Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-16-2008, 03:08 PM

Default Sako vs Tikka

What makes a Sako hundreds of dollars more than a Tikka? Is the extra money worth it?
I've only had one gun (30.06 Husqvarna), but thinking of getting another.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:43 PM

I think it's worth it.
Old 12-16-2008, 03:58 PM

If you go handle a Sako and shoot one you will understand why it costs that much....worth it 100%
Old 12-16-2008, 04:07 PM

from what i read, tikka uses plastic in some places where sako uses metal.
So that makes sako more of a lifelong rifle.
But I also heard when Beretta bought out sako, the quality went downhill. There are some reports of the barrel exploding on some newer models.

Keep in mind though, this is only internet research.

I too was looking at getting a sako but think im going to look elsewhere.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:26 PM
Banned

Sako 75/85 uses metal for the bottom, magazine, trigger guard, and bolt shrowd. They get at least one extra round in their magazines and they are flush to the bottom of gun. They cycle like greased minnows (as does the tikkas)...if you were blind folded and had hearing protection on you'd have a hard time telling if you were cycling air or an actual cartridge....greasy minnow slick!

The Tikka t3 uses lots of plastic. I just got a sako a7 stainless in my hands and the difference in price is in between the Tikka t3 and sako 85 and imo its worth it. It still has plastic magazine but now with steel feed lips. It still has bottom plastic & trigger guard, but stainless hangs down in front of and behind the magazine now, the magazine release in front of the magazine is stainless now, the back of the magazine now latches into stainless. The sling studs are stainless, as is the action screws now (torx instead of flat tip), the sling attachments that came with are stainless also, the front sling stud goes up into metal fitting so will not pull out or require a repair like the tikka's have had happen....tikka puts a nut on them to fix them if they brake and you send it in....so bipod guys will be happier with the sako A7.

The stock is nicer, seems stiffer, the checkering is more sharp and defined, feels better/grippier, front of stock seems slimmer. Action seems like maybe bit shorter bolt throw? Cycles same as Tikka except when lifting bolt on decocked gun....its stiffer on the A7. Comes with a tool for the back of the bolt that fits over it and you can re-cock the bolt i suppose? Maybe take it apart? I haven't read the instruction book yet.

The new magazine latch system on the A7 requires you to push up at the front a bit before you can trip the magazine release....keep you from losing one in the bush forsure although i have zero problem trusting my Tikka....just another nice little upgrade. I believe this is standard on the Sako 85's also.

Don't forget this other little upgrade on the A7, a button in front of the safety that allows you to empty the gun while the safety is on.

Overall i really dig the sako a7, its apart in front of me right now getting the full inspection as i know my tikka so well.

I can say the A7 is worth the extra over the Tikka if a guy can afford it. And i would say the sako 85 is worth the extra over the A7 if a guy can afford it. But for the guy on a budget that resembles the Tikka its still one helluva gun imo...just gets nicer/higher quality as you move up the ladder is all.

My two cents. Good luck with your choice. They all will shoot with each other in the accuracy dept. i'm pretty sure.

SC

Last edited by Stinky Coyote; 12-16-2008 at 04:52 PM.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:36 PM
Banned

I've got the Sako Hunter 75, and every time I pick it up, I'm reminded of why I bucked up and spent the extra $$$. It's a beautiful gun and like Mr. Coyote says, the action and build quality are second to none.

Chances are you're going to have it and enjoy it for a LONG time, so spread the cost over that time, and you'll never regret spending the extra now.

Waxy
Old 12-16-2008, 04:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post
But I also heard when Beretta bought out sako, the quality went downhill. There are some reports of the barrel exploding on some newer models.

The barrel issue is old news and was dealt with along time ago...I am not sure the quality went down, if so it still is way above any other rifle put out by a large scale manufacture.
Old 12-16-2008, 04:53 PM

Default Barrels

Quote:
Originally Posted by Map Maker View Post

Been old news. A batch of bad steel along with a few barrels and receivers splitting. Good thing no one hurt. Sako / Tikka recalled any rifles that were sold within the production dates back in 2004 and either replaced the barrels or gave new rifles. My two Tikka T3 LS models were after the fact in 2004.

