Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 12-08-2016, 06:33 AM

Default what job to do for a retiree/stay at home dad

so basically I'm spent 12 years in the military and got out, military was retraining me as an electrician but due to personal reasons I took time off from that job. essentially now I'm a stay at home dad (tell people I'm retired as I get a pension from the military). my son is autistic so basically I spend mornings working with him on talking and doing stuff that is fun for him. afternoons he's in school so I basically have that time to do house work and go shoot my bow. but with him in full time school next year I'm gonna have to find something to bring some extra money in to help out around the house (we get by right now but id prefer a higher level of comfort). my wife is a big fancy shmancy lawyer downtown who works pretty savage hours so that leaves me to get my son on and off the bus and do most of the stuff around the house. like I said I don't really have to work but would like to bring in some money to supplement my wifes income. I don't think the construction thing will work with working shortened hours and due to some other reasons. that said outside of working at rona or somewhere retail where else should I be thinking about looking for a job. worst comes to worst I guess I could always cut lawns or shovel driveways. a home based business would be ideal I guess but I have no clue where to start with that.

thanks
Old 12-08-2016, 07:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brohymn2 View Post
so basically I'm spent 12 years in the military and got out, military was retraining me as an electrician but due to personal reasons I took time off from that job. essentially now I'm a stay at home dad (tell people I'm retired as I get a pension from the military). my son is autistic so basically I spend mornings working with him on talking and doing stuff that is fun for him. afternoons he's in school so I basically have that time to do house work and go shoot my bow. but with him in full time school next year I'm gonna have to find something to bring some extra money in to help out around the house (we get by right now but id prefer a higher level of comfort). my wife is a big fancy shmancy lawyer downtown who works pretty savage hours so that leaves me to get my son on and off the bus and do most of the stuff around the house. like I said I don't really have to work but would like to bring in some money to supplement my wifes income. I don't think the construction thing will work with working shortened hours and due to some other reasons. that said outside of working at rona or somewhere retail where else should I be thinking about looking for a job. worst comes to worst I guess I could always cut lawns or shovel driveways. a home based business would be ideal I guess but I have no clue where to start with that.

thanks
I would start with what you like to do and/or what you are good at (often the same thing). See if you can turn that into money from home. A great inspiration I find is Dragon's Den. Not because of the specific ideas but they present many different industries and ideas. That might rigger something for you.
Another approach that I think works well is to think about what's hard to get or a pain for you personally. There are many people out there that have the same problem. Can you fix it? Offer something that helps? Turn it into a service or product.
It might take a while (it did for me) and can be frustrating but you will know when you find it.

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 12-08-2016, 07:04 AM

Quote:

thanks
Drive a school bus
Old 12-08-2016, 07:06 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Drive a school bus
Was thinking about that

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 12-08-2016, 07:07 AM

Smile You have lots of options

Depending on your education there are lots of options. You can do accounting for small businesses, become a distance learning teach, or if you need more education, this is a good time to get that too.

Look upon this as an opportunity because that is what it is.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:08 AM
Banned

Start a delivery company / messenger service.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by josey View Post
I would start with what you like to do and/or what you are good at (often the same thing). See if you can turn that into money from home. A great inspiration I find is Dragon's Den. Not because of the specific ideas but they present many different industries and ideas. That might rigger something for you.
Another approach that I think works well is to think about what's hard to get or a pain for you personally. There are many people out there that have the same problem. Can you fix it? Offer something that helps? Turn it into a service or product.
It might take a while (it did for me) and can be frustrating but you will know when you find it.
Do have an idea with the like to do and are good at thing but I don't know if I can do it feasible for at least a few years.

Old 12-08-2016, 07:10 AM

Well on kijiji they do post weather or not the place is veteran friendly so that could be a help. Just remember the world needs ditch diggers and theres no shame in being one. Becuase its suplimentry you can go and try to make something new out of you home. Could be an online business it depends on your skills and marketing abilitly. Or you could look for part time work and as you seem to be a hunter why not look for an outdoors store not only would you make money you would probably get a discount on things you would already buy.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:11 AM

If my wife was a lawyer downtown I'd be looking at staying at home and making sure my kid got everything he needed in the way of support.

How much money does a person need and really, how would a few extra dollars added to what a lawyer makes really make that much of a difference in your families life?

