Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 09-17-2009, 04:26 PM

Default Boot problems

OK. The Meindl's are a little narrow for me... so I put them up here for sale. I bought a set of Hanwag's at trackntrail, and (thank goodness) they have a return policy if you haven't worn them outside. They felt OK at the store, but... they are too narrow as well.

Does anybody have any suggestions for boots for those of us with wider feet? I'm definitely looking for a quality boot, as I had a pair of cheaper boots blow apart 30K into a 120K hike... Not fun... Local dealers for said boots? I've never had this many probs with boots before...

Somebody was trying to talk me into those trail runner/hiker things, but... not too sure about that at all...

Thanks
Old 09-17-2009, 07:37 PM

I got talked into a pair of light weight trail hiking boots by solomon at campers village. They are terrible, you feel every rock and stone through the sole. What a waste of money. I am trying to wear them out walking around the city.
Old 09-17-2009, 09:35 PM

Default Boots

On any huntin trip when your feet are done so are you. I think boots are the number 1 piece of gear you should have.
I also have the width issue, size 10 EEEE so I feel for ya. had the same issue with the Meindles and even took them to a skate shop to stretch them out and ended up blowing out the sides. aside from width issues they were a well build boot but just a little heavy. switched to a pair of Kenetreks and still had width issues and wore the toes right out in 6-7 weeks in the rocks. I understand they have a newer model that solves the soft leather issue. I now wear a pair of Bates GX-8 ultra lites with a side zipper, totally waterproof, mostly goretex and super comfortable. the only issue I could mention is when in the nasty mud the zippers are difficult to open after and now I understand that packing a toothbrush in the mountains is not just for cleaning your gun.
I have to say that these are the best fitting and walking boots I have had and they are right there with any of the good mountain hunting boots I have tried. there is almost no lining in them but I never have cold feet issues anytime with any boot so I am the wrong person to comment on warmth.Good luck in what ever you purchase.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:44 PM

You may want to try a pair of Zamberlans on. Mine are size 12, it says 'W' on the box but I think the class EEEE, EEE, etc wore off the tag on the inside. Took a bit to break in but so far I have no complaints with them.
I havent been up a mountain with these puppies yet, but they were great on the West Coast Trail. Best of luck on your search, having bad boots sucks.
Old 09-17-2009, 10:49 PM

Try a pair of these
http://www.mec.ca/Products/product_d...=1253248921327

I bought them when they were still selling version "3" roughly 4 or 5 years ago and they are still going strong. All I have had to do is rub a little mink oil on them once in awhile. These are the best boots I have bought by far. You can get them in wide version as well.

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 09-17-2009, 11:40 PM

I know that Lowa makes a wide width version of their Hunter GTX, the only trouble is finding them. You'd probably have to order from the States. Schnee's would be your best bet. Sheephunter got a pair, so you could ask him how to go about if you want.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:30 AM

Matt L is right .... LOWA HUNTER GTX in wide. Bought a pair last year and absolutely love them. No break in required and very comfortable.
Get them from Baker Shoe company in Oregon. Best price on the web and quick shipping.
Old 09-18-2009, 02:23 PM

Given the difficulties finding boots that fit... I will not be buying without trying. I'm more than a tad leery. This sucks big time, not being able to just get a set that works... PITA.
Old 09-18-2009, 10:21 PM

Maybe call Schnee's or Baker Shoe's and ask if you can get a couple sizes and return what doesn't fit. You could also trace your foot and send it to them. Other than that, maybe a road trip is in order.
Old 09-19-2009, 11:22 AM

Only an 11hr drive to Schees in Bozeman MT. They definitely are helpful. The Meindls work for me, so I bought them at Cabelas in Billings.

If you go to Bozeman, grab lunch at Ted's Montana Grill in the hotel downtown. It is only a block or two from Schees. Awesome food. Reasonable too. Beautiful old hotel.

These guys carry Kennetreks. Just outside Edmonton.

http://www.cheekahoutdoorwear.com/products.asp?cat=8