Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 10-27-2011, 11:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Sundancefisher View Post
AK47 is lying...he was skunked.
Actually...he really put on a class...Master's class in perch fishing...or as Specks would say...AK47 is a master angler extraordinaire.

I have used every method so far and perch do seem to be motion shy and line shy and hook size shy. Putting everything into context...you can fish the marmish with 2 lb test...using really small tungsten jigs and get way more bites and land more perch.

I have had awesome days with panfish poppers and also other makeshift rod springs...but the marmish gives you an additional level of sensitivity when fished the way AK does.

I carry a marmish and switch when the fishing is slower...and it does work.
Old 10-27-2011, 08:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AK47 View Post
So you saying you coulda won it easily? ROFL.

my competitive angling days are over. not nearly as much fun as one would think. plus you've already stated on an earlier post that you and your buddy won the stocked trout lake cull perch tourney easily, and had the local sundance crew confirm you are the perchmaster. how could one compete with that? for me and my crew, we'll fish, catch our fair share, and have a wack of giggles doing it. marmish free.

Dace
Old 10-27-2011, 08:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
my competitive angling days are over. not nearly as much fun as one would think. plus you've already stated on an earlier post that you and your buddy won the stocked trout lake cull perch tourney easily, and had the local sundance crew confirm you are the perchmaster. how could one compete with that? for me and my crew, we'll fish, catch our fair share, and have a wack of giggles doing it. marmish free.

Dace
I am with you on this Dace. I hated fishing with that marmish and went back to my normal rigs right away.

I say enjoy fishing and use the gear that makes you happy.

I am going to hobble my way out to the garage tonight and try to find that marmish so I can PIF it. Someone who doesn't know any better can claim it and use it.
Old 10-27-2011, 11:23 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Daceminnow View Post
for me and my crew, we'll fish, catch our fair share, and have a wack of giggles doing it. marmish free.

Dace
well, it is obviously your choice what to use - if you happy with your tools and results and do not want something better, nobody is going to force you to switch.
There is no shame in driving a Dodge.... but when you can drive Mercedes
Old 10-27-2011, 11:45 PM
Banned

Quote:
well, it is obviously your choice what to use - if you happy with your tools and results and do not want something better, nobody is going to force you to switch.
Ya you gota remember that mercedes is just driveway glitter when it comes to getting the job done i'll take the Dodge thank you.......
Old 10-27-2011, 11:49 PM

Quote:
Mercedes suck I've owned 2 of them and never again, my dodge works just fine thank you.
Old 10-28-2011, 08:59 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
I am going to hobble my way out to the garage tonight and try to find that marmish so I can PIF it. Someone who doesn't know any better can claim it and use it.
Feel free to send it to me.
Old 10-28-2011, 11:35 AM

So we judge the quality of a fisherman on how well he does on a community kids pond?
Old 10-28-2011, 12:27 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chubbdarter View Post
So we judge the quality of a fisherman on how well he does on a community kids pond?
Good point. The perch and trout in man made lakes are different than perch in another lake. Extra scales, gills and tails. Clearly something everyone else missed. But great input none the less.

Why on Earth do you find it so important to pick on AK47's abililty to catch perch? Seriously...

Last edited by Sundancefisher; 10-28-2011 at 12:35 PM.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:36 PM
Banned

Quote:
Quote:
Good point. The perch and trout in man made lakes are different than perch in another lake. Extra scales, gills and tails. Clearly something everyone else missed. But great input none the less.
I got to agree with Chubb here I have fishes perch in ponds lakes and great lake if you think they all fish the same then sorry you don't know as much about perch as people think.
Old 10-28-2011, 12:48 PM

Quote:

Why on Earth do you find it so important to pick on AK47's abililty to catch perch? Seriously...

now now....Sun read the thread....and find who ignited the fire.

Sun i you think finding fish in a infested pond is the same as locating and catching fish in a real lake.....then this discussion is over. As always i respect your God like expertise on everything concerning fish.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by horsetrader View Post
I got to agree with Chubb here I have fishes perch in ponds lakes and great lake if you think they all fish the same then sorry you don't know as much about perch as people think.
You are right on many points. Catching fish successfully is often based more upon the variety of tactics one can employ.

I have fished perch from Baptiste down to Mcgregor. Other spots include lower mann or upper...can't remember which, Narrow, Baptiste, Pigeon, South Buck, Wabamun...ummm...I know I am missing a few...still not all there are in Alberta but enough to know I have enough tricks up my sleeve to fish for them. Still...what I know best about fishing is I know very little...cause we can't read fishes brains yet. So I do learn something every time I go out. AK47 showed me the marmish and while I don't use it all the time...I do pull it out when needed. Interesting thing is...like any rod...you have to use this one in a certain way to make it most effective. People that have used it and scoffed...should probably watch and imitate those that do extremely well before discounting it.

Fishermen know that on any given day fish can behave differently. AK47 is a really good perch fisherman who has fish tournament in lots of places.

