Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 12-15-2023, 02:26 PM

Default Cva scout ?

Anybody have one or experience with them? I have always liked single shots. I had a Handi rifle that was nothing short of a night mare. I then got me a Ruger No1 in 30-06 that was absolutely amazing. Stupid me sold it to a good friend.Also had a TC encore pro Hunter in .270.
Anyway what are your thoughts on these CVA's
Old 12-18-2023, 10:14 AM

I purchased one in 444 late last summer. Was able to take it moose hunting with me, but alas, was not able to shoot anything with it.

I have recently been working up a load for it with 325 cast bullets. I have been enjoying it, and so much so, that I just recently purchased my first ruger no 1.

Yea, totally different single shot experiences between the two. Yes the ruger is more refined, and yes its over double the price of the CVA.

Really wanted the encore over the cva, but was not able to find anything of interest when the cva popped up. Most recently I looked at the Uberty for a bit, because I wanted a 303 brit, but ended up getting the Ruger no1 and plan to change the barrel and get a custom one made up.

I will more than likely hold onto the cva. It is a nice, cheap in cost rifle to own, and still shoots decent. I do like the ability to carry the round in the chamber and not have the hammer cocked while out walking. Bit of a sense of safety more than anything I guess, compared to the ruger, loaded with safety of.

The cva also don't eject the round like no 1 does, so that is something you have to be aware of.

I am enjoying the single shots so much, and have even looked at the winchester short block in 17 wsm, just because I always wanted a 17 wsm.
Old 12-18-2023, 01:36 PM

Default Cva

CVA Scouts are very well made, tight, solid and feel much better in your hands than the clunky Handi rifle in 25.06 I owned. This one is in 350 Legend (just for fun) and the Nikon 4.5 - 14 scope is overkill but balances the rifle much better than a 3-9 that I first put on it.

So far one wild boar kill with it.

I also owned a Ruger #1 in 25.06 that was very well made and shot well too, but felt awkward to carry for some reason.