Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-05-2009, 11:41 PM
gitrdun

I'm a big believer in frontal energy damage. Thus, I belive in big bore rifles at slower velocity. The problem is of course, delivering this impact energy at long distance. Thus the .444 marlin is an absolute drop 'em dead where they stand within 200 yds. For big frontal energy delivered at longer range, then the .338 bullets will do the trick.
Old 11-06-2009, 09:42 AM

I've shot 2 deer with the 325wsm. Two different rifles. One with a 220 grain (Cappy's M70) and another with 180 grain (Win M70 Coyote). Both deer died.

Recoil was not bad in both rifles. Ammo is actually easy to find in factory configs but very expensive. I'm in process of collecting brass to reload for it. IMO, good caliber.
Old 11-06-2009, 05:41 PM

gitrdun knows where its at. Big and slow and it'll pack on the hurt. One of my buddies has been winding down in his hunting career, he's got some beauties a 378 wthby and a 340 wthby, and now he has changed over to the 45-70 and has found it kills much quicker than the first two. The last elk he took with it ended up flipping onto its back after the shot, dead johnny on the spot, the two before that where less than 10 yards from where it was shot, it was shot, stumble and drop.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:04 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
gitrdun knows where its at. Big and slow and it'll pack on the hurt. One of my buddies has been winding down in his hunting career, he's got some beauties a 378 wthby and a 340 wthby, and now he has changed over to the 45-70 and has found it kills much quicker than the first two. The last elk he took with it ended up flipping onto its back after the shot, dead johnny on the spot, the two before that where less than 10 yards from where it was shot, it was shot, stumble and drop.
While the 45/70 is a wonderful cartridge I wouldn't call it the end all be all in killing because it shoots a fat bullet. That kind of thinking has been disproven many times since Taylor died.
Old 11-06-2009, 07:39 PM

Quote:
Yeah my 338 3006 and 708 and 2506 are all slow killers.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 11-06-2009, 10:13 PM

Honda you've noticed the same thing. Good to hear there are others with small calibers that don't work as well.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:23 PM

Quote:
Honda you've noticed the same thing. Good to hear there are others with small calibers that don't work as well.
Dang Traps they ain't calibers.

Mostly them cartrages are only good for gophers.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 11-06-2009, 10:32 PM

Some would even go so far as to say mice.
Old 11-06-2009, 10:56 PM

Quote:
Some would even go so far as to say mice.
Good messin with ya Traps. Ya I know ya been looking at them 708's. Good nite bud.

thegungirl.ca @gmail.com
Old 11-08-2009, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheep nut View Post
I shot my Dall sheep this year with my guides browning 325 wsm. My gun (and me) took a bad spill. The 325 wsm flattened that ram! I wish Sako would make one. Does anyone think they will soon? Let me know if you think it's worth buying.
I can't speak for Sako, but I just purchased a 325 WSM in a Browning X-Bolt, the sythentic SS Stalker. Light rifle (~6.5#), topped it with a Leupold VX3 3.5-10x40. I don't think the entire package breaks 7# by very much.

I'll be taking it on its first hunt in a couple of weeks...

I had read several postings concerning recoil with the WSM calibers in the light rilfes (like the Stalker). However, after spending some time punching paper with it (and with my BDL 270 Win as a direct comparison), I did not find this round to be a heavy recoiler at all. It does give more of a push than my 270, but not a significant amount more. I realize recoil sensitivity is a very individual thing (and I've also read that my configuration of caliber/rifle should recoil almost as much as a 375 HH). I won't argue the math, but I can only assume those dis'ing this cartridge/rifle on recoil haven't actually fired one. Either that or they should stick to rimfires ;-) .

Accuracy was (to me) exceptional - .750 groups with Nosler Custom 200 gr AB. Even with that, most of the group size can be attributed to me rather than the rifle. In a machine rest it would probably be one ragged hole.
Old 11-08-2009, 09:30 PM

Thumbs up 325wsm

Well...

When I was trying to decide what to buy for hunting moose, I chose a caliber that seemed to promise that a well placed shot would take it down quickly. But one I could handle without my needing all kinds of recoil protective accessories.. (I hate muzzle brakes).

People seem to want to compare the 325 caliber with a lot of others; does it hit as heavy as a.......? is it as accurate as a........? This caliber is a great choice. No need for all the comparisons.. if you have already got a .338, youve got it covered for heavier game at longer ranges. If you don't, this caliber is definitely worth considering.

My take so far.. I've been loading for my 325 BLR since I got it in the spring. Testing with several diffferent bullets... (Nosler 200 Accubonds and 200 Partitions, Sierra 220 Boattails, and some Nosler 180 BTs.) several different powders... (4350, 4831, 7828) all at a variety of powder charges.

I'm left with some conclusions...

1. The recoil... is not bad at all. I've had a couple of days where I fired 3 x 24 shot bullet test groups, and I DO think around 60 in a day should be about max. (as well as 60 or 80 SKS shots in between while the 325's barrel cools But it has never left me with a bruise like my brother's 45/70 has. And it does not seem to have the recoil of a .338. If I had to make a comparison, I'd say it DOES hit harder than a 30-06 but not a lot.

2. This gun (my BLR) is VERY sensitive to what it likes for bullets. It is very accurate with 220s in a wide range of powder charges, so far especially with 4831 and 7828. It has a narrower (but workable) range of powder charges it likes with 200s, but in that range it is also very accurate with some mixes. And.. so far.. it hates everything I do with 180s. All powders, all COLs, all powder charges.... it just sprays them all over. It also does not like factory loaded 180 Ballistic Silver tips.. not all of them even cut paper! But it is extremely accurate with the much cheaper 220 power points.

So... Yes.. the gun is accurate.. you just have to know what to feed it. And no, the 'kick' is not too bad at all. And yes.. I got this gun to hunt moose with, and no, I do not regret not buying a 338, 375, 416 or bigger.

P&D has plenty of 8mm bullets and every time I go in, they have lots of 325 brass. So far, not an issue, but I have accumulated a bunch now, and will buy more if the caliber seems to be faltering in popularity.

Just my take. But I won't be selling mine.

-Frank
Old 11-09-2009, 12:03 PM

I'm snooping for another rifle, I don't have a .300 or a .338, I think the .325 is a good choice for a elk/moose/bear gun. if you don't have anything 30 cal mag. or more, it's inbetween the 2, should have "best of both".

I shot a 7 mag and don't need anything else - but want is totally different!

If remington will chamber it to one of their newer rifles, I'll be buyin'

Last edited by TUFFBUFF; 11-09-2009 at 12:06 PM. Reason: sp
Old 11-13-2009, 01:41 PM

Got another big doe the other day with my .325wsm. I'm really starting to like this for an all rounder. Even with 180 grain BST, it just punches right through with no meat damage. I don't think it even opened up. Shot was about 150yards, knocked her over, she got back up walked about 10 yards then dropped. Damage was considerable inside, but again, no meat damage.

For me, I intend to use this rifle for everything from deer on up.
Old 11-13-2009, 01:54 PM

Quote:
I like the gap it fills between a 300 and a 338.
yeah, that 13/1000 of an inch step-down from the .338 should really help... for the game the .338 totally shreds and the .300 just can't kill.

just yankin' yer chain man.
Old 11-26-2009, 11:32 AM

Smile

Quote:
Originally Posted by The Durb View Post
I own a 30-06, a 270, and a new 325. I shoot custom loads of Accubond 200 grains and I am very satisfied. i recently proved to a fireend just what kind of damage it could do by shooting throug a 10" thick fir tree, and the bullet was a perfect mushroom. I shoot just under 3000' per second, sighted in at 1 1/2' high at 100 yards, using a leupold 4.5x14 scope with compensator. I have shot it many times while dialing in what powder nad grains of powder to use. It is not s hard kicking gun. It shoots no harder then my 30-06. Those who can not handle it can use a limb saver pad and it will protect those who cannot handle the recoil. Of course my belief is...if you can not handle the recoil, why are you shooting big game. I have complete faith of my 325 hitting what I want at 400 plus yards, so a moose at 100 yards is dinner. Bullet placement is always the key, and thats why serious hunters like you are doing your home work. I did mine, and I am very happy. One heads up I will warn those of you who are thinking of buying one, is that Browning has been known to sel some with faulty barrels. My first was faulty, my replacement was great. the difference was the good barrel was made in Japan, the faulty one was from the USA. Look to see which one you have. browning gave me over $400 in Browning grear for my wasted money in sighting in ammo neede to prove the barrel was faulty, only after I threatened to go to the attorney general of my state. I would still buy one though.
Hey Durb,
Are your velocities [Just under 3000 fps] chronied, or estimated? What powder are you using?
Thanks
Old 01-08-2010, 09:26 AM

I realize that this is a one year old post on the 325, but did enjoy the info shared by the "boys with blasting toys". I was set to buy one last winter and went to Edmonton, Red Deer and Calgary and couldn't find anything in a left hand bolt. So I picked up a Savage, stainless / composite stock, with the drop down floor plate bullet release. It's a decent shooter with federal 180 soft points. Unfortunately I did end up seeing a 325 Savage in Left hand some months later. Oh yea, I've always found Browning rifles seems to lean towards a lighter production rifle then some of the other gun companies, but most that I've shot have been decent enough to be considered something I'd take in the field. One of the posters here mentioned that the 180 grainers didn't shoot well in his 325 BLR. I seen the same problem with a 300 WM Savage bolt action that really liked 200 grainers and shot them like a dream. So sometimes bullet weight itself makes a real big difference, and powder charges, primers etc can narrow add some decent accuracy too.
Old 01-08-2010, 10:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Okotokian View Post
yeah, that 13/1000 of an inch step-down from the .338 should really help... for the game the .338 totally shreds and the .300 just can't kill.

