Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 07-19-2014, 01:16 PM

Default I screwed up big time !

I'm showing you guys this just to raise awareness that accidents happen to anyone and I made a huge mistake by having my shooting bench way to busy with to much different bullets of all calipers and all using the same lead. Anyways I put a 7mm-08 cartridge into my 270win and didn't even notice that I did it. It wasn't till an older brass picker showed up later in the evening and he picked up a piece of brass and asked if it was mine. I told him no right of the bat because the case was completely unrecognizable but when I looked at the stamp on the casing it was mine. I asked him how it could blow up like it did and he knew right away it was chambered in a wrong rifle.I took the blown out 7mm-08 casing and it slipped perfect into the 270win, I was speechless. The rifle was a single shot Tc. I remember seeing that casing early into my session and I ended up shooting another 10 shots through the 270 with the proper ammo and I never noticed anything odd. Thankfully I never got hurt or anyone else .

FHP

Some times you catch the Big fish, some times you get stuck in Chip
Old 07-19-2014, 01:19 PM

Glad to see your ok. I only keep the stuff I'm reloading at that time on my table. Always worried I might make a painful boo boo.
"I must not fear. Fear is the mind-killer. Fear is the little-death that brings total obliteration. I will face my fear. I will permit it to pass over me and through me. And when it has gone past I will turn the inner eye to see its path. Where the fear has gone there will be nothing. Only I will remain."
Old 07-19-2014, 01:22 PM

Lucky Duck!!! Good thing the 7-08 is so much shorter than the 270, it gave room for the gas to expand whilel pushing the .284 diameter bullet down the .270 diameter bore. You are lucky you didn't end up with a split barrel, or worse. A 308 will fit in there too and I would bet the result wouldn't be as harmless.

Glad you had no ill effects.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:29 PM

And guys worry about an extra thou or two headspace
Old 07-19-2014, 01:31 PM

Go buy a lottery ticket!
Old 07-19-2014, 01:33 PM

Last time at the range there were guys shooting 17hmr rounds through a 22 mag on purpose. They didn't understand the issue when I confronted them. I kept some of the brass after they left.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:34 PM

If it wasn't for the veteran that found the casing I would have went home that night like nothing even happened. I will see if I can find a gunsmith around my area to have a look at her but I see no obvious signs of damage.

Old 07-19-2014, 01:37 PM

Might be a good day to buy a lottery ticket!
Old 07-19-2014, 01:41 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DaleJ View Post
Might be a good day to buy a lottery ticket!
I get where you are coming from but since good luck is not endless and money only goes so far, my thoughts are this kind of great luck should never be wasted winning mere money.
Old 07-19-2014, 01:56 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skytop B View Post
And guys worry about an extra thou or two headspace
Laughing. I wonder what the brass looks like inside ahead of the case head?

-Billy Molls
Old 07-19-2014, 02:12 PM

You fire-formed case would make a dandy .408-06. Interesting!
Old 07-19-2014, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
different bullets of all calipers and all using the same lead.
Do you mean you were shooting cast lead bullets? or were you actually shooting regular jacketed lead core bullets?

If these were jacketed 7-08, were they loaded to full strength?

Pilots say "be thankful for luck, but don't depend on it".
Old 07-19-2014, 02:49 PM

Your lucky , thanks for sharing !
Old 07-19-2014, 03:03 PM

This surely does make for a fine reminder to remain vigilant and attentive at all times! Fortunately, I am always very careful with my equipment yet that can have a lulling effect causing one to become just a little too comfortable...

I am very glad you are safe and there was no real incident from this mistake. None the less, I do recommend having your T/C looked over by a Gunsmith prior to using it further.
Old 07-19-2014, 04:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by qwert View Post
Do you mean you were shooting cast lead bullets? or were you actually shooting regular jacketed lead core bullets?

If these were jacketed 7-08, were they loaded to full strength?

Pilots say "be thankful for luck, but don't depend on it".
I had 3 rifles out that day and they were all loaded with Barnes TTSX . Yes the 7-08 was loaded to the max with 140gr TTSX with 42gr of varget and WLR primer.

Old 07-19-2014, 05:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FishHunterPro View Post
I had 3 rifles out that day and they were all loaded with Barnes TTSX . Yes the 7-08 was loaded to the max with 140gr TTSX with 42gr of varget and WLR primer.
A cold chill went down my back just thinking about this.

I am happy there was no person injured. I concur with the advice to have the rifle checked carefully.

Good Luck, YMMV
Old 07-19-2014, 05:25 PM

Thats pretty impressive there was no leakage, good thing they were loaded hot.
Old 07-19-2014, 07:12 PM

Seen a kid shoot 30-30 shells out of an enfield once, was some funky looking brass
"I don't know about the "shooting Savages" part. I have one and I have had considerable difficulty doing well with it. Part of the reason for this is that I feel a need to put bag over my head to hide my identity when ever I am shooting it!"
Leeper
Old 07-19-2014, 07:23 PM

I sat next to a guy at our range who couldn't hardly hit his paper at 100 yrds with his .300 WM, cussing and swearing.....and then he figured out he was shooting 7mm Rem Mag out of it. Scared the crap out of me to be sitting next to him while he was doing that. He looked pale a bit after he figured it out.

