Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 09-28-2022, 10:26 AM

Default RPAL Renewal issues?

So I sent in my renewal form in March of this year. My license expired in August. I have not been able to get a hold of anyone with the RCMP either by email or on the 1-800-731-4000 number. In fact I just spent nearly 1 hour on hold for an automated voice to say something about how they're busy and politely proceed to hang up on me.

Is anyone else having issues with license renewals or contacting our supreme over lords? I'm chapped seeing as it is now hunting season and I will not be able to participate at this rate.

Thanks
Old 09-28-2022, 12:22 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyleFromAlberta View Post
So I sent in my renewal form in March of this year. My license expired in August. I have not been able to get a hold of anyone with the RCMP either by email or on the 1-800-731-4000 number. In fact I just spent nearly 1 hour on hold for an automated voice to say something about how they're busy and politely proceed to hang up on me.

Is anyone else having issues with license renewals or contacting our supreme over lords? I'm chapped seeing as it is now hunting season and I will not be able to participate at this rate.

Thanks
I applied about the same time as you (March). This will be my 4th renewal. I recieved an email this passed weekend asking for more information (why do I want restricted license *target shooting. What range I belong to, etc). Didn't ask for any personal information and the application number matched the one issued so I responded to the email and was told my renewal could now proceed. If I log in it still hasn't been issued yet but mine expires end of October. Hope it here by then.
Old 09-28-2022, 03:38 PM

Quote:

Thanks
If I was in your situation, especially with the hunting season here, I would contact my MP and get them to light a fire under someone's *****.
Old 09-28-2022, 04:28 PM

Exact same situation, although mine expired end of July. I called my MP as I had read about that on here. They said they could no longer help in that regard. I finally got a call about 2 weeks ago saying it was being processed and should receive it in 2-3 weeks. Received it in the mail earlier this week. So their is hope. I questioned my MP about the legal ramifications, but never got much of an answer.
Old 09-28-2022, 10:05 PM

Quote:

Thanks
I wouldn't be hauling any restricted back and forth to range but i know one thing I would never miss hunting season because of the Fed's gong show.
Old 09-29-2022, 09:17 AM

Just to throw more kinks in process. We now have major hurricane situation in Mirmarchi and we have a Hybrid system involving both Feds and Alberta CFO provincial guberment. Their are real problems in system now, not to mention everyone thinks Russians are coming and we All need a handgun for protection.
Old 09-30-2022, 10:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Ackleyman View Post
I wouldn't be hauling any restricted back and forth to range but i know one thing I would never miss hunting season because of the Fed's gong show.
X2
Old 10-05-2023, 09:54 AM

Thumbs up RPAL Renewal

My RPAL expires next February. I sent in my renewal on Sept 13th. Checking the Canadian Firearms Centre website the application was received on Sept 19th. Checked this morning to find the RPAL had been renewed and licence mailed on Sept 23rd. Pretty good turnaround time - I was expecting much longer.

Mr Conservation
Old 10-05-2023, 09:59 AM

Online renewals seem to go much faster than snail mail renewals.
Old 10-05-2023, 01:44 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by zabbo View Post
Online renewals seem to go much faster than snail mail renewals.
I sent my renewal in by snail mail, as I was having some computer issues. Surprised at how fast it got processed and approved. Now hopefully snail mail gets it back to me in a timely manner !!

Mr Conservation
Old 10-05-2023, 01:53 PM

Renewal sent Sept 27 online expires Aug 24. Restricted and Non. This will be interesting!
Old 10-05-2023, 04:58 PM

I sent my renewal on Sept 3. Still no word, done online
Old 10-05-2023, 05:35 PM

Check this thread, some very good info in it.
Cat
http://www.outdoorsmenforum.ca/showthread.php?t=423041
Old 10-06-2023, 08:32 AM

Default PAL renewal

Sent in my renewal on Sept 16, rec'd in the mail yesterday... I'm pretty happy with that
Old 10-06-2023, 08:44 AM

Mine went in July 24, they charged my credit card, but no update yet, I will start calling around the end of the month if no update.

