Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 12-07-2012, 09:12 PM

Default C&R

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kim473 View Post
Bring fish up from 100 feet down too fast, handle them then put them back in the water. For sure there will be alot more that die. Seen perch, brought up from only 25 feet down, get the bends. I hait slot sizes and c&r. Too much mortality rate! Kills fish for no reason.

Here is a thought, lets put a slot size on white tail deer!
after you shot one, weight it, if it does not hit between 250 and 275 lbs, put it back! LOL

C&R , slot sizes, are a joke. If you don't want fish taken, CLOSE the lake.
Some of us fish nothing but catch and release,as long as the fish is well enough to release, of course.Should we close all the lakes that I frequent?
Old 12-10-2012, 02:57 PM

You guys never seem to amaze me both with ignorance and stupidity.

The guy kept a fish in a lake he was legally allowed to and he gets raked .....for what?
Then the next guy suffers for such a brain injury that he needs to point out the limit is one and not two fish but doesn't have the brain capacity to think that a ghost didn't take the picture another fisherman may have????

Why is it that everywhere you turn on this forum there is a outdoorsman taking a stab at another outdoorsman for some reason or another?
Old 12-10-2012, 03:23 PM

lol,
Old 12-17-2012, 09:05 AM

any new up dates on ice at cold lake heading out this comeing weekend thanks,
Old 12-24-2012, 08:29 AM

ICE on french mans bay was 16in almost out to point most guys driveing on fishing was good sat slow sun ,MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL .

Last edited by 35 whelen; 12-24-2012 at 08:36 AM.
Old 12-24-2012, 08:40 AM

Nice lakers....to the jealous few who choose to cut a guy up on his pics....get a freakin life. People like you are the reason no one posts pics here anymore...

LC
Old 12-24-2012, 09:19 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 35 whelen View Post
ICE on french mans bay was 16in almost out to point most guys driveing on fishing was good sat slow sun ,MERRY CHRISTMAS TO ALL .
thx for info MERRY CHRISTMAS HAPPY NEW YEAR CHERSS
Old 12-24-2012, 11:34 AM

Heading out on the 4-5th of Jan gotta catch one before they are all gone... Lol
Old 12-24-2012, 08:20 PM

Default cold lake 2012-2013

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
Nice lakers....to the jealous few who choose to cut a guy up on his pics....get a freakin life. People like you are the reason no one posts pics here anymore...

LC
X2!
Old 12-24-2012, 08:53 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tight line View Post
Heading out on the 4-5th of Jan gotta catch one before they are all gone... Lol
Never happen
Old 12-24-2012, 11:07 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
Never happen
Lol, do ya think... Seem to make out alright there...but like everyone says, its fished out, mis managed, "dead"...personally i think it is a very well managed stable fishery! Pumped to get there and have a big boy spool me!
Old 12-25-2012, 03:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by tight line View Post
Lol, do ya think... Seem to make out alright there...but like everyone says, its fished out, mis managed, "dead"...personally i think it is a very well managed stable fishery! Pumped to get there and have a big boy spool me!
A very well managed fishery in AB?!?!?! First time I think I've ever heard that one lol.

Ask around, those that have years of experience on this lake will tell you...... Big fish numbers are not what they used to be. Year after year it will get more and more stunted with these regs.

Fish over twenty are getting rare. Fish over 30 almost unheard of. Alberta record is a fifty pounder from cold lake. There's a trend for those willing to take off the blinders and get past the denial stage.

We've learned the hard way managing walleye like this it's a shame it still continues. It's beginning to plague other species as well.

Nice fish I can't wait to get out.

Merry Christmas folks. May your knots be true and hook sets solid

If I ever draw my sword on you, may the good lord strike me dead.

Luck is just an excuse for poor fishing

B.O.G warriors for life!!! Boots On the Ground!!
Old 12-25-2012, 02:33 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Walleye101 View Post
You hit it right on top of head Walleyes. This province is completely bass ackwards. Another good fishery going down the drain. Quick! everybody get out there this winter and keep all the big fish you can!!!

I agree fully. They will never change though. Just makes a person sick. I would be happy with one five pounder. The best eating size.
Old 12-25-2012, 02:59 PM

Thats true Fisherpotch. Ive been fishing it for a few years, and have yet to See one over 20. But fishing with a flasher ive seen how many are in there, and there is definately a good population. Would say most ive caught are in the7-15lbs. Im one of the people that think a slot size is a good idea for Cold.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:18 PM

Although I too agree with a slot size I've caught a few over twenty but none over thirty. My buddy caught one 32 lbs a few years ago and I know of another 30 lbs caught two summers ago.

