Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-09-2018, 01:33 AM

Default Sunday's Adventure

This weekend a buddy of mine and I decided we wanted to go out and explore some new lakes instead of staying close to home in our usual comfort zone of Sylvan, Gull or Wab (we are located just south of Edmonton.). We figured we would head up towards the Lac La Biche area as there are many fishable lakes in the area.

Departing home at around 4:45am, we got to our first destination of Beaver Lake around 8:00am or so. Access to the lake was easy enough, we came on from the north side into the bay area. There wasn't a soul in sight on the lake when we got there, nor did we see many spots with old holes drilled aside from the shacks on the ice so we were a little bit skeptical about our choice at first. We drilled a couple test holes just to make sure we were dealing with good ice, didn't measure but it must have been close to two feet. We had no clue where to start so we just drilled around till we found some structure and a good starting depth of about 8 ft. Man was that water clear compared to what I'm used to.

We started out setting up our jaw jackers first, buddy ended up with a fish on before he even got it set up. Nothing spectacular, but a 60cm jack to start the day. Once we got in the tent he hammered a couple more all around the same size. I wasn't having the same luck as I was trying to lure out some perch, but I did end up with a hog of a walleye on but unfortunately lost it right at the hole. Things slowed down a bit from there, we moved around a few times each spot seeming promising at first as one of us would catch something right away, but each spot seemed to slow down right after that. A few pike and a few walleye, couldn't seem to find perch aside from the one we saw cross the camera for a brief time.

Around 1:00pm we decided since we were out in that area we would try a different lake. Unfortunately we decided to go with Touchwood. We got there at about 2:00pm just to find a massive heave blocking the access to the lake. Now keep in mind neither of us have ever fished out this way and didn't really have any idea of what to expect. We figured since we had drove all that way we may as well drag the sled out and see what we could find. Every spot we drilled was completely flat sandy bottom with no sign of life in any direction. By about 3:00pm and a whole lot of walking and drilling we decided we would cut our losses and head back to Beaver to try to catch the evening bite before heading home.

We ended up fishing Beaver in a couple more spots landing a few more jackfish and one more walleye. Around 6:00pm we decided it was time to call it a day and head back home. All in all it was a great day and I can't really complain. It was nice to get out and explore somewhere new to us. I'm already planning on trying somewhere else new next weekend. If anyone has any suggestions of maybe some smaller and easier to explore lakes within 3 hrs of Edmonton that would be worth a shot, feel free to shoot me a pm.

Thanks for reading!

Sent from my SM-G930W8 using Tapatalk
Old 01-09-2018, 06:01 AM

Thanks for the report!

Thomas Sowell
Old 01-09-2018, 08:03 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by DillzK View Post
This weekend a buddy of mine and I decided we wanted to go out and explore some new lakes instead of staying close to home in our usual comfort zone of Sylvan, Gull or Wab (we are located just south of Edmonton.). We figured we would head up towards the Lac La Biche area as there are many fishable lakes in the area.

Departing home at around 4:45am, we got to our first destination of Beaver Lake around 8:00am or so. Access to the lake was easy enough, we came on from the north side into the bay area. There wasn't a soul in sight on the lake when we got there, nor did we see many spots with old holes drilled aside from the shacks on the ice so we were a little bit skeptical about our choice at first. We drilled a couple test holes just to make sure we were dealing with good ice, didn't measure but it must have been close to two feet. We had no clue where to start so we just drilled around till we found some structure and a good starting depth of about 8 ft. Man was that water clear compared to what I'm used to.

We started out setting up our jaw jackers first, buddy ended up with a fish on before he even got it set up. Nothing spectacular, but a 60cm jack to start the day. Once we got in the tent he hammered a couple more all around the same size. I wasn't having the same luck as I was trying to lure out some perch, but I did end up with a hog of a walleye on but unfortunately lost it right at the hole. Things slowed down a bit from there, we moved around a few times each spot seeming promising at first as one of us would catch something right away, but each spot seemed to slow down right after that. A few pike and a few walleye, couldn't seem to find perch aside from the one we saw cross the camera for a brief time.

