Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fly-Fishing Discussion

Old 06-13-2016, 06:42 AM

Question Nordegg flyfishing?

Heading to Nordegg today and was thinking of checking out a new river. Anyone got any advice on the Nordegg river or brazeau river? Is there any high water/ run off? Also thinking of Shunda creek near Nordegg. Any other trout streams around the area? Thx
Old 06-13-2016, 12:30 PM

If I recall correct braz is like a canyon and tough to access. Been awhile since I've been that way.

I've heard mixed things about the nordeg as a fishery in general.

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 06-13-2016, 06:17 PM

I've fished the Blackstone a couple times when I have time to make it up there! Try it out!
Old 06-13-2016, 07:20 PM

All the rivers around there are tough to figure out. I'd personally go to all stones lake
Old 06-13-2016, 08:00 PM

Fly theory, have you had much luck at all stones? I've been up there before and didn't have fishing gear with me but I've been wanting to get up there again, feel free to pm me if you want
Old 06-14-2016, 09:09 AM

I thought they weren't stocking allstones anymore? Beautiful hike, and the brookies were delicious, but they have no spawning creek in that spot.
Old 06-14-2016, 03:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Bog D View Post
Heading to Nordegg today and was thinking of checking out a new river. Anyone got any advice on the Nordegg river or brazeau river? Is there any high water/ run off? Also thinking of Shunda creek near Nordegg. Any other trout streams around the area? Thx
Would like to hear the conditions of the nordegg river if you go there. Fiancee and I want to go there for a weekend soon, do a quick tent and fish for a day.
Old 06-14-2016, 05:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by kpfishngame View Post
Would like to hear the conditions of the nordegg river if you go there. Fiancee and I want to go there for a weekend soon, do a quick tent and fish for a day.
Thanks for the replies.
We went to the Nordegg river by sunchild rd and walked upstream for a few hours, didn't see much promising water, shallow and and quite slow. No fish sign at all, I fished nymphs and a small steamer, there was a nice brown drake fall in the morning so lots of fish food laying on the water but nothing rising. We never did go look upsteam for a different access point so I'm not sure what the river is like above where we were. Nice place but it looks like it gets busy with all the garbage and empty cans/bottles we took out of there. If I go again it will be further upstream for sure. I read FisherPotch's reply about the braz canyon, Thx you probably saved us alot of grief, and we are still a couple days early for blackstone I think so we decided to head back toward home, stopped at the cleawater and started catching rockies right away, stayed there for a few more hours and ended up with a brown trout each and prob 6 to 10 rockies. Great weather, and good times.

Old 06-14-2016, 05:26 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 3blade View Post
I thought they weren't stocking allstones anymore? Beautiful hike, and the brookies were delicious, but they have no spawning creek in that spot.
It looks like it is still stocked every second year according to the reports, 2013 and 2015. I was up there years ago and never had any trouble catching brookies on a fly, little guys was all I ever got.
Old 06-16-2016, 07:39 PM

Glad you found some fish!

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!