Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-20-2016, 03:42 PM

Default Howdy Y'all!

Just wanted to stop by and say hello y'all. Lurking here awhile and first time posting.

I am new to fly fishing and started late last year. I only was out twice. The first time friends took me out and really enjoyed myself. I was able to purchase most gear for a decent price. I learnt the basics from my pals but wanted to take a class to help me learn the correct way.

So today was only my third time out and first this year. I decided to hit Dogpound Creek. So far in my other outings I have yet to catch a fish let alone get even a nibble. As I worked my way upstream I actually got a bite 2 minutes in and was surprised more than anything. I reeled it in to my feet before the hook came out and lost what would have been my first fish on a fly rod. I was still pretty stoked. I believe I might actually catch a fish before the year is out.

No more strikes or fish for the next 5 hours. I still had a pretty good time hiking along the creek with my waders practicing casting. I was wondering has the creek changed a bunch? I went north from the #380 and water levels seemed very low.

I just wanted to stop by and say hello. My story doesn't compare to all the fish y'all catch, but you got to start somewhere.
Old 06-20-2016, 03:45 PM

Stick with it and you will learn.

I caught a small brown trout the first trip I ever went on - about 9" and was stoked.

It took me 2 years until I caught another.

20 years later and counting, I still get excited every time I get to fish flowing water. I also catch many more fish now than back then......
Old 06-20-2016, 06:07 PM
Gone Hunting

Oh oh, you are hooked now!! ROFL

Welcome aboard. One tip, match the hatch.

If you can figure out what the fish are feeding on you chances go way way up.

Second tip, learn where the fish hang out. Like; behind big rocks, at the heads of pools, under stumps and overhangs.

BTW, I'm a novice fly fisherman. I wore out a couple of lines back in the 70s and eighties but haven't used my fly rod since. I plan to every year but just never get to it.

It gets into your blood and it don't let go.

George Bernard Shaw
Old 06-21-2016, 09:03 AM

Welcome.

Sounds like it's all pretty new to you. I clearly remember the first fish I caught on a fly I tied myself; a coastal cutthroat in a small plunge pool with a really ugly muddler minnow. I was maybe 10 or 11 at the time, so about 35 years ago.

Speaking from many years of experience (and frustration), if you can afford it, a casting lesson with a good instructor will help you develop good technique before bad habit takes hold.

Same goes with flyfishing in general; a day (or 5) with a good guide, or a flyfishing class, will help you understand trout food, the flies that represent it, and how to present them with a fly rod.

If this is just not feasible, Google is your friend. Watch all the (instructive) flyfishing videos you can, and read read read.

As they say: The tug is the drug.
Old 06-21-2016, 06:40 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by warrdogg View Post
Just wanted to stop by and say hello y'all. Lurking here awhile and first time posting.

I am new to fly fishing and started late last year. I only was out twice. The first time friends took me out and really enjoyed myself. I was able to purchase most gear for a decent price. I learnt the basics from my pals but wanted to take a class to help me learn the correct way.

So today was only my third time out and first this year. I decided to hit Dogpound Creek. So far in my other outings I have yet to catch a fish let alone get even a nibble. As I worked my way upstream I actually got a bite 2 minutes in and was surprised more than anything. I reeled it in to my feet before the hook came out and lost what would have been my first fish on a fly rod. I was still pretty stoked. I believe I might actually catch a fish before the year is out.

No more strikes or fish for the next 5 hours. I still had a pretty good time hiking along the creek with my waders practicing casting. I was wondering has the creek changed a bunch? I went north from the #380 and water levels seemed very low.

I just wanted to stop by and say hello. My story doesn't compare to all the fish y'all catch, but you got to start somewhere.
Those small foothills streams are good teachers. Skittish trout and decent holding water being at a premium forces you to spend time reading the water instead of making your arm tired. Cover lots of water to increase your odds and to get away from the easy access points. Browns love eating dry flies too- what's not to like about that ?
Old 06-22-2016, 10:35 AM
Banned

Stick with it! You end up some of the most beautiful places on earth, if you're lucky you'll get the water all to your self, some of my best memories were spent out on the water!
Old 06-22-2016, 08:53 PM

Welcome to a new addiction!
Dogpound can be a tricky one, a great place to learn to be quiet and discreet. These brown trout are super shy and spot you or hear you way before you spot them. Sometimes it pays off to take your time: if you see a promising holding spot or saw fish moving away, wait a bit, move around to have a good watching position still slightly hidden and look at the shadows and you'll start noticing the fish. If you can be even more patient just observe how they're feeding it will give you great clues.
And don't hesitate to move and cover different types of water, you'd be surprised at where you'd at h fish.
Have fun a go out a lot!

(If you'd like to go on a creek with someone else pm me, i'm no expert but can share some tips ;-) )
Old 06-23-2016, 08:59 AM

Thanks for the replies with some helpful info and encouragement. I plan on sticking with it and was aware of the learning curve before getting my feet wet.

I am at the stage now where I am enjoying the whole process of learning as much as I can with the added benefit of getting outside and exploring new places. Catching my first fish would be so sweet, but right now I am focused on paying my dues. Patience.

After my first time out last year I signed up for a intro course with Country Pleasures. The course was really good and I wanted to get some instuction before I developed too many bad habits.

Thanks again everyone.