Last edited by elkhunter11; 10-06-2023 at 09:08 AM.
Old 10-06-2023, 09:04 AM

It is absolutely stupid how some can be so quick and others take forever
Old 10-06-2023, 09:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Smokinyotes View Post
It is absolutely stupid how some can be so quick and others take forever
My quickest was 3 weeks, the slowest 5-1/2 months. Obviously they could make things quicker and more efficient if they wanted to.
Old 10-06-2023, 09:29 AM

I called in after about 5 months. They brought it up and approved it while on the phone and it arrived about a week later.
Old 10-06-2023, 11:46 AM

Mine was set to expire at the end of september this year. I sent it in online mid-august, it was in the mail after labour day
Old 10-25-2023, 05:02 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warriorboy10 View Post
Renewal sent Sept 27 online expires Aug 24. Restricted and Non. This will be interesting!
Received Oct 18, 3 weeks from sent date. Done online pic too!
Expected a much longer turn around.
Old 10-26-2023, 04:49 AM

Default PAL (non-restricted)

Did mine online, sent in Oct 7, new one in hand Oct 23.
Pretty happy with that.
Old 10-31-2023, 02:48 PM

Did mine Sept 1 online , got a notice 2 weeks later saying photo was unacceptable. I did the photo at a passport place. Sent it back in ASAP. I waited 4 weeks, and nothing. Tried to sign in online, says system error. Phoned and phoned and phoned. Finally after several days on hold, spoke to a real person. She went through my info and found my physical address was not updated! I’ve lived in the same quarter for 15 years. Not sure how that changed??? Now they say they haven’t received the photo. And she said they’re backed up again 6-8 weeks. Aye yi yi. Brutal
Old 10-31-2023, 07:47 PM

RPAL did online , 2 weeks new one in hand no issues
Old 11-03-2023, 10:37 AM

Thanks to catnthehat and Dick284 for telling us the process.

A call today to the AB CFO got my renewal approved after only a minute or so on hold. Apparently Miramichi will now print my PAL in the next couple of days, and I'll see it in a few weeks.
Old 11-03-2023, 11:02 AM

Interesting but true story:
When the FAC's first came out ( in what, 1976?) I was remiss in getting my application in- basically I was not interested in buying a new rifle at the time! LOL
Anyway ,a trapper friend's wife had a mishap with his 3006 and he needed a new one.
We were on Drumhellar and I happened to find a perfect donor rifle at the COOP!
However, when asked if I had an FAC, the answer of course was " oh crap, NO!"
The owner of the store said " just sec." And dialed a number. He told me to go to the cop shop , the officer in charge of firearms issues was on days off but he would meet me there.
Figuring I would get some sort of temporary permit, I headed down.
A bit of paper work and no more than 15 minutes later I had a new FAC come through on the telex machine!!
I asked him why it was taking upwards to three months to get them in FT. McMurray and he flat out said " they can't be bothered to do them!"
I was stunned to say he least .
Thank God for small town relationships!
Cat
Old 11-04-2023, 09:31 AM

I was out of the country, but had neighbour looking after the house and picking up the mail. Had my new RPAL by October 12th !!

As soon as we get a change in government, I can start looking for a couple of revolvers I tried to acquire before the ban.

Mr Conservation
Old 11-07-2023, 03:08 PM

I applied for renewal in July, and today I called the CFO's office to check on the status. The guy pulled up my application, and approved it , and told me that I should receive my new PAL in the mail within a couple of weeks.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:44 PM

I sent in my renewal April 14, 2023
PAL Expired October 5th
Called and waited on hold and was told a card was printed and mailed september 7th. They said wait until October 25th
Called again end of October and they said a new card would be issued.
1 Week later new PAL in my hands.

No idea where the 1st one ever went. Hopefully a trash bin and not to someone who looks anything like me.

Blow up the whole thing and start over. Cant get any worse. Not involving the RCMP in any of the admin would be a great start.
Old 11-07-2023, 03:51 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jamie Black R/T View Post
I sent in my renewal April 14, 2023
PAL Expired October 5th
Called and waited on hold and was told a card was printed and mailed september 7th. They said wait until October 25th
Called again end of October and they said a new card would be issued.
1 Week later new PAL in my hands.

No idea where the 1st one ever went. Hopefully a trash bin and not to someone who looks anything like me.

Blow up the whole thing and start over. Cant get any worse. Not involving the RCMP in any of the admin would be a great start.
I would have been calling the CFO by August, if my PAL expired in October. The people in the Alberta CFO office are great, the rest of the system is garbage, and the liberals don't want to fix it, because it is their way of harassing firearms ownsers.
Old 11-08-2023, 07:54 PM

Did you send it online. May people have had a lot of problems doing it online. I sent mine by snail mail with my picture done at London drugs. My license expired in August of this year. Mail it in end of April and received it mid May. This was an RPal as well. Seems to be a lot of issues with the online system. Photos nay not be right, or just backed up with emails. Not sure of the problem; but sending it old school seems to work best.