Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Guns & Ammo Discussion

Old 11-22-2012, 04:07 PM

Default TTSX all pedals gone.

Shot a deer staight on at about 75yards. Found this at the back hip just under the hide. 270WSM 110gr. The bullet obviously worked, but not sure if I like the the fact all the pedals blew off. I've got two now from the same type of shot at the same distance and one is perfect. Does it really matter if the pedals blow off?
Old 11-22-2012, 04:31 PM

Out of curiosity what kind of velocities are you getting from that load?
Also do you know if Barnes publishes a max velocity for the TTSX
Old 11-22-2012, 04:34 PM

Maybe use a larger bullet, 130gr TTSX or 140gr AB's. Maybe with the higher velocity with the 110's the bullet expands too quicky on impact and the pedals are peeled right off.

I love the 140gr Accubonds in my 270WSM rifles...not that I dont like the TSX or TTSX , just that past performance at the range and on big game prior to reloads using factory ammo and same with reloads, I never bothered with the TSX/TTSX's. i have the 225gr TTSX's loaded for my 338-06AI, they shoot the same as the 225gr AB's for me. Dends on if I want white tipped or blue.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:47 PM

Looks about like a recovered NPT to me. Everybody raves about the way those perform

Lose the front half and the rear half keeps on driving deep. What's to complain about? Honestly if a TTSX keeps its petals, or if they come off as fragments, I'm happy either way.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:48 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Out of curiosity what kind of velocities are you getting from that load?
Also do you know if Barnes publishes a max velocity for the TTSX
Don't have a chrony, guessing around 3400 ish.
Old 11-22-2012, 04:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger15 View Post
Shot a deer staight on at about 75yards. Found this at the back hip just under the hide....Does it really matter if the pedals blow off?
Is the deer dead?
Old 11-22-2012, 04:54 PM

I don't think the petals coming off is a big issue , it certainly expanded and had loadsof pentration.
Cat
Old 11-22-2012, 05:51 PM

If you step up to 130 grain you should keep those petals.

I think if you keep the velocities about 3000ish or less on impact you should find the petals will hold on. 3300 or so fps is a pretty harsh environment for most any bullet.

I wouldn't consider it losing its petals bad, it just makes the performance different, it up to you to decide whether its for you and the game your hunting. Based on that performance I'd have no issues using it on a moose.
Old 11-22-2012, 05:55 PM
sheephunter

Pretty typical of the TTSX...they are definitely much more apt to shedding petals than the TSX...just by design. I'm not a fan, especially in higher velocity cartridgres.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:29 PM

I've actually used them on game, and have actually had them shed pedals. All their pedals. Yet they still worked beautifully. Missing pedals and all.

And if you can imagine it I've had TSX's shed their pedals as well. Oh and I've seen North Forks at $2 a pop shed their front end as too.

-Billy Molls

Last edited by Pathfinder76; 11-22-2012 at 06:41 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:39 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
Pretty typical of the TTSX...they are definitely much more apt to shedding petals than the TSX...just by design. I'm not a fan, especially in higher velocity cartridgres.
Why it's not like its shedding the petals outside the animal? Your very biased opinon on ttsx(insert hornady comercial here) I've shot a few animals with the 110ttsx out of the 270wsm, no petals have ever shed. All close range shots on heavy bone. Out of my 257 wby's I've shot the 100 ttsx and have never found a petal, never found a bullet either on length wise shots. I understand your reason for not liking any other bullet because they aren't paying the bills, but lets face it the kill great and penetrate unreal. Gmx are great too don't get me wrong I have yet to recover one, they have all "broken through" the tuff stuff. It jut seems the only things you like these days is the commercials on your show.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:43 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
Why it's not like its shedding the petals outside the animal? Your very biased opinon on ttsx(insert hornady comercial here) I've shot a few animals with the 110ttsx out of the 270wsm, no petals have ever shed. All close range shots on heavy bone. Out of my 257 wby's I've shot the 100 ttsx and have never found a petal, never found a bullet either on length wise shots. I understand your reason for not liking any other bullet because they aren't paying the bills, but lets face it the kill great and penetrate unreal. Gmx are great too don't get me wrong I have yet to recover one, they have all "broken through" the tuff stuff. It jut seems the only things you like these days is the commercials on your show.
No need to be ignorant buckbrush...I said I prefered the TSX over the TTSX....I never mentioned Hornady....you did.

The real benefit of monometals is their weight retention...shed petals equal weight loss. I don't like them in high velocity cartridges.....the TSX is a better choice for those IMHO. Your apology is accepted in advance.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:46 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
I've actually used them on game, and have actually had them shed pedals. All their pedals. Yet they still worked beautifully. Missing pedals and all.

