Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 11-26-2012, 11:38 AM

Default Cold lake 2012-2013

any info on ice yet at cold lake thanks cant wait to get out in late dec .a c&r from last year
Attached Images
File Type: jpg icefishing.jpg (29.6 KB, 1016 views)
File Type: jpg IMG019.jpg (34.9 KB, 946 views)
Old 11-26-2012, 12:10 PM

I feel your pain! Nice lakers by the way; glad to hear they got to spawn again.
Old 11-26-2012, 10:13 PM

Hope we get to go wright away got new flasher it's your buddy with 3fingers lol
Old 11-27-2012, 05:42 AM

Was at French Bay 2 days ago. Not much ice yet. Probably be another 3 weeks or more.
Old 11-27-2012, 06:29 AM

Never fished lakers before. What test pound line do you use and what kind?

That is sure a beauty!

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-27-2012, 07:35 AM

I use 14lb fireline crystal with a 6ft 17lb mono leader. When fishing deep water with a short rod ( sounds like the start of a joke ? ) you want to try eliminate as much line stretch as possible for best feel and hookset.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:35 AM
Banned

Water temp on cold is warmer than normal for this time of the year. Could be mid-late january by the time its safe for vehicles. For those with skidoos/quads might be able to get out earlier.
Old 11-27-2012, 10:39 AM

Default rumored reg changes

anyone know if the reg change is happening on cold lake for next year - curious what folks think about them?
Old 11-27-2012, 11:18 AM

Default A few more fish from last year

a few more lakers from last year.cant wait .
Attached Images
File Type: jpg IMG014.jpg (50.9 KB, 370 views)
File Type: jpg new phone 014.jpg (24.4 KB, 361 views)
File Type: jpg new phone 049.jpg (35.2 KB, 415 views)
Old 11-27-2012, 11:46 AM

I have heard the minimum size will be going from 65cm upto 75cm next year on cold lake. I know 10cm doesnt sound like much but its going to be alot harder getting that laker to take home for the smoker!!

Cant wait to get out when she freezes over

Barbwire
Old 11-27-2012, 02:14 PM

Sask Regs have it proposed for next year (75 cms). i don't agree with it for a lot more fish will die when this regulation takes effect.

Not meaning to high jack this tread but it pertains to Cold Lake.
Old 11-27-2012, 03:19 PM

interested to hear reasoning why more fish would die??
Old 11-30-2012, 03:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by LCCFisherman View Post
Water temp on cold is warmer than normal for this time of the year. Could be mid-late january by the time its safe for vehicles. For those with skidoos/quads might be able to get out earlier.
Whats all this warmer talk on "cold" lake, go stick your thermometer in there and let me know when I can bring my tracked up UTV there and power mooch for some hard water LKTR's
Old 11-30-2012, 04:33 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by mikebossy View Post
I thinl he means that people will be catching and handling alot more fish trying to get a keeper now... the more fish caught and handled, the higher the mortality rate.... and bringing fish up to fast from the depths is not that great on fish.... or maybe he meant something totally different....... lol.
Old 11-30-2012, 06:30 AM

Quote:
Bring fish up from 100 feet down too fast, handle them then put them back in the water. For sure there will be alot more that die. Seen perch, brought up from only 25 feet down, get the bends. I hait slot sizes and c&r. Too much mortality rate! Kills fish for no reason.

Here is a thought, lets put a slot size on white tail deer!
after you shot one, weight it, if it does not hit between 250 and 275 lbs, put it back! LOL

C&R , slot sizes, are a joke. If you don't want fish taken, CLOSE the lake.

Gonna get me a 16" perch.
Old 11-30-2012, 09:38 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by fisherman420 View Post
whats all this warmer talk on "cold" lake, go stick your thermometer in there and let me know when i can bring my tracked up utv there and power mooch for some hard water lktr's
cold lake is dead!
Old 11-30-2012, 09:39 AM

closing one species creates pressure on other species. Slot sizes have their uses and can be effective closing entire lakes puts pressure on other lakes
Old 11-30-2012, 01:51 PM

Lake tout have the ability to release air from their air bladder when brought up from deep water. Since the majority of lake trout are under 75cm, almost all of the trout would end up being released, and all these undersize trout would be succeptable to the usual factors of mishandling or getting hooked deep. IMO, I think 75 cm minimum limit is a little rediculous because that's keeping lake trout that are 10 pounds plus and these trout are the spawners. As well, from my experience most of the fish I caught during my trips were in the 60-70 cm range so there's lots of fish to be caught and kept that are around the existing minimum size limit.
Old 11-30-2012, 04:25 PM
Banned

Although there is no shortage of laker's in the lake there sure is getting to be a shortage of big fish. Alberta will do the normal when it comes to Cold Lake, they will continue to let it get pillaged of big spawner's and keep throwing the aggressive smaller feeders back n until they eat themselves out of house and home and then get stunted and skinny and start to die off. Then they will sen in some university students to do krill surveys for 2 summers and they will determine the lake has been fished out and close it for 5 years and,,,, we start over again,, you know the same old same old..