No one is saying AK47 can do as phenomenally on other lakes as with this one...and while for some...their skill is very limited...AK47 has a very good style that is transferable elsewhere based upon my experience and observation. Also...AK47 is a very nice guy...I have seen him out a lot...he does not brag...does not show off and is very low key. You however get very, very frustrated watching him pull up perch after perch some days. Definitely the most effective perch tool but also not the only one.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:05 PM

Quote:

Sun i you think finding fish in a infested pond is the same as locating and catching fish in a real lake.....then this discussion is over. As always i respect your God like expertise on everything concerning fish.
Actually...you...but that is okay. I would feel bad if you did not constantly look for me in threads. I see it as very flattering also somewhat encouraging and complimentary. That is why I don't hunt your posts down.

Cheers Chubby.

Sun
Old 10-28-2011, 01:07 PM

Quote:
You missing the point. It is how well you do AGAINST others on the same day, same lake and under same rules. Lake, pond, river does not matter... I bet if we would do it on Gull, Sherburne, Pine or somewhere else doubters would find a way to dismiss it as luck, hole, bait, whatever but skill.
I personaly think community pond is the best place for perch fishing derbies as there is no limit so you can truly judge who is better. Whats the point on making it on Burnstick for example? What rules that would be? Whoever catches 5 perch first? Biggest perch? lol, some lucky guy who is maybe fishing once a year will get single 13 inch perch and it will make him better then somebody who will get 50 12 inchers in the same time?
Not surprising that Canada's ice fishing team always sucks and places dead last in international competitions as most derbies in Canada are based on largest fish and not on numbers/total weight so whoever is representing our country has no way of training properly for international derbies.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:19 PM

Quote:
Sun i you think finding fish in a infested pond is the same as locating and catching fish in a real lake
Funny thing about last years derby that most of the anglers who fished that derby had no problem finding perch...lake is infested with them as you say....problem was making them bite.
Real lake in my experience is opposite, finding them is 90% of the job, catching is just a formality.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:28 PM

Quote:
Actually...you...but that is okay. I would feel bad if you did not constantly look for me in threads. I see it as very flattering also somewhat encouraging and complimentary. That is why I don't hunt your posts down.

Cheers Chubby.

Sun

Sun only your inflated head believes this thread is about you or I seek your posts.
How even in your mind did my post have anything to do with YOU?

I appreciate AK is a very talented fisheraman as some trusted members have said so. My point is that there is some other very talented fisherman posting in this thread. Dace for example. Ive fished with Dace and you can see his threads......saying Dace uses a Dodge and should try a Mercedes is ridiculaous at best. Dace is one of the best allaround fisherman i know.
Now i headed to the fishing hole to buy a marmish rod
Old 10-28-2011, 01:37 PM

Quote:
You missing the point. It is how well you do AGAINST others on the same day, same lake and under same rules. Lake, pond, river does not matter... I bet if we would do it on Gull, Sherburne, Pine or somewhere else doubters would find a way to dismiss it as luck, hole, bait, whatever but skill.
I personaly think community pond is the best place for perch fishing derbies as there is no limit so you can truly judge who is better. Whats the point on making it on Burnstick for example? What rules that would be? Whoever catches 5 perch first? Biggest perch? lol, some lucky guy who is maybe fishing once a year will get single 13 inch perch and it will make him better then somebody who will get 50 12 inchers in the same time?
Not surprising that Canada's ice fishing team always sucks and places dead last in international competitions as most derbies in Canada are based on largest fish and not on numbers/total weight so whoever is representing our country has no way of training properly for international derbies.

AK....im not disputing your a fine angler......but my point is other members have posted they tryed the marmish and have gone back to UL outfits........all baseball players dont swing the same bat, all hockey players dont shoot with the same stick.
We constantly get big perch accidently hitting our walleye tackle.....we dont want perch and if the problem persists we move. Our tackle is med heavy g-loomis ice rods, suffix and 14 lb vanish, and a chubby darter/no bait. So im quessing a perch expert can do just fine with a UL outfit and doesnt need to trash his dodge for a mercedes.
Old 10-28-2011, 01:55 PM

Quote:
Ive fished with Dace and you can see his threads......saying Dace uses a Dodge and should try a Mercedes is ridiculaous at best. Dace is one of the best allaround fisherman i know.
I apologize if that sounded ridiculous. Wasn't trying to insult any Dodge owners either. My bad if that example was not the greatest.
On the other hand calling marmish rods garbage or plastic gimmick is quite ridiculous as well, don't you think so?
Old 10-28-2011, 02:08 PM

Quote:
...but my point is other members have posted they tryed the marmish and have gone back to UL outfits
So im quessing a perch expert can do just fine with a UL outfit and doesnt need to trash his dodge for a mercedes.
Good points and again I agree that if you feel happy with your tackle and your results, cudos to you and go ahead and keep fishing that way for another 20-30 years if you like it.
I can tell that I certainly like UL rods with small perch lures as well and still use them on occasion - on days when jumbos are active and hitting hard it could be faster and more effective then marmish especially if action is happening very deep.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:24 PM
Banned

Cheers Chubby.