Can happen to anyone if you don't check, double check, and re-check. Safety first people.

'You can accomplish a lot more with a kind word and a gun, than with a kind word alone.' Al Capone
Old 07-19-2014, 08:07 PM

i used to pack a 6mm rem and a 3006 at the same time while deer hunting... and so.. grabbed a 6mm round and hurriedly stuffed it into the 3006...it made a rattly sound and a ploofff sounds, deer trots off.
never did figure it out until a few days later when I inspected the brass and it looked much the same as the OP's, lots of questions bouncing around in my pumpkin, until i read the 6mm headstamp.

weatherby fans clik here....
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/group.php?groupid=31
Old 07-19-2014, 10:49 PM

Glad to hear your ok.
About a month ago my brother and I were at the range, we had all our ammo on the same bench and I pulled a box checked the grain was a 150 and loaded my magazine up.
Sat down then fired a round. it was a weird bang, and I did not hit the target which I thought was weird. I ejected the round and inspected it for any damage. needless to say it was a .270 and I was firing a 30-06. My heart stopped for a minute, I made my rifle safe stepped back from the bench and took a deep breath. I thought how much of a idiot I was for doing something so stupid.
I checked my rifle over told my brother what happened then separated all the ammo, even the .22 cal.
I then continued to fire with no noticeable issues

Lucky is all I can say. I am embarrassed by my actions, and always separate my ammo except this one day. Lesson learned ,no one hurt.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:09 PM

About ten years ago, I made a trip to the ER to deliver a shooter that fired a 308 in his 270. No fun holding a pipe bomb.
Old 07-19-2014, 11:37 PM

I vaguely recall reading that when they built the 7.62 x 51 (.308), one of the features was that it could be fired in a 30-06......NOT that I would recommend or try such a thing, but I believe that is what I read.
Hopefully someone can chime in and confirm this (or tell me that I was dreaming).
Old 07-20-2014, 07:31 AM

My Dad told me of a shooter who came in to buy 300wm ammo who routinely shot them out of a 300wby....because the Weatherby ammo was too expensive, the shooter had no idea they were a different cartridge....by no means do I recommend anyone try this at home!

LC
Old 07-20-2014, 08:13 AM

Location: At the end of the Thirsty Beaver Trail, Pinsky lake, Alberta.

Thanks for sharing....reload and shoot enough it could happen so we need to be careful...

Be careful when you follow the masses, sometimes the "M" is silent...
Old 07-20-2014, 12:36 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dean2 View Post
Lucky Duck!!! Good thing the 7-08 is so much shorter than the 270, it gave room for the gas to expand whilel pushing the .284 diameter bullet down the .270 diameter bore. You are lucky you didn't end up with a split barrel, or worse. A 308 will fit in there too and I would bet the result wouldn't be as harmless.

Glad you had no ill effects.
Actually it is .277 bore for the .270 W.
Glad to be reading about your experience and not about You and Your experience.
One Caliber at a time was on my bench ...
Tighter Groups,
Rob
Old 07-20-2014, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by .257Weatherby View Post
Actually it is .277 bore for the .270 W.
G
Rob
True, it is .277.

This post got me thinking and I have been re-reading PO Ackley's Volume II on all the testing they did on intentionally trying to blow up actions and barrels.

According to old PO Ackley, oversized bullets, even 35 caliber in a 270 barrel never caused a problem when they tested 270 cases loaded with 35 caliber bullets. That said, I personally would not advocate trying that personally.

According to his writings on page 30 of Volume II, way undersized brass that splits or does not seal off the chamber properly is far more likely to cause a big problem. One example he gives is the 35 Remington in a 30-06 completely destroyed a 30-06 Springfield action. The other is very overloaded rounds, like double charges of Unique when making plinker cast loads for rifles or accidentally using the same weigh of 3031 instead of 4350 that was intended when loading for a 270.

In the Ops case, he was lucky enough that the 7-08 case was the same head and web size as the 270 and thus sealed off the chamber very well so the slightly larger bullet swaged down quite easily and probably did no damage.

Certainly makes it clear why a fellow needs to pay very careful attention to what he is doing.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:21 PM

I think I'll go clean my reloading bench!!

Glad you're alright. Thanks for sharing.
Old 07-20-2014, 03:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
My Dad told me of a shooter who came in to buy 300wm ammo who routinely shot them out of a 300wby....because the Weatherby ammo was too expensive, the shooter had no idea they were a different cartridge....by no means do I recommend anyone try this at home!

LC
Probably not best for the gun, but not dangerous to your health. Worst I ever did was firing a 7mm Rem. out of my .338. Negligible recoil and the dog kept running. OP is lucky it wasn't a .308

Grizz
Old 07-20-2014, 09:13 PM

I know a shooter that shot a 25/284( or was it a 6.5/284) out of a 6/284 by mistake!!
Had the gun checked by a gunsmith, all was good.....
Cat