Around 1:00pm we decided since we were out in that area we would try a different lake. Unfortunately we decided to go with Touchwood. We got there at about 2:00pm just to find a massive heave blocking the access to the lake. Now keep in mind neither of us have ever fished out this way and didn't really have any idea of what to expect. We figured since we had drove all that way we may as well drag the sled out and see what we could find. Every spot we drilled was completely flat sandy bottom with no sign of life in any direction. By about 3:00pm and a whole lot of walking and drilling we decided we would cut our losses and head back to Beaver to try to catch the evening bite before heading home.

We ended up fishing Beaver in a couple more spots landing a few more jackfish and one more walleye. Around 6:00pm we decided it was time to call it a day and head back home. All in all it was a great day and I can't really complain. It was nice to get out and explore somewhere new to us. I'm already planning on trying somewhere else new next weekend. If anyone has any suggestions of maybe some smaller and easier to explore lakes within 3 hrs of Edmonton that would be worth a shot, feel free to shoot me a pm.

Thanks for reading!

Depending on when you’re heading out, there are several lakes I am interested in hitting up around the 3 hour mark from Edmonton. Would gladly meet up somewhere!
Old 01-09-2018, 09:27 AM

That is a great report! Good for you getting out to new lakes. There really is a wealth of lakes in that direction. I know if you keep at it you will find some real gems. But really, the two lakes you already tried you can spend the entire season focusing and learning them and not be disappointed.
I had the same thoughts for the rest of this year to explore North

Beaver is very versatile for sure. I’m certain you will find big perch in there with some searching. Tons of depth changes and structure in that lake. It’s like each bay is its own lake and challenge….
It has been some years for me but the last time we were there we just went directly West of that North launch say 200 yards about, 100 years out and were into small perch but tons of them. Nothing exciting I know but I was surprised at how many we had on camera and could see them in every direction. They were not hard to find then. The odd pike and walleye would shoot in so we could watch them chase and sometimes we would get them to hit our lures. A great lake for sure.

Touchwood I hear has the bigger fish. There is a small creek and springs on that West side so the entrance is always sketchy. This year I imagine the heaves are going to be brutal. Like most lakes. If you can get to that point on the South side of that first bay heading towards the East side before the main lake…always wanted to try there but never made trip. The point South of there has awesome structure. It is the transition area into that Southern part of the lake. I’ve been there in open water and did very well there for both pike and walleye.
Old 01-09-2018, 10:02 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by SNAPFisher View Post
That is a great report! Good for you getting out to new lakes. There really is a wealth of lakes in that direction. I know if you keep at it you will find some real gems. But really, the two lakes you already tried you can spend the entire season focusing and learning them and not be disappointed.
I had the same thoughts for the rest of this year to explore North

Beaver is very versatile for sure. I’m certain you will find big perch in there with some searching. Tons of depth changes and structure in that lake. It’s like each bay is its own lake and challenge….
It has been some years for me but the last time we were there we just went directly West of that North launch say 200 yards about, 100 years out and were into small perch but tons of them. Nothing exciting I know but I was surprised at how many we had on camera and could see them in every direction. They were not hard to find then. The odd pike and walleye would shoot in so we could watch them chase and sometimes we would get them to hit our lures. A great lake for sure.

Touchwood I hear has the bigger fish. There is a small creek and springs on that West side so the entrance is always sketchy. This year I imagine the heaves are going to be brutal. Like most lakes. If you can get to that point on the South side of that first bay heading towards the East side before the main lake…always wanted to try there but never made trip. The point South of there has awesome structure. It is the transition area into that Southern part of the lake. I’ve been there in open water and did very well there for both pike and walleye.
Thanks!

Yeah I was super impressed with Beaver lake and just the amount of depth change/structure all over. We didn't go out too far but we made it out and around the first set of islands. One of the spots we ended up drilling right between a bunch of giant rocks on one side and a weed bed on the other side. I figured that would have been a money spot, but it ended up yielding about the same as the rest. I do absolutely intend on heading back out to Beaver before the year is over. We were definitely kicking ourselves for the lost two hours or so in the middle of our day.