just yankin' yer chain man.
Not sure of the ...."gap"....it fills. I've shot a Sako 338 for a ton of years on bears and moose. Do I need it for that? No, but I have one, so I use it and I do love it. I've looked at the 325 and wondered.....why? Any of the big 30's are more than adequate for just about anything and if you need bigger, to me the next logical step would be the 338, but I guess if you don't have either, then perhaps the 325 would fit in. Personally, if I were to go 8mm, I'd go with 8 Rem mag, but then again, I am a little different. Hmmm :I should look for a 8 Rem....havn't been beat-up by a rifle for a while.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:19 PM

The only problem I have found with Remington's big 8 is its hard to get ammo or brass.
Old 01-08-2010, 01:29 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Desert Eagle View Post
The only problem I have found with Remington's big 8 is its hard to get ammo or brass.
I've got a bunch (and no it's not for sale). all of my 7 STW brass was made from 8 Rem (back in the day), and as usual I went a little overboard with my accumulation of brass. Sorta like my 264, I probably have 400 rds of brass for it, when 200 would be more than adequate, especially considering how much it goes out these days.
Old 02-12-2010, 07:30 PM

I own and hunt with my browning a-bolt 325wsm and love it,but i'm trading in my trusty a-bolt for the x-bolt 325wsm. awsome cal. can't wait to shoot the x-bolt .
Old 02-13-2010, 07:17 AM

Quote:
Let me know if you think it's worth owning?
I own one, love it, shoot deer,moose, bear using factory 220 gr. knocked them down hard. minimum meat damage, not bad recoil. all my other guns are feeling rejected after I bought the 325.
Old 10-27-2010, 10:45 AM

My only beef with the short magnums is the Delta L problem. Other than that i can always find an excuse for another rifle but i just don't like short cartridges or short actions unless it is for gophers only. but then again i have 2 rifles that always go in the field for big game..Browning A bolt 7 mag for gophers to deer and the 338 edge for everything bigger. i did shoot a white tail with the edge but it destroyed half the deer so i wont be doing that again. the other 30 rifles are for playing

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Delta_L_problem

Last edited by The Rifleman; 10-27-2010 at 10:58 AM.
Old 05-28-2011, 06:37 PM

Wink 325 wsm

Congrats sheep nut on your dall. Inusing your guides 325 did you ever wonder why he was packing it? Not tosure that Sako has produced a 325 wsm but Kimber builds the Montana in that caliber. I was in the market for a over 30 calibre for up and coming hunts to the north for mixed bag. Needless to say that the Kimber found its way into my possesion. Mounted up with a Leupold 3x9 Ultalite scope this rifle turned into a serious mountain lightweight, just over 7 lbs. This rifle shoots very well 1 inch 100 yds. 3 shot 2650-2700fps 220gr. on my chrony. Not quite as flat as flat as my 270win but in big bear country what is more important? Sweet part is this package doesnt seem to big on shoulder abuse both ways. So when do we hear about your next part of the Slam. GOOD HUNTING.
Old 05-28-2011, 07:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by jeepster View Post
Congrats sheep nut on your dall. Inusing your guides 325 did you ever wonder why he was packing it?
Jeepster nailed it. If you are looking for a "sheep rifle" just about anything will do........but they sure ain't the biggest/toughest critter walking around where I hunt sheep. I carry a 300 now......unless my partner has something this size or bigger....then i carry a 257bee.

tm
Old 05-29-2011, 09:19 AM

Just picked up a 325 WSM in a left hand Browning A bolt. Shoots really well with 200gr Accubonds and H 4350. Chronographed velocity with max load is 2850 out of the 23" barrel. My buddy's tried Win 760 but is not getting the accuracy but velocities are similar. I have a 338 Win Mag and 338 Fed and I bought the 325 WSM because I wanted to and to fill the gap in the rack of my gun cabinet.
Old 05-30-2011, 05:04 PM

Thumbs up 325

i bought a 325 abolt a few months ago on a whim and i sure enjoy it. i already had a 270wsm and enjoy the short action in both of them. the gun loves handloads and doesnt have a bad kick at all espescially compared to the 338s ive shot. i was able to whack 2 bears with it this last weekend and it seemed to do the job. might be my goto gun in the future.