Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Hunting Discussion

Old 02-10-2008, 12:09 PM

Default Antelope Hunting Question

Hey guys, I am thinking that it is time to start putting in for antelope. But seeing as I have never hunted them before I have a few questions.
-How do you guys and gals hunt them, is it mostly blinds near water holes or can you do a spot and stock?
-Any idea what kind of priority I guy needs? (got a feeling it will be a few yrs lol)
-Can anyone give me an idea where there might be some zones worth looking at? Roughly. (I am not trying to dig out anyones spots so I understand if there is not much response to this one).

Anyways I have realize that I have got a few yrs to figure things out and do my own scouting. Just thought I would throw out a few questions. SO any info at all would be cool.
Thanks
Rust
Old 02-10-2008, 12:34 PM
Gone Hunting

There are a number of methods to hunt antelope and you have plenty of time to read magazie articles (there is one in this monthe A.O. mag.)and watch videos on hunting them.

Apply for the Non-trophy tag as well as the trophy tag. Going out for a couple days hunting non-trophy is a great way to rehearse for a trophy hunt down the road. A real advantage is you get to look at a fair number of trophy animals and get an idea what a good buck looks like. The first few times I hunted antelope with friends we all shot the first legal bucks we got a chance at. After awhile we learned that a better buck might be just over the hill and tagging the first buck was not the best option.

Take good care of the meat and antelope is in my view one of the best eating wild game animals.

I used to take my young kids along on non-trophy antelope hunts and it was a great time for all. They both go on antelope hunts with me now when one of us gets drawn and it is a hut I always look forward to.

Robin in Rocky
Old 02-10-2008, 01:06 PM

Default priority

I think you need a 4, 5 or 6 priority depending on where you apply. The more popular zones are usually further south for bigger bucks but I've seen a few big ones near Coronation too.
Old 02-10-2008, 01:30 PM

Default Antelope

I got my non trophy tag my 2nd year I believe. Not sure if I would have got it 2nd or 3rd becasue I 999'd it one year. Heartshot at 425 yards. Im on priority 6 for trophy antelope, should be getting my tag this year. I started applying when I was 12, hoping to get the tag and my buck before I'm 20. I think its time for me to start getting some prices for shoulder mounts from some local taxidermists.
Old 02-10-2008, 02:46 PM
jrs

james_m,
You mention non-trophy antelope. Would you mind sharing where abouts you went to fill that tag? I have 5 yr priority mostly because I'm not very familiar with the zones where non-trophy tags are given out. I will likely be hunting down towards Manyberries for a trophy antelope this year, never drawn a tag and i have only been down there a few times. Lots of learning to do if i draw. If i get a trophy antelope i'd like to have a taxidermist mount it with a non trophy antelope on a prairie theme pedestal so hopefully i'd draw trophy this year then non-trophy the following.

Rust,

Last year most zones went on a 5 or 6 priority according to the hunters information page, seems to change slightly year to year depending on the winter survival and what not. Most guys i know hunt them spot and stalk with the rifle and decoy with bows. We spot them when looking for deer and coyotes all the time so that's how i intend to hunt them (spot and stalk).
Old 02-10-2008, 02:47 PM
sheephunter

With a rifle rust, it's primarily spot and stalk...with a bow, most guys use decoys. One of the funnest hunts you'll do in the province. I should be up for an archery tag this year.....fingers crossed!
Old 02-10-2008, 05:02 PM

jrs
It's really hard to predict when you will draw an antelope tag based on previous years results. A buddy and I are sitting about 6 or 7 on non trophy. The year before last we "decided" we were going to draw our tags. We put in for a zone where my dad was drawn with 0 priority the year before, figured it was a lock, and we didn't get drawn. Apparently they do a count over the winter to determine how many tags to draw, and it can vary quite a bit year to year. I'm sure there are others on here who know much more about the antelope draw process that can explain it to you better than I can.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:23 PM

Default Zones

Hey Rust theres a few zones per draw in the areas i'm familiar with 112 104 and 106 and the other one is 102 and 118. The 102 and 118 combo is good becaues you can hunt the pinhorn grazing reserve and the sage creek grazing reserve where there are alot of trophy quality animals if you don't shoot the first one you see. In 2007 a 6 got you drawn in 112, 104 and 106. 89 percent of the 5's got it in 102 and 118.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:29 PM

Default Zones

Hey Rust theres a few zones per draw in the areas i'm familiar with 112 104 and 106 and the other one is 102 and 118. The 102 and 118 combo is good becaues you can hunt the pinhorn grazing reserve and the sage creek grazing reserve where there are alot of trophy quality animals if you don't shoot the first one you see. In 2007 a 6 got you drawn in 112, 104 and 106. 89 percent of the 5's got it in 102 and 118.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:30 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
With a rifle rust, it's primarily spot and stalk...with a bow, most guys use decoys. One of the funnest hunts you'll do in the province. I should be up for an archery tag this year.....fingers crossed!
I was along for the ride on a couple of archery hunts for antelope this past year and it was one exciting hunt!! I was working the decoy and holy smokes can they cover ground and get on you in a hurry if they want to. Can't wait till I draw my archery antelope tag.
Old 02-10-2008, 08:33 PM

Default Zones

Hey Rust theres a few zones per draw in the areas i'm familiar with wmu 112 104 and 106 and the other one is wmu 102 and 118. The 102 and 118 combo is good becaues you can hunt the pinhorn grazing reserve and the sage creek grazing reserve where there are alot of trophy quality animals if you don't shoot the first one you see. In 2007 a 6 got you drawn in 112, 104 and 106. 89 percent of the 5's got it in 102 and 118.
Old 02-10-2008, 09:51 PM

Spot and stalk works well. If you have animals in the area but can't get close enough, a folding decoy works well. Another great trick is to sit along a fenceline with a plastic shopping bag or white t-shirt draped over a post so it flaps in the breeze. I heard about this and didn't believe it until I tried it in Suffield. The bucks get really curious.

Try to avoid hunting from a really large herd as they can be really skittery. Although there will likely be several good bucks in the mix, there are too many sets of eyes and ears. When one starts running, they are all gone. Find a small herd and belly crawl. Then be patient and watch, even if you see a good buck, because there are always animals in low ground that you might not see immediately.
Old 02-11-2008, 11:12 AM

Hey thanks for all the info guys. I really appreciate it!
Old 02-11-2008, 01:00 PM

When I last hunted for Trophy Antelope, we first cut out a lifesize (minus the legs) silhouette of a cow from a sheet of plywood and then painted it flat black. We walked around the prairrie holding the silhouette in front of us and were amazed by the curiousity of the antelope to our 'blind'. Worked out very well.

Bobby B.

Old 02-16-2008, 01:00 AM

Default hi

JRS....I will PM you.
Old 02-16-2008, 12:19 PM

As mentioned on another thread, I'll be going antelope hunting this year - non-trophy if the draw pans out. How would 150, 151, and 152 be for non-trophy?
Old 02-16-2008, 12:23 PM

Non-trophy tags will be allocated based on the aerial population surveys conducted each year in July. I suggest contacting the biologist from F and W in charge of that area to find out about allocations and the likelyhood you will be drawn.
Old 02-16-2008, 01:54 PM

Thanks for the info guys. Ive only been in Alberta for teo years now and didnt even think about pronghorn as an option. Are there any non-trophy areas I can drawn on my first time applying? Dont care how big the animal is, just looking to try something new..... Thanks