourself or to PM's cause if its on the wide open net it will be pounded soon after posting.
I understand where you are coming from Lethal, I am tired of seeing good spots overfished.

But is'nt that why we are here? Sportsmen sharing tips? Or is it to just boast what you have caught or killed?

Perhaps I am naieve to this, but I am optimistic about the people who share this forum to respect the information that we share.
Old 11-06-2008, 11:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Fisherman Guy View Post
I understand where you are coming from Lethal, I am tired of seeing good spots overfished.

But is'nt that why we are here? Sportsmen sharing tips? Or is it to just boast what you have caught or killed?

Perhaps I am naieve to this, but I am optimistic about the people who share this forum to respect the information that we share.
Im totally for sharing tips, tricks of the trades, wrongs and rights, to help eachother out and this site is awesome for that but i dont like giving spots out on the net. Ill talk to u in PM's, in person how ever, but i refuse to put it on the net cause there are alot of lazy people out there looking for a good spot without puttin work into it and then they will tell their friends and BAM your awesome fishing hole has just become the new pounded spot on that body of water. ITs just not worth it when u are the one spending the time and effort to find these "secret" spots then one post on the forum and there it goes.

And unfortunately there are people on here that dont respect the info giving like the old saying goes"give a person an inch and they will take a mile" and there are more then a few that do that and not just the people that are registered but u have to remember the general public can read this forum so its open to everybody. So just a little tidbit for you, share your spots if u want but keep them private cause there are alot of freeloaders out there.

AKA MAVERICK
Old 11-07-2008, 08:47 AM
Banned

Like you said freeloaders are lazy to get out there, and it's true I just look at some of my fishing buddies, unless I propose some good fishing spot they wont even bother, so I'm almost always solo out there, but i'm starting to like it that way. Anyways, even if a lazy one takes notes and goes out there, he'll end up with nothing the first time, and that is enough for them to cool off and forget about it.

The spot tchow mentioned is huge, and it will take you a whole season to figure out just some of the location, lazy legs wont stick around that long.

I am new but I share my spots, and it's nice to hear of a new spot every now and then. Gives you a little variety even if it is on the same river. Best way to avoid any crowd is going fishing on a working day, that way you have that certain spot all to yourself and no one to bother you. So stay at work on a Saturday and go fish on Monday.
Old 11-07-2008, 11:19 AM

You make a good point Lethal, I agree with you. I was not aware that so many people frequent this board, and that it is abused by lazy legs. You are right, secret spots are to enjoy on your own - or with good buddies.

I remember reading a post you placed in reply to someone asking where to fish on the Bow in Calgary, and you suggested Fishcreek to a few people. Which is good, one can still catch fish there, but it is a zoo with people. If someone wants the goods, they must put the time in like everyone else to get their own secret spots. I picked up on this, so when someone is asking for a few good spots in a certain area, I only mention the busy well known places. That way, a newbie to the area still gets a place to fish, and they enjoy themselves. For those of us who are a little more advantageous, we keep the masses out of our spots, and we have our own fun.

Thanks for your posts, all of you. I hope I run into you on the water sometime. For those poaching, littering, ignorant goofs who are just here to clean out as many fish as possible, and stink up our sport; we are watching. Ever eaten a candy bar wrapper? Throw one more on the ground with me around and it will be a nice side dish to your beer bottle.

Am I getting older and bitter? No. But I have picked brown glass out of my foot.
Old 11-07-2008, 06:05 PM

Always Pro's and Con's when it comes to the Internet. I've met new Fishing Buddies and connnected up with Buds I haven't heard from for awhile. I agree there's lots of those that just surf for free info.
On the upside, there are Sportsmen that can go to some the new places and can be the Eyes and Ears for CO's. I've been to a couple of new places recommended on a few sites and kept a watchful Eyes on Poachers.
Iceman commeth!! See some yas on the Hardwater !!!
Old 11-07-2008, 08:14 PM

Quote:
I remember reading a post you placed in reply to someone asking where to fish on the Bow in Calgary, and you suggested Fishcreek to a few people. Which is good, one can still catch fish there, but it is a zoo with people.
I sure did its a well know place, still fish there to be caught, and there are alot of places like that on the bow and its a good place for the new or lazy people, for one they are easily accessable, good place to get your line wet, still fish(just maybe not as good or as many as our secret spots)to be caught, close for many of us to hit right after work, and good places to suggest on the internet so all in all im glad there are places on the river like that so i know where to send people that i may not know, lazy poeple, people that kill every possible fish they can legally or not, and as much as i hate to say it, keep the garbage more concentrated in certain areas instead of all over.

But for now my mind isnt too focused on the bow right now since there is snow flying, frost on my windshield the past few mornings, and staying around or below 0 so needless to say my mind is ALOT more focused on the very close 08/09 ice season.

FAT JACKS BOO YAH

AKA MAVERICK
Old 11-08-2008, 09:54 AM
2430M

Quote:
so all in all im glad there are places on the river like that so i know where to send people that i may not know, lazy poeple, people that kill every possible fish they can legally or not, and as much as i hate to say it, keep the garbage more concentrated in certain areas instead of all over.
So if you don't know someone how do you know they are lazy fish killers?
Old 11-08-2008, 10:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2430M View Post
So if you don't know someone how do you know they are lazy fish killers?
I dont thats why i would go with them to those spots to get to know them THEN i would take them to my spots if i think they are worthy.

AKA MAVERICK
Old 11-08-2008, 06:20 PM

I am not worthy!!! Thanks for the "FAT JACKS BOOYAHH!!" It's now stuck in my head; My buddy tripped and fell on my front steps today carrying a cas of beer and I dropped the "FAT JACKS BOOYAHHH!!" and he had no idea!! I am still laughing about it.

So Lethal when are we going ice fishing? I remember you teasing the Mighty Moosehunter about his jacks and how you catch the bigguns. I want in guy! That or Burbs.... lets do this!
Old 11-08-2008, 07:45 PM

Haha yah im pretty pumped to hook into the first one through the ice this year hopefully it will b better then my first one of the year last year....its was 39.5" and burbs are great fun just have to get them at the right times of the year and you will have a blast. But till ice the bow will have to do till then.

AKA MAVERICK
Old 11-09-2008, 04:40 PM

Default sharing

Quote:

aww come on guys -- i'll share if you'll share . you're 100% lethal , lets just keep it to pm's . too many game hogs out there.
Old 12-05-2008, 08:22 AM
Banned

Well I went out last week to scout the place. I saw one 6-8lb pike(small head, huge body) but it wouldn't budge it was just curious about my shad, no burbot(it was around noon so no surprise there)and i've seen a 2-3lb bull trout close to the weir.

Anyone else tried their luck???
Old 12-05-2008, 11:08 AM

My buddy and I went out the night of the 1st, in the snow storm. I figured the pressure change would trigger their feeding. No bites at the zoo hole.

I need to get out though, if anyone wants to try for Bubs tonite or tomorrow nite I am down to go. PM me or shine the BURBOT light in the sky and I will answer the call.