And if you can imagine it I've had TSX's shed their pedals as well. Oh and I've seen North Forks at $2 a pop shed their front end as too.
The larger nose cavity makes the TTSX more frangible...it was designed with deer sized game in mind. It's no surprise it more readily sheds petals. Slower cartridges and medium sized game...it's likely a good choice.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:47 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Traps View Post
If you step up to 130 grain you should keep those petals.

I think if you keep the velocities about 3000ish or less on impact you should find the petals will hold on. 3300 or so fps is a pretty harsh environment for most any bullet.

I wouldn't consider it losing its petals bad, it just makes the performance different, it up to you to decide whether its for you and the game your hunting. Based on that performance I'd have no issues using it on a moose.
Still got a box full of the 110's to use up. Had it out for elk but never got to test it out on one. Not sure why it botherd me, the dam deer dropped on the spot, actually most of them did.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:52 PM

I guess they are zippen pretty good at the range the deer were at. Like was said, 130's would probably hold up better but i think I like the speed better out of the 110's and can live with the shed pedals.
Old 11-22-2012, 06:55 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by redranger15 View Post
Still got a box full of the 110's to use up. Had it out for elk but never got to test it out on one. Not sure why it botherd me, the dam deer dropped on the spot, actually most of them did.
So the deer drops on the spot and your upset cause your bullet doesn't look like the pictures in the manuel and advertisements ....
I think your overthinking it. There is only one degree of dead..Now how bout some pictures of the dead deer?
Old 11-22-2012, 06:55 PM

I don't apologize... i didn't mean to sound ignorant I was just stating my opinon... Guess I just forgot to put this in

Just seems like all your posts are a hook for your sponsors even if you don't come out rite and say it on this thred you have alot in the past. it's pretty easy to read between the lines on this one tho.

. Your opion is biased and you can't argue that....

Anyone who... Back to topic even if it sheds the petals the weight retention will be very high! For a lighter weight bullet that great penetration on that deer!!!
Old 11-22-2012, 06:56 PM

Some people seem to have the idea that the TTSX is designed for deer sized game, and the TSX is designed for larger game.Here is the reply from the Barnes rep, when I inquired as to the differences between the TSX and the TTSX.

Quote:
Thank you for your email. The TSX and TTSX are suitable for any large game animals or small animals depending on the size of course. The TTSX has a polymer tip which cuts through the air better to hold velocities a little better. The TSX and TTSX will both expand to double the diameter and expel 95% of it’s energy inside the animal with almost all weight retention.

So whether it be a 150gr TSX or 150gr TTSX they are both suitable for the same animal.

Thanks

Ryan Banks | Consumer Service
Barnes Bullets, LLC

38 North Frontage Road, PO Box 620, Mona, UT 84645
Phone 435-856-1000 | Fax 435-856-1040 ryanb@barnesbullets.com
Old 11-22-2012, 07:00 PM

Here is a 110gr ttsx out of a .270wsm shot was quartering to at 80yards. Bullet traveled about 3-4' of moose and came to rest above the back hip against the hide.

Old 11-22-2012, 07:08 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by buckbrushoutdoors View Post
I don't apologize... i didn't mean to sound ignorant I was just stating my opinon... Guess I just forgot to put this in

Just seems like all your posts are a hook for your sponsors even if you don't come out rite and say it on this thred you have alot in the past. it's pretty easy to read between the lines on this one tho.

. Your opion is biased and you can't argue that....

Anyone who... Back to topic even if it sheds the petals the weight retention will be very high! For a lighter weight bullet that great penetration on that deer!!!
No need to continue being ignorant. There was a thread about Barnes bullets and I talked about Barnes bullets nothing else. By design the TTSX is more apt to lose petals than the TSX...I pointed that fact out...nothing more.

Ya, my opinion is biased based on my experience...I think the TSX is a better choice for high velocity cartridges than the TTSX...the OP's experience would seem to confirm that. Apology accepted.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:17 PM

Again, based on my experience, first hand experience, they don't always shed their petals. Nor do I necessarily believe it is a "flaw" in their design. Maybe its a good thing.