It would be so easy to just put a slot size in, let people keep one between 45 - 65 to take home to eat and they are the aggressive feeders anyways and hard on the food supply. Throw the big trophy fish back in.. Thats what most of us that fish the lake regularly are after anyways.. laker's re one of the poorest eating fish there are especially the big fish,, utterly gross is what they are. But the smaller fish if cooked hard enough aren't bad.

But hey this is Alberta,, lets screw it up royally then fix it,,, right..
Old 11-30-2012, 04:32 PM

You hit it right on top of head Walleyes. This province is completely bass ackwards. Another good fishery going down the drain. Quick! everybody get out there this winter and keep all the big fish you can!!!
Old 11-30-2012, 05:00 PM

One day probably soon will be draw and tag
Old 11-30-2012, 10:35 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleyes View Post
Although there is no shortage of laker's in the lake there sure is getting to be a shortage of big fish. Alberta will do the normal when it comes to Cold Lake, they will continue to let it get pillaged of big spawner's and keep throwing the aggressive smaller feeders back n until they eat themselves out of house and home and then get stunted and skinny and start to die off. Then they will sen in some university students to do krill surveys for 2 summers and they will determine the lake has been fished out and close it for 5 years and,,,, we start over again,, you know the same old same old..

It would be so easy to just put a slot size in, let people keep one between 45 - 65 to take home to eat and they are the aggressive feeders anyways and hard on the food supply. Throw the big trophy fish back in.. Thats what most of us that fish the lake regularly are after anyways.. laker's re one of the poorest eating fish there are especially the big fish,, utterly gross is what they are. But the smaller fish if cooked hard enough aren't bad.

But hey this is Alberta,, lets screw it up royally then fix it,,, right..
well said sad but true !
Old 11-30-2012, 10:57 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Barbwire View Post
I have heard the minimum size will be going from 65cm up to 75cm next year on cold lake. I know 10cm doesn't sound like much but its going to be alot harder getting that laker to take home for the smoker!!
Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
Sask Regs have it proposed for next year (75 cms). i don't agree with it for a lot more fish will die when this regulation takes effect.
It would make sense to me that both provinces would work together on a new reg such as this for Cold Lake. What I'd like to know is the reasoning behind making the change. Is it because the biologists think that it is required in order to sustain a healthy population of lakers in the lake? Or, is it another backdoor job by Trout Unlimited to change the regs in the name of growing fish bigger to catch (aka "Quality" fishery).
Old 11-30-2012, 11:08 PM

Thought they were 75 last year... Good thing we kept 85-90 cm'ers only... Lol
Old 12-01-2012, 09:56 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Bring fish up from 100 feet down too fast, handle them then put them back in the water. For sure there will be alot more that die. Seen perch, brought up from only 25 feet down, get the bends. I hait slot sizes and c&r. Too much mortality rate! Kills fish for no reason.

Here is a thought, lets put a slot size on white tail deer!
after you shot one, weight it, if it does not hit between 250 and 275 lbs, put it back! LOL

C&R , slot sizes, are a joke. If you don't want fish taken, CLOSE the lake.
Lake trout don't suffer from the bends, as long as you don't horse em in at mach 3 with a turbo winch, the bends does/do not affect lake trout! if you pay attention when catching one in the summer(harder to see in winter), you'll notice them put in a big effort on the way up to stop, 'dig there heels in', probably at about 25 feet below the boat or so, and if you're real lucky/observant you might see bubbles that they expel to rid there air bladders of all the expanded gases they've accumulated from rising in the water column, completely different from walleye or perch which can't expel those gases, notice the air sac coming out of the perch's mouth when u catch them in 25 feet,
Old 12-01-2012, 10:49 AM

Its ALIVE when i was there last !!!!!!
Old 12-01-2012, 12:20 PM

Quote:
Lake trout don't suffer from the bends, as long as you don't horse em in at mach 3 with a turbo winch, the bends does/do not affect lake trout! if you pay attention when catching one in the summer(harder to see in winter), you'll notice them put in a big effort on the way up to stop, 'dig there heels in', probably at about 25 feet below the boat or so, and if you're real lucky/observant you might see bubbles that they expel to rid there air bladders of all the expanded gases they've accumulated from rising in the water column, completely different from walleye or perch which can't expel those gases, notice the air sac coming out of the perch's mouth when u catch them in 25 feet,
I have seen the air sack come out the mouth of trout also but not that often.
Old 12-03-2012, 11:27 AM

With the reg change maybe all the fish over 75 cm will be removed along with the genes to grow 75cm plus eliminating all the large lake trout we seek.
Seeing a fish over 75 cm will be very rare in a few years. Just a thought what does everyone else think?
Old 12-03-2012, 11:29 AM
Banned

Seemed to ruin all the walleye lakes with a large minimum size.
Old 12-03-2012, 01:24 PM

Getting back on topic.....I just got back from French Bay. It is totally froze over. Won't be long now!!!