Just my .02 cent worth. Get what you pay for.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:14 AM

Quote:
Do have an idea with the like to do and are good at thing but I don't know if I can do it feasible for at least a few years.

Start small, start slow. You said you don't need to work for the money. Perfect time to try something like this :-)

"If life is tough, it's time to get stronger!" - Joel Runyon (reminder to myself)
Old 12-08-2016, 07:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
If my wife was a lawyer downtown I'd be looking at staying at home and making sure my kid got everything he needed in the way of support.

How much money does a person need and really, how would a few extra dollars added to what a lawyer makes really make that much of a difference in your families life?

Just my .02 cent worth. Get what you pay for.
ya ill be doing that, just need something for when hes in school full time
Old 12-08-2016, 07:20 AM

Do what all the other stay at home moms do, work for some MLM type company where you sell crap to each other and you really only cost your spouse money but think your actually working.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:24 AM
Banned

Evenings and weekends st Cabelas.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:26 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kurt505 View Post
Evenings and weekends st Cabelas.
wife works those already for most part, basically it needs to be during school hours
Old 12-08-2016, 07:31 AM

If you have any building skills, buy a few tools and build furniture, cabinates or other things from wood. Chain saw carving. All doable from home.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 12-08-2016, 07:34 AM

What ever you do you will have to make sure that the job does not tie you down to extra hours that will impact the scheduled time with your son (after school). So with this as the limiting factor and your past skills:

Inside sales rep for electrical parts distribution

Start a home based reno business for minor projects (could be a headache)

Look to installation on security systems --- perhaps even having your own small business

We use contract electricians for security and fire - piece work. Find places like that and have your own truck to bill out on a unit rate.

As others have said great time to re-tool and look at other things that you would like to do.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:14 AM

Default Are you handy?

Be a handyman!

My husband is always too busy to do simple things around the house. They are things that are a little out of my abilities or I just don't want to do them (like climb a ladder because I don't like heights)

I can't be the only woman with a hubby like mine!!!
Old 12-08-2016, 08:20 AM

You mentioned construction and some electrical experience, look at home inspections for reality sales. Limit yourself to 1 house a day (about 4 hours) and it should fit your schedule.
Old 12-08-2016, 08:23 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by brendan's dad View Post
You mentioned construction and some electrical experience, look at home inspections for reality sales. Limit yourself to 1 house a day (about 4 hours) and it should fit your schedule.
that's a good idea ill look into it
Old 12-08-2016, 09:14 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Positrac View Post
He is. But he said next year his child will be in school all day.

Perhaps you want to think about gong to college or university and start training towards a career you want. You could just take classes scheduled while your son is in school, etc. You don't sound that old so have a lifetime ahead of you. Perhaps you want to fill it with more than part-time lower pay jobs long term. Perhaps you can train for a career that would offer flexibility or self-employment. Heck, massage therapy you can do mid-days and evenings.

One other option, maybe you and your wife both share the responsibility. Law firm jobs can be brutal in terms of hours. Many people get out and work corporate law for reasonable hours. Our company is pretty flexible in terms of hours or days worked. Some lawyers here work modified hours or part-time and still make a good wage.

Anyway, I commend you for putting your son first.
Old 12-08-2016, 09:49 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
He is. But he said next year his child will be in school all day.

Perhaps you want to think about gong to college or university and start training towards a career you want. You could just take classes scheduled while your son is in school, etc. You don't sound that old so have a lifetime ahead of you. Perhaps you want to fill it with more than part-time lower pay jobs long term. Perhaps you can train for a career that would offer flexibility or self-employment. Heck, massage therapy you can do mid-days and evenings.

One other option, maybe you and your wife both share the responsibility. Law firm jobs can be brutal in terms of hours. Many people get out and work corporate law for reasonable hours. Our company is pretty flexible in terms of hours or days worked. Some lawyers here work modified hours or part-time and still make a good wage.

