Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > General Discussion

Old 05-18-2015, 10:39 PM

Default Stiffnes in dogs after training or working?

I have a very healthy 2.5 year old Chesapeake Bay Retriever. The past couple weeks ive been really amping up my dogs preseason workouts and fitness drills. Pup has been having bouts of real stiffness soas i can tell, in the evenings following a heavy workout. Im a firm beleiver in training a dog in higher intensities during the summer months if youre going to expect them last entire days during the fall season. Maybe im going too hard on a 2.5 yr old dog though? When i say amping up, i mean instead of just retrieving drills ive added in simple fun frisbee games with him, just to keep things fun and get him doing some hard
Sprints. I feel bad for the pup watching him get the stiffness. Should i scale things back and be even more gradual working him into agility stuff? I was thinking of adding additional glicosamine to his diet. He is fed well, and trust me when i say he is well taken care of. He is no stranger to being in shape. I myself
Run a lot so its not like i suddenly got him up and out. Should i be worried about hip dysplasia at his age knowing the parents were free and cleared?

Any suggestions from the active dog owners?
Old 05-18-2015, 10:50 PM

We use herding dogs daily on the ranch, so different breed than your asking, but I'd be very concerned about what you describe.
A young fit dog shouldn't get noticeably stiff and sore if he has a active life leading up to some big work out.
Old 05-18-2015, 10:57 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Rancid Crabtree View Post
We use herding dogs daily on the ranch, so different breed than your asking, but I'd be very concerned about what you describe.
A young fit dog shouldn't get noticeably stiff and sore if he has a active life leading up to some big work out.
That ^

With the problem(s) being described, it sounds like the OP should be directing his questions to a Vet.

Mac
Old 05-18-2015, 10:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
That ^

With the problem(s) being described, it sounds like the OP should be directing his questions to a Vet.

Mac
Ya ive fired my cousin (who is a vet) a facebook message and shes pretty good about getting back to me quickly. Just thought id ask here if anyone has had any similiar experiences while i waited
Old 05-18-2015, 11:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildside2014 View Post
Ya ive fired my cousin (who is a vet) a facebook message and shes pretty good about getting back to me quickly. Just thought id ask here if anyone has had any similiar experiences while i waited
You're lucky to have a Vet in the family ... wish I could say that

Good Luck with it, and all the best to your dog.

Mac
Old 05-18-2015, 11:08 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by MacLeod View Post
You're lucky to have a Vet in the family ... wish I could say that

Good Luck with it, and all the best to your dog.

Mac
He comes around the next morning usually pretty much 100% so im almost positive its stiffness in the muscles or a previous ligament injury that didnt heal properly. Being the stubborn chessie that he is he took an early season plunge into a water hole and seemed to have twisted or sprained his front leg after hitting an under water chunk of ice. He yelped good, but seemed fine after i checked him out. Kind if one of those 'just walk it off' type things. I kept him off of it for a a couple weeks until he seemed fine. He seems to stiffen up in that join and one of his rear legs. Im thinking he might have beaten up a few parts and they never fully healed. Im going to wait to hear from my cousin and keep him off the hard stuff for a few days but keep him mobile. Poor bastard is laying on my lap getting his front legs rubbed by dad tonight 😜

Snoring away to a movie