-Billy Molls
Old 11-22-2012, 07:20 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by chuck View Post
they don't always shed their petals.
Defintely not but by design they are more likely to than the TSX. It doesn't bother some people...it does others. That's why Barnes continues to make both I suspect.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:27 PM

Apology? Lol I'll take the high road.. I've got a moose to skin.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:40 PM

Both of you can quit any time,
Old 11-22-2012, 07:54 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by sheephunter View Post
The larger nose cavity makes the TTSX more frangible...it was designed with deer sized game in mind.
TJ,

Quit while you're behind

Who told you that it was designed with deer-sized game in mind? You just made that up, didn't you?

The TTSX was designed to cut through the air a bit better, and expand a bit easier and more reliably, than the TSX. Stick to the facts, good sir.

Question- how many game animals have you killed with the TTSX? How about larger than deer-sized game? I can personally say that weight retention is not the primary determining factor in depth of penetration, and that the TSX/TTSX bullets penetrate more than sufficiently, even on the largest NA game, without any petals remaining. They are not a deer bullet. The TTSX expands well on deer and works superbly on larger game, as well. Even at high impact speeds and on close shots. Then again, I'm afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess.

I certainly wouldn't say that buckbrushoutdoors was being ignorant, nor did he speak out of line. What he is saying is obvious to anybody who reads these forums, as long as they can read between the lines. No need to get bent out of shape over it. That's the nature of being in the business that you're in, with the employers that you indirectly have.

Good luck on the rest of your hunting season!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:56 PM

I shot the 110 ttsx out of a couple of 270 wsm. The A7 was clocking 3650 and x-bolt 3500. I shot a few critters with both. They all died, lol! I found petals in all the critters and a couple of petal less bullets in a couple. I suspect not much is going to take those velocities and not come apart a little bit. I wouldn't worry about it if I was you.
Old 11-22-2012, 07:58 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
I shot the 110 ttsx out of a couple of 270 wsm. The A7 was clocking 3650 and x-bolt 3500. I shot a few critters with both. They all died, lol! I found petals in all the critters and a couple of petal less bullets in a couple. I suspect not much is going to take those velocities and not come apart a little bit. I wouldn't worry about it if I was you.
Man those are zinging right along Rich!!
Old 11-22-2012, 07:59 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 209x50 View Post
+1 to that, and I suspect that there are several other bullets that would also do just as well! We're blessed today with a wide assortment of truly excellent bullets. There is no one best bullet, but the TTSX is definitely among them!
Old 11-22-2012, 08:04 PM
sheephunter

Quote:
Originally Posted by Jordan Smith View Post
TJ,

Quit while you're behind

Who told you that it was designed with deer-sized game in mind? You just made that up, didn't you?

The TTSX was designed to cut through the air a bit better, and expand a bit easier and more reliably, than the TSX. Stick to the facts, good sir.

Question- how many game animals have you killed with the TTSX? How about larger than deer-sized game? I can personally say that weight retention is not the primary determining factor in depth of penetration, and that the TSX/TTSX bullets penetrate more than sufficiently, even on the largest NA game, without any petals remaining. They are not a deer bullet. The TTSX expands well on deer and works superbly on larger game, as well. Even at high impact speeds and on close shots. Then again, I'm afforded the luxury of not being forced to guess.

I certainly wouldn't say that buckbrushoutdoors was being ignorant, nor did he speak out of line. What he is saying is obvious to anybody who reads these forums, as long as they can read between the lines. No need to get bent out of shape over it. That's the nature of being in the business that you're in, with the employers that you indirectly have.

Good luck on the rest of your hunting season!

One of the Barnes engineers told me that when I interviewed him about the TTSX when it first came out for an article I was working on. Are you disagreeing that the nose cavity isn't larger making the petals more apt to break off?

Answer--I'm not sure on the number of animals I've killed with the TTSX...perhaps a 6 or 8...enough to know I didn't like them compared to the TSX anyhow. I suspect I've killed or run camera on over 50 TSX kills. But I'm just guessing

Weight retention equals penetration but when petals break off, penetration does increase as frontal arrea descreases but so too does the size of the wound channel decrease. I prefer a bullet that is more likely to offer penetration and a large primary wound channel...not one or the other.

Truthfully I was just trying to explain why the OP saw what he did...not get everyonbe's panties in a knot. The reason it sheds petals more readily is because the nose cavitty is bigger...the end.

Last edited by sheephunter; 11-22-2012 at 08:18 PM.
Old 11-22-2012, 08:21 PM

Quote:
TJ,

Quit while you're behind

That pretty much agrees with the e-mail reply from Barnes that I posted previously.

That leaves us with two options, to believe what the Rep from Barnes stated in the e-mail that I posted, or to believe what some Barnes engineer supposedly told Sheephunter.
I don't know about everyone else, but I generally choose to accept information directly from the source over hearsay.