Anyway, I commend you for putting your son first.
your right I'm not that old, I'm only 31 lol. was thinking of going back to school but its hard to fins classes that I would lead to a career I would enjoy, maybe some business classes. we have talked a bit about her doing that but at the end of the day she is a civil litigator and does the job extremely and enjoys her work, that said I'm comfortable in doing most of the work with my son anyways as I find it really rewarding.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:01 PM

There you go, my wife is a special needs teacher, works same hours as schools in. Sounds like you may enjoy helping other kids with the same needs as your son. And there is a high demand for people like her. (you)
Old 12-08-2016, 01:20 PM

Work for an Airline. Awesome benefits!! And depending on what you do, a potentially flexible schedule which allows travel or participate in the outdoor activity of your choice! 👍👍

P

-Confucius
Old 12-08-2016, 01:35 PM

Keep in mind that if she is claiming you as a dependent, then your working part time could actually cost you more money than you make by loosing you as a dependent. This was the case with my wife when she started waitressing part time.
Old 12-08-2016, 01:44 PM

My wife just finished her, immigration consultant degree, it's an online course, now she can legally help anybody immigrating to Canada, case by case, it's a very good qualification to have in these times, you can do it from home, it's a 6-8 month coarse, you might have the time by then, when you child is in full time school
Old 12-08-2016, 02:00 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kevinhits View Post
Drive a school bus
My father-in-law is retired on a pension and does this. He says it really cuts into your day by taking up time in the morning, wait a few hours, then a few hours in the late afternoon. He says he'd rather do a morning shift and then go spend his day doing other things later without worrying about being late for the afternoon shift.

Just a thought.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:05 PM

got any hobbies or something you enjoy and skilled at doing ?? start from there and then try to make money from it. bottom line, your son is your #1 priority so the second best thing would be doing something you enjoy and good at .

some people cant change tires or do a oil change.... or install a remote starter etc...
Old 12-08-2016, 02:21 PM
Banned

Been there. I retired from the Military at age 44 with no prospects for a real job and no real need to get one. I will tell you this, you will have the best boss ever if you work for yourself.

The first two years after I retired I became a professional scrounger. I'd buy things that I knew that I could flip for a profit, salvage batteries to sell as scrap, basically anything that generated a profit. After awhile I realized numerous opportunities from niches that needed to be filled and I started a deck building business during the summer. That morphed into a landscape/sod laying business. I found the winters long so I took up trapping during the winter which also grew when I got a fur buyers license to buy other people's coyotes and building and selling traps.

You are in the drivers seat financially and you can be as busy or as slow as you like. Look for a niche that needs to be filled. Some of the things that I have done or considered doing are snow removal from driveways (people love coming home from work to a clean driveway) or vehicle detailing if you have a heated garage.....things like that. Taxidermy would be a great stay at home job IMO. Nothing beats setting your own hours and only taking on as much work as you want to take on.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:33 PM

Teachers Aide: They are worth their weight in gold, but hard to find. Especially male ones.

Come to think of it, I have never seen a male teachers aide, in the 11 years I have been teaching.

Pay is okay, hours would work for you. It is not an easy job, but can be very rewarding.

You may even be able to work at the school where your son goes.

good luck in your search.
Old 12-08-2016, 02:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by fishtank View Post
got any hobbies or something you enjoy and skilled at doing ?? start from there and then try to make money from it. bottom line, your son is your #1 priority so the second best thing would be doing something you enjoy and good at .

some people cant change tires or do a oil change.... or install a remote starter etc...
Thanks dave, good to hear another vets take on this, I'm definitely leaning towards running my own show.
Quote:
Originally Posted by HunterDave View Post
Been there. I retired from the Military at age 44 with no prospects for a real job and no real need to get one. I will tell you this, you will have the best boss ever if you work for yourself.

The first two years after I retired I became a professional scrounger. I'd buy things that I knew that I could flip for a profit, salvage batteries to sell as scrap, basically anything that generated a profit. After awhile I realized numerous opportunities from niches that needed to be filled and I started a deck building business during the summer. That morphed into a landscape/sod laying business. I found the winters long so I took up trapping during the winter which also grew when I got a fur buyers license to buy other people's coyotes and building and selling traps.

You are in the drivers seat financially and you can be as busy or as slow as you like. Look for a niche that needs to be filled. Some of the things that I have done or considered doing are snow removal from driveways (people love coming home from work to a clean driveway) or vehicle detailing if you have a heated garage.....things like that. Taxidermy would be a great stay at home job IMO. Nothing beats setting your own hours and only taking on as much work as you want to take on.