Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 12-31-2007, 07:15 PM

Question Game Carts

What do most of you prefer for a game cart if you use them? Anyone make their own? If so what has worked best for you over the years? Alot of questions I know but I was thinking of building my own. I hunt in Southern Alberta where in most seasons of late it is rare to have snow on the ground till late in the season. So a wheeled cart makes the most sence for me. I am a small guy by anyones standards so for me it's alot of work to drag a big buck out. Thanks for your thoughts and suggestions.

Hatfisher
Old 12-31-2007, 07:21 PM
sheephunter

Grizzly deer cart works great. http://www.ameristep.com/accessories/deercart.html

Inexpensive and sturdy. Hauled an entire elk about 5kms with mine this year.
Old 12-31-2007, 07:22 PM

They are reasonably cheap to just buy one. I have the Cabela's Super Mag Hauler. It is worth its weight in gold for those southern Alberta hunts.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...cart&noImage=0
Old 01-01-2008, 10:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Grizzly deer cart works great. http://www.ameristep.com/accessories/deercart.html

Inexpensive and sturdy. Hauled an entire elk about 5kms with mine this year.
Do you use it to bring in a camp,or just to retrieve game? Is it hard to control on steep declines?Lastely can you purchase one locally?
Old 01-01-2008, 10:19 AM

I'm not certain of the brand(s), but Wholesale carries them.
Old 01-01-2008, 11:38 AM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by the wall View Post
Do you use it to bring in a camp,or just to retrieve game? Is it hard to control on steep declines?Lastely can you purchase one locally?
I occasionally use it to haul a camp in yes. It's not too bad on steep inclines if there are two of you. Yes, Wholesale and Russels.
Old 01-01-2008, 12:14 PM

If you're looking for a 'made-in-Canada' unit, try the 'Pak-Kart' from Sasquatch Productions in B.C.. When I bought mine a number of years ago it was $200 + shipping by Greyhound. I've used every season since for everything from hauling firewood to moose - and am very pleased with it.

Old 01-01-2008, 01:15 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Duk Dog View Post
They are reasonably cheap to just buy one. I have the Cabela's Super Mag Hauler. It is worth its weight in gold for those southern Alberta hunts.

http://www.cabelas.com/cabelas/en/te...cart&noImage=0
I'll second the Super Mag Hauler.
Had a bad back all fall and would have never gone out hunting if I did'nt have it!!!
More than worth the cost and I can't believe I never had one before.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:25 PM

Thanx for the info guys. At this point I am just researching a little on them for the upcoming season. If you seen the size diference between me and my first Mule buck you will understand why I am wanting one. I didn't have to drag him very far at all but with two of us we were tuckered right out. My cousins was just as bad but we did have a dolly with us to help out with his. I limited which deer we shot this year to just how far we could drag them, which wasn't much more than 300 yards. Seen better deer farther away butat my weight which is about half of my deers', I don't think I would have made it.I'm on the left, Cousins on the right Both Bucks our very first bucks and my first Mule Deer and my cousins Second as he shot a Doe the week before and my Doe came a week after my buck on the same day my cousin got his buck
Attached Images
File Type: jpg first mule buck resized.jpg (32.9 KB, 85 views)
File Type: jpg Darcey buck 1.jpg (46.2 KB, 82 views)
Old 01-01-2008, 01:26 PM
sheephunter

Ya, no trouble throwing a whole deer on one.....amazing the rough terrain they'll go over too. Awesome bucks BTW!
Old 01-01-2008, 01:36 PM

Thanx. Was my cousins first time out, Though we did tape them out the numbers mean nothing. If your wondering my buck Grossed 160 4/8 net 154 3/8 and my cousins grossed 154 3/8 net 147 2/8. The hunt was awsome and we did pass up bigger deer, but this is a year I won't soon forget. Even got to take my nephew out for his first hunt and he even managed a trophy of his own, he found a matched pair of sheds of a 5x5 White Tail Non-Typ. Never seen a 9yr old so interested in something. Think I need to get a new rifle and get him coursed up for his 12th. Both bucks were big bodied. Dressed out mine weighed in at 164Lbs and my cousins went 169Lbs. Lots of work but worth it in the end.
Old 01-01-2008, 01:38 PM
sheephunter

Wow, those are great bucks...congrats!
Old 01-01-2008, 08:38 PM

We use a ski patrol aluminum tobogan bolted to two motorcycle tires. It will haul out an elk or a small moose.
wapiti11
Old 01-02-2008, 01:48 AM

Default Game Carts

Moose is on a Cabela's Super Mag Hauler and deer is on a homebrew cart. Made it out of a wheelchair and 3/4 conduit. Took out a moose on the homebrew cart this year too. I actually prefer my homebrew cart over the Cabela's cart....................but the Cabela's cart is good-to-go. Wheelchair wheels, being large, will ride over deadfall quite good. This cart is super light too...
Attached Images
File Type: jpg deercart_compressed.jpg (31.6 KB, 84 views)
File Type: jpg Randy 2005(3)compressed.JPG (45.7 KB, 84 views)
Old 01-02-2008, 04:01 AM

Just a heads up, Cabela's is selling the Grizzly Cart for $79.99 currently in their bargain cave - shipping handling, GST, and brokerage fees bring it up to $99.44 USD. Wholesale currently has this at $139.95 without GST. Figure on saving about $40.00 or so.
Old 01-02-2008, 01:03 PM
jrs

This is a cart a friend of mine built from scrap metal and an old bike. We hauled two mulies my brother shot a pretty good distance (mile or so) and the cart was worth its weight in gold. If i find a decent price i will buy one for myself otherwise looking for proper scrap to build one.

Old 01-02-2008, 04:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by John Spartan View Post
Just a heads up, Cabela's is selling the Grizzly Cart for $79.99 currently in their bargain cave - shipping handling, GST, and brokerage fees bring it up to $99.44 USD. Wholesale currently has this at $139.95 without GST. Figure on saving about $40.00 or so.
Thanks for the heads up I just bought one at Cabelas.You saved me 40 + dollars.Lots of goood info on this board
Old 01-02-2008, 06:06 PM

For anyone interested in buying a locally manufactured product, I was doing some repairs in the old Currie Barracks in Calgary just last month and was working in the manufacturing space for these guys: http://www.theriksha.com/

As soon as I'd seen their wide wheels I imagined they'd be very useful in a game cart where the terrain is soft. They had a pamphlet that included a game cart among their offerings, as well as a shooting cart! I spoke to the owner/inventor and he said his game carts were rated for a 300lb load. They looked similar to all the ones pictured so far, but for the wider tires and their local manufacture. Worth a call or a go-see for anyone in Calgary thats interested. Note that neither of these carts seem to be on their website, but be assured they do make them.

Last edited by CaberTosser; 01-02-2008 at 08:48 PM. Reason: detail