IMO you handle a Sako m75 then handle a Remington/Browning/ Winchetser....there is no comparison. If you want to save a few $$, buy the Tikka T3, and as mentioned spend a bit more then try a Sako A7. If $$ no problem go with the Sako m75 or the m85. Like I mentioned earlier, I prefer the model 75 stock over the m85.
Old 12-16-2008, 05:10 PM

i have shot a Sako in 30-06 and it was an outstanding rifle. i wish i had the money to buy my own. Go with the Sako
Old 12-16-2008, 05:21 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ice Fishing Maniac View Post
...I prefer the model 75 stock over the m85.
I have a McMillian Edge in the Sako Hunter on order for my Sako 85 30-06

Should be here in 7 months
Old 12-16-2008, 05:31 PM

i bought the tikka laminate stainless in 300 win. its a great gun . but there are some throw backs. i HATE the magazine on it , absolute garbage. and on the rear end of the bolt theres this plasic piece of crap that rotates when the bolt is thrown up. first time i took it to the range it got locked up . me and this fish cop almost destroyed the thing trying to get it back in.

its really a great shooting gun though. very light, looks good. id spend the money and get the sako.
Old 12-16-2008, 07:56 PM

I wouldn't think twice about buying another tikka.I own and shoot one an awfull lot and have never had a problem with it.It's a 300 win mag and is one accurate shooting rifle!Sure it's not the prettiest gun on the market and ya some pieces are made of plastic, so what.Are you out there to look pretty or shoot straight?

I do not abuse my rifles but do not baby them either.That said Ive never had a problem with any plastics breaking including -30 c hunting.The pricetag on the tikka turns my crank.A hell of a gun for the moneyIMO.
Old 12-16-2008, 08:05 PM

I just ordered a grey wolf in 338 win mag....... I hope I made the right choice.... I will put a Leupold 4.5-14 x 50 B&C on top,
Old 12-16-2008, 08:24 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bradh View Post
I just ordered a grey wolf in 338 win mag....... I hope I made the right choice.... I will put a Leupold 4.5-14 x 50 B&C on top,
You won't be disappointed with it...Sako's are awesome
Old 12-16-2008, 08:27 PM

Tikkas tend to be good shooters but the quality is not there. They feel like a plastic toy, the action is stiff, and there are ongoing issues with mechanical failure and broken parts. Most buyers are focussed on the price and light weight.

Get a Sako 85 or the older 75 in your hands and you will quickly recognize the difference without even firing a shot. The action is silky, smooth, and they shoot very well. My only complaint is the flimsy, flexible stocks used on the Finlights and Stainless models.
Old 12-16-2008, 09:01 PM

As posted from another site:

"Sako and Tikka are made in the same factory now in Riiminki, Finland. The barrels are identical. The actions and bolts are different.....sako's are machined while tikka has stamped and in some applications, plastic components. I've owned and collected sakos since 1976 when stationed in Germany. They are sensational out of the box rifles. The newest one I own is a tikka whitetail hunter deluxe in 7mag...it shoots as good as my older ones it just doesn't have the attention to detail the sakos have. Lets face it, the barrel is where the rubber meets the road. For the money, I consider these rifles to be totally outstanding. You just can't find more rifle for the money IMHO. That's my 2 cents. Regards, Rick."

...and I just bought a Tikka T3 Deluxe in .270 WSM for my wife. I put a Zeiss 3.5x10 by 44 mm scope on it with a Rapid Z 600 recticle. I think it shoots very well out of the box after sighting it in at 200 yrds with Federal Premium ammunition. After initial sight in my groups were 3-4 inches at 200 yrds. I think its a very nice gun, and prefer the wood finish over the plastic synthetic. Was on sale at SIR for 849.95 & came with a Sako case.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:01 PM

Thanks for all the info/points of view. Now I just need to convince the wife that the family really needs to make this investment.
Old 12-16-2008, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by goldscud View Post
Thanks for all the info/points of view. Now I just need to convince the wife that the family really needs to make this investment.
Its easier to ask forgiveness than for permission....Sako's are worth it
Old 12-17-2008, 01:34 PM

Default Sako / Tikka

Quote:
Originally Posted by raised by wolves View Post
Tikkas tend to be good shooters but the quality is not there. They feel like a plastic toy, the action is stiff, and there are ongoing issues with mechanical failure and broken parts. Most buyers are focussed on the price and light weight.

