Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 02-06-2011, 11:53 PM

Default slow fishing

been slow for me!

Last edited by Buck Krazy; 02-07-2011 at 12:15 AM.
Old 02-07-2011, 12:47 PM

That's cause you have been too busy mastering your baiting.
Old 02-07-2011, 04:58 PM

lol great to know some ppl on here have a sense of humor unlike some people
Old 02-07-2011, 06:10 PM

Its just that time of the ice season, Jan & Feb have always sucked for me.
Old 02-07-2011, 07:14 PM

I found this time frame last winter around here it was the same, but it picked up again in March. Even better in April.

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich
Old 02-07-2011, 08:21 PM
Banned

Slow....Nope....Fast....Yes....Dropping hammers out there.
Old 02-07-2011, 08:37 PM

hahah, hopefully this weekend! Got a couple spots on Macgregor Im gonna try....
Old 02-07-2011, 08:57 PM

its been good but the barometer fluctuations have a guy guessing every trip. drilling 30 holes in the dark setting up is frustrating when you realize the big fish you had 3 days ago arent moving into this spot today....so you go find them and drill a bunch more holes that potentially spook them.....makes getting up at 4:30 hard to deal with especially when you just burned the am bite.
its been challenging but weve taken alot of eyes and not exceptional but 6 have been over 9lbs.
weve only had one really good afternoon bite that kept us busy with eyes...so we have whitefish challenges....we dont have any whitefish hooks so no one has won yet..lol...i do know a 3inch chubby darter tipped with sandwich meat hasnt worked for me.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:11 PM

I hear ya there, I havn't been putting too much effort in but a buddy from milo "promises" me some monster walleyes this weekend. They pulled in a 34" 12 pounder eye last week in 6' of water(after dark), burped up a baby ling. They are running 6" suckers, using a 30lb fluorocarbon leader. He says the pike cant bite thru it.

Are the eyes in travers on the mudflats yet, or too early?
Old 02-07-2011, 09:23 PM

the whitefish grab .5 inch forage gummy baist minnows in 6 FOW in sylvan lake with no promblm go buy some wire and some j hooks and your set
Old 02-07-2011, 09:26 PM

Thanks Fish hunter, but I more like to fish for fish that have big honkin teeth!lol And try their best to make you bleed.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:28 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Buck Krazy View Post
I hear ya there, I havn't been putting too much effort in but a buddy from milo "promises" me some monster walleyes this weekend. They pulled in a 34" 12 pounder eye last week in 6' of water(after dark), burped up a baby ling. They are running 6" suckers, using a 30lb fluorocarbon leader. He says the pike cant bite thru it.

Are the eyes in travers on the mudflats yet, or too early?
BK..they started to make the move...took a 13 and a 8 one weekend went back next week end and by 11 am and 60 holes we found them on a sharp basin edge but nothing over 5lbs. 2 weeks of consitant weather...good or bad would be a blessing
its been hard to figure out the pattern....we havent been even close to being skunked but somedays the feeling has creeped up on us as the evening bite is some what inconsistant.
one thing im sure of this year is....a aggresive jigging technique does draw in fish but its pointless because they will not strike no matter what dance you try after they are on the flasher.....we see less fish with subtle jigging but we can get 50 percent of them to commit in the red zone.
Old 02-07-2011, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Fish Hunter7 View Post
the whitefish grab .5 inch forage gummy baist minnows in 6 FOW in sylvan lake with no promblm go buy some wire and some j hooks and your set
FH...i have to ask...in the am and afternoon your posts are quite clear ....but as evening approaches...well.....hahahahhahaah

p.s. none of us want to really catch a whitefish..its just something to pass the day when the eyes get fussy
Old 02-07-2011, 09:37 PM

Interesting! I wish you could buy suckers in the stores. My buddy salvages them from the canals when they shut em down and hes down to his last handful as he didn't make it out this year.... I wonder if agressive jigging in one hole and then 5 feet away deadstick a smelt or sucker might get em better.

Either way, I'm off to the big mac this weekend, if I dont get any fish at least I can catch a good buzz at buddies place! lol. I guess they are getting good ling action too, but you don't wanna hear about that haha
Old 02-07-2011, 09:46 PM

Quote:
Interesting! I wish you could buy suckers in the stores. My buddy salvages them from the canals when they shut em down and hes down to his last handful as he didn't make it out this year.... I wonder if agressive jigging in one hole and then 5 feet away deadstick a smelt or sucker might get em better.

Either way, I'm off to the big mac this weekend, if I dont get any fish at least I can catch a good buzz at buddies place! lol. I guess they are getting good ling action too, but you don't wanna hear about that haha
tryed that....im frustrated and dont think im gonna figure this one out...gonna take a better man than me.

i hope you have good luck...Mac has some very nice trophy eyes in it.

yup if you ever hear a fat guy in a bright orange floater suit on the ice scream like a school girl...it means chubb just landed a ling
Old 02-07-2011, 09:54 PM

Too funny!
Old 02-07-2011, 10:26 PM

hahhaahhaah the screaming isnt the worst part
a walleye counts as 1 point...a walleye over 10lbs is 2 points

a pike is minus 1 point
a ling is minus 2 points and a 30 minute penalty which you have to stop fishing.
catch a couple ling and its a tough road...get ready to buy supper..lol
Old 02-07-2011, 10:28 PM

Dear Fishhunter. Please remove some message in your inbox so you can get my reply.. that is all
Old 02-08-2011, 06:27 AM

Quote:

I've seen pretty big sucker minnows frozen at WSS here in Edmonton, at the North store at least. Keep an eye open and you might stumble across some down there

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams