Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-22-2012, 11:52 AM

Default Tokarev TT33???

My RPal is in the mail, and I really want to start buying handguns.

Im thinkin my first gun will be the TT33; they are cheap, easily accessible, and a lot of fun to shoot.

Obviously with Canadian laws, you can't hunt or do anything fun or cool with handguns except shoot at the range, so I dont need a high powered or accurate shooting pistol.

So my questions are...

1. Does anyone have any experience with these? Anything to look out for?

2. Best place to buy them, and ammo? I see these things on different sites for about $200

3. Any accessories or specific cleaning tools I should look into?
Old 11-22-2012, 04:40 PM

I highly recommend the TT33 for being a solid, rugged, purpose built pistol.

They are inexpensive to boot!

The grips are a little small for some of us with Ape like hands (XL gloves for me), but I still seem to shoot quite accurate groups with it nonetheless. Lots of the supply of TT33's are drying up, but if you can, find a package deal with gun, spare mags, holster, etc. You should still be able to find crates of ammunition for quite cheap.

Try Trade-Ex for ammo and they do have a few pistols left, but they are mostly the left overs that are not in the greatest of shape, but they are priced lower too.

http://w ww.tradeexcanada.com/produits/74?page=1

http://w ww.tradeexcanada.com/content/military-surplus-762x25-ammunition-2280rd-case-free-shipping-offer

SFRC also carries the TT33:

http://w ww.theammosource.com/index.php?main_page=product_info&cPath=2_3_70&prod ucts_id=689

These are great little guns for the price, have awesome history behind them, and they will actually gain value over the years that you own them, unlike new manufactured pistols.

Enjoy!
My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Desert_Faux". These posts are for informational and entertainment use only. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.
Old 11-22-2012, 11:37 PM

Hey, thanks for the great piece of advice!

Im pretty sure this will be my first handgun, I like the idea of how cheap they are, their availability, and function!
Old 11-23-2012, 09:54 AM

Another great option for surplus pistols is the Russian Captured Walther P-38's that are at lots of dealers these days. They are usually around $500-$700, so not cheap, but again, they have great history, and are awesome pistols.

The first gun that I ever bought was an all matching numbers vet bring back byf43 P38 (Mauser Oberndorf Manufactured).

It's an awesome handgun! Works great, and in a cheap and easy to find calibre. 9mm Parabellum (9mm Luger).

Cheers!
My posts are the intellectual property of the person commenting under the pseudonym "Desert_Faux". These posts are for informational and entertainment use only. Copying or quoting in whole, or in part, is given free license for use by any member of this board for use on this board. Any use, in whole or in part, for reference outside this forum requires the express written consent of its author.
Old 11-23-2012, 03:39 PM

Default 7.62 barrel anywhere ?

I have the Hungarian "firebird" 9mm tokarev or Tokaegypt model. 9mm but I am trying to find a 7.62 barrel to try out. I have link & pin (1911 colt modified) and magazine but unable to locate a barrel. Tough when no one in the USA will ship parts up here.

Waterloo, Ontario

Any help appreciated.
Old 11-24-2012, 01:34 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Cressman View Post
I have the Hungarian "firebird" 9mm tokarev or Tokaegypt model. 9mm but I am trying to find a 7.62 barrel to try out. I have link & pin (1911 colt modified) and magazine but unable to locate a barrel. Tough when no one in the USA will ship parts up here.

Waterloo, Ontario

Any help appreciated.
Possibly try Tradex, or Marstar? Both in Canada.
Old 11-24-2012, 03:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Phil Cressman View Post

Waterloo, Ontario

Any help appreciated.
9mm barrels used to be common and relatively cheap. They were in demand, cause 7.62 x 25 was hard to come by. Price of the TT 33 may as well buy a whole gun. Spare parts, if nothing else. As for mags, Bulgarian 9mm will fit the Tokagypt as well

Grizz