Get a Sako 85 or the older 75 in your hands and you will quickly recognize the difference without even firing a shot. The action is silky, smooth, and they shoot very well. My only complaint is the flimsy, flexible stocks used on the Finlights and Stainless models.

Dont buy the synthetic model if you dont like the plastic, thats why I bought my T3's in the laminate stainless. I waited the extra year for the LS models to come out. Preferred the Sako Greywolf but they were not going to be out till late 2004 or early 2005. Thats why when I reccomend Tikka T3..I say go for the LS model, but if you can find a used Sako m75 ss or Greywolf - go with that. My T3's LS are great shooters (both 270WSM's). I do not care for the plastic clip either, but its functional. No problems ever with my bolt or performance of my rifles. Slicky smooth action. If you remove the bolt and turn it...it locks up like its in the action and you either need to have the tool like Sako gives to dismantle the bolt for cleaning or be very strong in turning it back over so you can slide it back into the receiver.

As for Sako m75 stocks for the Synthetic models, there is no comparison to the Tikka sythetics. Had my Sako m75ss 300WM for ten years now along with a buddy that bought one at the same time (who was going to get a Browning SS-and sure glad he never did)

bradh, here are pics of my 2 Sako m7 Greywolfs - 300WSM with 4.5-14x40 VX3 Leupold in gunmetal grey with Sako Opilok rings & bases, the other is my custom in 338-06AI with Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40 in gunmetal grey with new style Sako Optilok rings with a new #5 PacNor barrel, fluted and barrel and other components powder coated to match the scope. You will not be dissapointed with your new rifle.

Old 12-17-2008, 01:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by harv3589 View Post
If you go handle a Sako and shoot one you will understand why it costs that much....worth it 100%
x2

Buddy has a Tikka 300 win. He told me after target practice his shoulder feels like jello. I personally don't like the plastic clip that Tikka has to offer. I settled on the Sako 300 win mag, I love it, plus the first time I shot it, I put a box throug it to site in my scope. I held it expecting on one heck a kick but to my surprise there is no kick to it at all. If you can afford it go with the Sako...
Old 12-17-2008, 02:35 PM

If I could afford it I would of got a sako but mainly for fit and finish. if you just want a rifle that shoots good groups I would get a tikka and spend more on glass.

How much do you want to spend

1200.00 on scope and glass I would get a tikka
1800.00 and under I would get a sako A7
over that I would get any sako

I think every step up is worth it just depends on how much you can afford.
that is why I shoot a tikka right now. but I love it.

Brad
Old 12-20-2008, 12:00 AM

Yes "S" does come before "T" for a reason. Spend the extra money the first time. Have had both in a 300wm and the "S" had less recoil, much better gun off the shelf.

By the way, I sold the "T" to buy a nice "Z" for the "S"
Old 12-20-2008, 10:35 AM

My .300 T3 Deluxe is a treat to shoot and deadly accurate. Of the 3 Tikkas in the house they all seem to share one characteristic - uncanny accuracy with almost any decent ammo. The nicest of them, an M658 Premier grade, is heavy - the sporter version of their long range BR rifles, and as smooth as silk. As fine as any Sako ever built. No plastic here. No complaints about the polymer clips in the T3's - they're tough as nails - and the guns simply shoot well. Great triggers. If recoil were ever an issue they'd wear Limbsavers or Decelerators in a heartbeat, but it isn't needed. They're called Lite for a reason. My Deluxe is 6 lbs 7 ozs bare - I love it. For $800 the best rifle for the money there is.
Old 12-20-2008, 12:56 PM
Banned

Does anybody out there shoot a T-3 Stainless 243 win?
Old 12-20-2008, 04:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
Not me, but we have a T3 stainless/laminate in .308. Very little recoil, deadly accurate and damned good looking, too.
Old 12-20-2008, 11:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by noneck180 View Post
I picked one up about a month ago out in GP
A camoed, 243 Tikka T3 light with stainless barell. Very smooth.
Factory stuff has been good so far. Can't wait to roll my own and do some load testing.

Aim Small Miss Small

Last edited by gube; 12-21-2008 at 12:02 AM.