Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 07-17-2008, 01:27 PM

Smile Heading to Gull Lake this weekend. Any suggestions of what might be good to use out there?

Hey guys I've fished for walley and pike many times over the years. But it's been a while since I targeted them. I've never been to Gull Lake. I'm taking a special needs guy that lives with my wife and I. He's a great kid who loves to fish. Any suggestions as to what might be working right now for the walleye? I know the pike will eat anything that moves. So I'm not really worried about them.

Thanks in advance.
Rob
Old 07-17-2008, 03:35 PM

If your going for walleye youd be better suited heading to Sylvan lake. gull doesnt have a very good populaton of walleye. ive caught a few here and there but definatly 99 percent pike. for pike i like rattelin raps and good old len thompson spoons.
Old 07-17-2008, 03:38 PM
TundraBuck

Yup and flatfish. Gordoats nailed it if you want walleye head to Sylvan or Pine and find some structure, the walleye will be there.
Old 07-17-2008, 04:59 PM

I agree Gull is only good for pike in the summer. I would head to Sylvan and target walleye and use bright colored jig heads tipped with jumbo minnows, smelts, or Gulp Alive leeches or minnows. And if there are any pike around you will catch them as they love the jumbo minnows as well.
Old 07-18-2008, 01:23 AM

Smile

Thanks guys. I wondered if there were any walleye in there. I heard the lake is quite shallow. But as long as I can get Billy into some fish of any kind then he'll be quite happy. Sylvan isn't far to travel so I might go there. But if I'm going to be up in that area I think if I'm going to target Walleye I might just take a trip over to Pigeon Lake for the day.

Thanks again.
Rob
Old 07-18-2008, 12:37 PM
Chironomid

Rob, Pigeon may or may not be a good idea. I mean, of course you will catch fish, it's Pigeon...

But, it is usually crowded out there, and loud, and busy. If you go to Sylvan or Pine, it is not nearly as busy and guys stay away from you generally. You have a whole area to yourself. If you want, PM me and I can tell you of a few spots on Sylvan & Pine where we hammer the walleye.
Old 07-21-2008, 02:02 AM

Trip to Gull went OK. Only caught one fish though and it wasn't a pike. Got a walleye about 3 - 4 pounds. 22" long and 13.5" girth. It was a fat one. I took a few pictures and tossed it back. I'd show the pictures. But my camera is packed up still. That will have to wait until tomorrow.

I didn't even get one pike which suprised me a lot. I would have thought I'd have caught a few pike at least. I used jigs, spinners, jigs with spinners, Rapalas and even tried the trusty Len Thompson red and white and a 5 of diamonds.

Cirtainly caught my share of weeds. Man that lake is shallow and weedy. I was staying near Paulson's on the NW end and from the hydrographic map I had it showed that the lake was 7 meters (Aprox. 21feet) deep in the deepest spot. I headed south and found 16 feet and that was the best I could do. I caught the walleye in 10 feet.

Next time I'll take everyone's advice and head to Sylvan or elesewhere.

Rob
Old 07-21-2008, 04:23 PM

I hear you about the weed's. My parents live by the golf course and I fish that lake allot. I find bass style lures such as j-mac jigs with skirts work well on that lake for pike. trolling has never worked well for me, always fouling the hook..
Ice fishing however is a whole other story.....