Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 04-26-2013, 09:17 PM
Banned

Default The 1 public access to bearspaw

Quote:
Originally Posted by RockHammer&Rod View Post
Does anyone have any new info about bearspaw? Is this an entry point? It appears to be on Municipal land...

If you follow the directions in the pictures I have attached, You will see that there is 1 public place to access bearspaw.

This spot is popular in the winter months as you can access the ice here and travel to any part of the Bearspaw on ice.

If you don't believe this spot is public, take a drive down there and you will see a brown Public Anglers notice board. Similar to the one you see at PCR or Mcgregor.

I hope I helped you out.

You can't really fish it in the summer time.
Attached Images
File Type: jpg bearspaw.jpg (66.5 KB, 959 views)
File Type: jpg bbbeeeea.jpg (95.7 KB, 770 views)
Old 04-26-2013, 10:32 PM

Can you launch a boat there? The air photo appears to show a launch ramp and a dock.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:37 AM

The area that you are pointing out is gated off. I assume the residents are the ones that posted the tow away zone all around there. Also, they have no trespassing signs every where.

Just slightly north is a city of Calgary park for the people to access, but he residents have also blocked all access to the park area. The land has been designated as a park for several years. I phoned that city and it seems that the city cannot provide reasonable access to the park area. I also attempted to access the park area and was told by the residents that the park was private. From the road it would seem that the residents were enjoying the park a lot.

The parks are called Bearspaw Legacy Park and Haskayne Legacy Park. I assume it will be a cold day in hell when the springbank people will allow public access.
Old 04-27-2013, 12:51 AM

Here is a map of the parks.

http://www.calgary.ca/Mayor/Document..._park_topo.pdf
Old 04-27-2013, 05:21 PM

I am really ****ed! How can a few people deny all access to an entire reservoir for a city of over 1 million people? Just because you happen to own property next to a body of water should not guaratee that that reservoir is exclusivly for your personal use. The Bearspaw reservoir is owned and operated by TransAlts Utilities as far as I know. Can we not campaign them for something as simple as a secure boat launch area off Bearspaw Road for the sake of fairness?
Old 04-27-2013, 05:38 PM

Organize a protest, get a bunch of people together and access the park, make them charge you.

Thomas Sowell
Old 04-27-2013, 07:50 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuan View Post
The area that you are pointing out is gated off. I assume the residents are the ones that posted the tow away zone all around there. Also, they have no trespassing signs every where.

Just slightly north is a city of Calgary park for the people to access, but he residents have also blocked all access to the park area. The land has been designated as a park for several years. I phoned that city and it seems that the city cannot provide reasonable access to the park area. I also attempted to access the park area and was told by the residents that the park was private. From the road it would seem that the residents were enjoying the park a lot.

The parks are called Bearspaw Legacy Park and Haskayne Legacy Park. I assume it will be a cold day in hell when the springbank people will allow public access.
Quote:
Originally Posted by mayuan View Post
The posted pictures were a quote from a past thread earlier this week by "RockHammer&Rod"

See Attach pictures I have attached.
Old 04-27-2013, 10:17 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Pikehunter13 View Post
The posted pictures were a quote from a past thread earlier this week by "RockHammer&Rod"

See Attach pictures I have attached.
There was no access to that location 2 months ago. at that location is a big ass metal gate.
Old 02-20-2019, 11:00 PM

Sooo, I read years back, before the CP crossing was gated off from Bearspaw dam road, that once at the dam you are technically allowed to be so many feet above the high water mark. They can tell you to leave, but you have every right to be there since it’s municipal (?) Land. They don’t own the reservoir. Wont fish and wildlife chime in?surely they have a say don’t they?

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk
Old 02-21-2019, 08:12 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by BushNinja View Post
Sooo, I read years back, before the CP crossing was gated off from Bearspaw dam road, that once at the dam you are technically allowed to be so many feet above the high water mark. They can tell you to leave, but you have every right to be there since it’s municipal (?) Land. They don’t own the reservoir. Wont fish and wildlife chime in?surely they have a say don’t they?

I called the City of Calgary trying to see if they'd provide a point of access, or at least see how they'd respond to the inquiry.

I too was under the impression that the high water mark would be federally owned by the Crown like most other waterbodies.

They told me its leased by TransAlta, INCLUDING the high water mark.

Only legal option I was advised of was floating down from Cochrane. Told him I didn't own a jetboat to get back

Also asked about accessing via the park land thats owned by the City, was told that was not allowed; for liability reasons, even if I assumed responsibility/ liablility.

So seeing as I still don't own million dollar reservoir property or a jetboat, its fishing where the rest of us peasants fish. For another 5 or 10 or 50 years until the park access is built.
Old 02-21-2019, 08:14 PM

Are motor vehicles allowed on Bearspaw Reservoir ice?
Old 02-22-2019, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lambo View Post
Are motor vehicles allowed on Bearspaw Reservoir ice?

I’d say no. I’d take a quad out. Not sure how thick the ice is

Old 02-22-2019, 10:35 PM

Ice is 24” thick and can support a truck. I was asking if anyone knew if motor vehicles were legally allowed on the reservoir ice. I didn’t drive on today just in case it is not allowed.