Sun[/QUOTE]

Quote:

Sun i you think finding fish in a infested pond is the same as locating and catching fish in a real lake.....then this discussion is over.
Quote:
Funny thing about last years derby that most of the anglers who fished that derby had no problem finding perch...lake is infested with them as you say....problem was making them bite.
Real lake in my experience is opposite, finding them is 90% of the job, catching is just a formality.
So you agree with Chubb then there is no comparison
Old 10-28-2011, 02:27 PM

Quote:
Don't bother, You can have mine. I won't use
Old 10-28-2011, 02:31 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by npauls View Post
Don't bother, You can have mine. I won't use
Yours is on the PIF lol
Old 10-28-2011, 02:31 PM

Quote:

lol, some people still can't get it. Nevermind then.
Old 10-28-2011, 02:34 PM

Quote:
Sun only your inflated head believes this thread is about you or I seek your posts.
How even in your mind did my post have anything to do with YOU?

I appreciate AK is a very talented fisheraman as some trusted members have said so. My point is that there is some other very talented fisherman posting in this thread. Dace for example. Ive fished with Dace and you can see his threads......saying Dace uses a Dodge and should try a Mercedes is ridiculaous at best. Dace is one of the best allaround fisherman i know.
You love insulting man made lakes...but alas...you are still a great guy. We can't agree on everything
Old 10-28-2011, 02:43 PM

Quote:
Cheers Chubby.

Sun
So you agree with Chubb then there is no comparison[/QUOTE]

Finding perch is the first part of the battle. Getting them to bite is the finese part.

I agree with Chubb and you that NO TWO LAKES are ever the same. But the same goes with fishing in the same (any) lake on any two consecutive days. That is the beauty of fishing...it is called fishing and not catching for a reason as we all know.

Some people usually catch fish when others can't. Would you believe that is so because of their skill, ability to use different techiques, finese, tackle choice etc? If it was all about being at the same lake...same spot...same hook and bait... feet away...then the logic I believe (correct me if I am putting words in your mouth) you and chubby are saying is that EVERYONE should be catching fish just as readily. Experience everywhere says that is not true. Style and hook and line choice and presentation is critical once you find fish of any species and some people do that way better than others.

Cheers

Sun
Old 10-28-2011, 02:55 PM

Quote:
Yours is on the PIF lol
Ya if I can find the thing. I am doubting I will find it before the PIF thread is over so I will probably have to post that on there so people don't claim it.

I have no idea where I put it.
Old 10-28-2011, 03:52 PM
Banned

Quote:
lol, some people still can't get it. Nevermind then.
People will understand if you don't try to make it sound like it a bigger issue then it is just answer it as the simple question it is do you agree with Chubb or not. You don't have to try to sound like you are a pro angler on the Bassmasters tour. We are talking about fishing for perch 2 and 3 year old kids do it. Anyway see you on the ice i'll be the one using the ultralight catching fish
Old 10-28-2011, 04:11 PM
Banned

Quote:
Finding perch is the first part of the battle. Getting them to bite is the finese part.

I agree with Chubb and you that NO TWO LAKES are ever the same. But the same goes with fishing in the same (any) lake on any two consecutive days. That is the beauty of fishing...it is called fishing and not catching for a reason as we all know.

Some people usually catch fish when others can't. Would you believe that is so because of their skill, ability to use different techiques, finese, tackle choice etc? If it was all about being at the same lake...same spot...same hook and bait... feet away...then the logic I believe (correct me if I am putting words in your mouth) you and chubby are saying is that EVERYONE should be catching fish just as readily. Experience everywhere says that is not true. Style and hook and line choice and presentation is critical once you find fish of any species and some people do that way better than others.

Cheers

Sun[/QUOTE]

I will agree with the first part. I will not put words in Chubbs mouth in the second part I will let him answer for himself. As far as for me no I don't believe everyone will catch the same that would be ridicules to assume some of those people on that lake are kids and very inexperienced anglers. Just like it would be ridicules to assume the person that lands 90 fish on a perch stuff pond will will have the same luck on a wide open free run lake.Or to assume that a marmish rod will necessarily out fish an ultra light pole
Old 10-28-2011, 05:46 PM

Quote:
People will understand if you don't try to make it sound like it a bigger issue then it is just answer it as the simple question it is do you agree with Chubb or not. You don't have to try to sound like you are a pro angler on the Bassmasters tour. We are talking about fishing for perch 2 and 3 year old kids do it. Anyway see you on the ice i'll be the one using the ultralight catching fish
I agree with some things he said but I do not agree about dismissing outfishing 40-50 anglers by large margin in Sundance during horrible conditions as inferior comparing to wild open lake.
By the way I asked doubters few times here already to meet on the lake and learn from each other.. I could show how to use marmish properly, you could show me something I may want to learn...... so far do not see any invitations to see superior perch fishing with UL and spring bobbers...?
Old 10-28-2011, 06:16 PM

I likes my Marmish

Shove your masks and your vaccines
Non Compliance!!!!!!
"According to Trudeau, Im an extremist who needs to be dealt with"
#Trudeau must go

Wheres The Funds

The vaccine was not brought in for COVID. COVID was brought in for the vaccine. Once you realize that, everything else makes sense.” ~ Dr. Reiner Fuellmich