There is thousands of LT in the lake for where ever I go on the lake I catch them. I've been fishing the lake for nearly 20 years.
Old 12-25-2012, 03:33 PM

A 5lb'r wont be a keeper even though it would be a good eater. Typically the 7lb'rs are the required 65cm length. At Pierce Lake, Sk the regs allow you to keep a couple smaller ones for the bbq or smoker which is pretty awesome, the big oily fat ones go back.
Old 12-25-2012, 05:57 PM

Slot limit. Look at the success on Tobin lake and Lake of the prairies. Can't seem to find a fish in those lakes that isn't a trophy. Lake trout are slow growing, give them a chance to have several seasons to spawn, then possibly get caught, then move out of the slot size into the broad stock category. How hard is it. Mind you, have seen how some people handle fish when they are letting them go...
Old 12-25-2012, 06:05 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by saskfly View Post
Slot limit. Look at the success on Tobin lake and Lake of the prairies. Can't seem to find a fish in those lakes that isn't a trophy. Lake trout are slow growing, give them a chance to have several seasons to spawn, then possibly get caught, then move out of the slot size into the broad stock category. How hard is it. Mind you, have seen how some people handle fish when they are letting them go...
Are you an Alberta fish biologist? That is there thinking as well.
Old 12-25-2012, 07:21 PM

I can't wait to get out there and catch one of those 30lb lakers.
Heard a few guys throwing them back ,not me.
As that would be the same as passing up on a 6x6 or bigger whitetail or elk . There are alot of lakers in that lake. I might go out there one week and catch nothing ,go out the next following weekend and you can't keep them off your hook.
I just hope they keep it the same. As some like to eat the small lakers and some the large lakers.
Old 12-25-2012, 08:47 PM

Might be headed up there this weekend, never bin before and a noob at ice fishing lakers. Anyone wanna share any spots or tips? not asking for honey holes just some advice to get a guy going in the right direction
Old 12-26-2012, 02:25 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by splake0 View Post
Are you an Alberta fish biologist? That is there thinking as well.
Nope,

did work for fisheries in Saskatchewan though. In my opinion the only way Cold Lake will make the turn is if you put a slot limit in. By putting a 75 cm or bigger regulation in you focus on several important age classes. Like other poster mentioned earlier the smaller lakers tend to be more aggressive. Might also run into the issue of species population imbalance, i.e. see a reduction in Cisco populations....AKA trout food.

Still lots of lakers though. Lake gets hammered hard through the ice and I think it needs heavier enforcement.
Old 12-26-2012, 08:17 AM

Anyone know if people have been driving vehicles on the main part of the lake yet, or going on at provincial?
Old 12-28-2012, 09:11 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bingo1010 View Post
Anyone know if people have been driving vehicles on the main part of the lake yet, or going on at provincial?
Anyone? Going up saturday morning want to know if its safe or not!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:14 AM
Banned

Extremely thin ice!
Old 12-28-2012, 09:20 AM

Was out there yesterday. Went out at the marina and drove out about 200 yards. Ice was 14". Then the ice was singing. Some dude in a tracker drove way out there. Some sleds and side by sides were out there too. Just didnt want to risk it.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:00 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalray View Post
Was out there yesterday. Went out at the marina and drove out about 200 yards. Ice was 14". Then the ice was singing. Some dude in a tracker drove way out there. Some sleds and side by sides were out there too. Just didnt want to risk it.
Catch anything?
Old 12-28-2012, 10:17 AM

Lakers are not the best table fare especially when they get over 10-12 lbs. (but I also fill my freezer every summer with salmon)

I would like to see a smaller slot limit and let the trophys roam the waters for another day.

Mike
Old 12-28-2012, 10:29 AM

I wouldnt be driving out to far from the prov park or marina just yet. But with the little snow cover and cold we are getting, after new years it should be good to go.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:30 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Blairh View Post
Anyone? Going up saturday morning want to know if its safe or not!
It's still very early for good ice. The centre of the lake typically doesn't freeze till right around Christmas.
Last I heard the centre froze over about two weeks ago. Either way, you wouldn't catch me on the main part of the lake for another couple of weeks with anything other than a hovercraft.
Old 12-28-2012, 10:40 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
Lakers are not the best table fare especially when they get over 10-12 lbs. (but I also fill my freezer every summer with salmon)

I would like to see a smaller slot limit and let the trophys roam the waters for another day.

Mike
Right on there...Cold Lake trout are not that good, unless you like fishy fish.

Wonder how many times a 30lber gets caught and released in Cold Lake and caught again. I say never. I do not believe slot size will bring the lake back to where it was,say even 10 years ago. The commercial fishery has pretty much disappeared, but the huge increase in angling pressure has taking over in the depletion of larger trout.