Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 03-04-2014, 07:56 PM

I won't be at wings tomorrow so youll need to bring me up to speed.
Old 03-05-2014, 05:23 AM
Gone Fishing

Just call my cell when you get to the Provincial Park boat launch in Cold Lake. I will guide you from there.
Old 03-05-2014, 07:03 AM

Its a highly complicated technical plan. LOL

1. Like or love fishing
2. Like having a good time with good peeps
3. Like watching Willow stick his leg in a drilled fishing hole
4. Drive to Cold Lake between March 7-9
5. Catch Trout, Drink beer
Old 03-05-2014, 07:21 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by viral_override View Post
Its a highly complicated technical plan. LOL

1. Like or love fishing
2. Like having a good time with good peeps
3. Like watching Willow stick his leg in a drilled fishing hole
4. Drive to Cold Lake between March 7-9
5. Catch Trout, Drink beer
I think more of the planning likely has to do with the camping on the ice aspect of this excursion...I've never camped on the ice before, and I'm guessing quite a few others haven't as well.

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-05-2014, 07:30 AM

Will be heading out saturday morning and staying over night. Bringing 1 buddy with me.
Old 03-05-2014, 08:58 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Geezle View Post
I think more of the planning likely has to do with the camping on the ice aspect of this excursion...

Good point.

Step 3.5: Overnight stuff to pack
- pop-up tent
- heater
- propane bottle
- cot and/or thermarest (bring a tarp if using thermarest)
- good sleeping bag (or 2 okay sleeping bags, or 1 okay bag and a few wool blankets, you can also sleep in your clothes)
- flashlight/headlamp
- rod holder/rod bell (so you can fish while you sleep)
- garbage bags
- pillow
- food/stove to cook food
- extra clothes, especially good socks

Optional Stuff
- these squares for your shack from Can Tire/Walmart are VERY nice if you are sleeping in your shack (http://www.amazon.com/Sell-Mats-Anti.../dp/B0014H9Y6O)
- A battery powered overhead fan/light is great to keep the heat ciculating in your shack

That should cover it so you're comfortable. Feel free to add to the list anyone who sees soemthing I missed.
Old 03-05-2014, 09:30 AM

A light in the shack is a very handy asset.

Copper nailed it pretty good. Ice cleats are good too after a couple days of melting the ice with the heater. Propane is the most important thing out there.

Bring plates and cutlery.

I'll throw in some garbage bags. We take out whatever we bring in.

Only 2 more sleeps

I won't be at wings tonight, picking up the I laws at the airport.
Old 03-05-2014, 10:13 AM

Default Up-date on Conditions

I was out last weekend, March 1/2.......there is about 8 inches of snow (not sure if it snowed there yesterday) on the lake, just got through without an extension, there are spots that are deeper, if it warms up enough it could get REAL MESSY, talked to one fellow that went by the Cold River and got stuck for 4 hours (avoid!!)

Fishing on an Extreme Cold Front (-40 when we got to the lake, Saturday morning) was challenging to say the least, we found the laker's short striking a lot and many many fish on the sonar would look and follow and not commit and just move away. What we did though was downsize our lures and this was the ticket!!...We did well considering the conditions with the biggest being 22lbs and was released.

Hope this helps!

Tight Lines

HW
Old 03-05-2014, 02:56 PM

Thanks for the info Walleyes.

Hopefully we have a good weather weekend and no low front moves in
Old 03-05-2014, 05:06 PM

I just had a call from fish and wildlife.

I just want to remind everyone that this IS NOT A DERBY and there will no prizes for fish caught.

All rules will be followed on limits.
Old 03-06-2014, 07:57 AM

Quote:
I think more of the planning likely has to do with the camping on the ice aspect of this excursion...I've never camped on the ice before, and I'm guessing quite a few others haven't as well.
Absolutely...just being a smart***** LOL
Old 03-06-2014, 08:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post

I just want to remind everyone that this IS NOT A DERBY and there will no prizes for fish caught.

Interesting!!
Just shows how much F&W use this forum as a resource.....Keep your beers and booze packed away as I am sure a visit form F&W will be coming.
Another easily broken regulation at a gathering like this would be wandering to far from an unattended line while visiting (30M) keep this in mind guys hate to see some tickets get handed out and wreck a good weekend.
Have a great outing!!

And might I suggest hip waders for those prone to wetting a leg lol.

Don't know if anyone from AO magazine is making the trip but it would be a neat article.

Cheers,
Mike
Old 03-06-2014, 08:20 AM
Banned

sounds like a lot of people are going to make it this weekend. looks like the temps. should be nice and hopefully won't get to much wind. hope everyone has a safe trip and i look foreward to hearing some good stories and seeing some great pics. have fun.
Old 03-06-2014, 08:29 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Willowtrail View Post

are you saying that fish and wildlife called you because of this thread? wonder how they got your name and phone#? i find this very interesting. sure hope they don't plan to harrass a bunch of outdoors men and ladies that just want to get together for a fun weekend.
i have not seen one post that suggests this is any kind of derby, though i for one would probably have lost a lot of "hot chocalote" bets if i was out there. lol
Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by waterninja View Post
are you saying that fish and wildlife called you because of this thread? wonder how they got your name and phone#? i find this very interesting. sure hope they don't plan to harrass a bunch of outdoors men and ladies that just want to get together for a fun weekend.
i have not seen one post that suggests this is any kind of derby, though i for one would probably have lost a lot of "hot chocalote" bets if i was out there. lol
Interesting to be sure...I expect we'll be seeing them make an appearance or two this weekend

Time, it makes you old. Experience makes you wise. It's only a fool who judges life by what he sees in other peoples' eyes.
- Strung Out

I may not have gone where I intended to go, but I think I have ended up where I needed to be.
- Douglas Adams
Old 03-06-2014, 08:36 AM

Quote:
WARNING!!!

One of the greatest dangers of this weekend will be asphyxiation.
The most dangerous thing will be guys tempted to close all the windows and turn up there heaters in the tents.
This is such a danger cause you aren't opening doors to allow fresh oxygen into your tent over long periods, as well when you sleep you don't notice the slight headache or getting tired you just fall into a deeper sleep that you wont wake up from.

Be smart out there unless you have a intelligent heater like a buddy heater with a low oxygen shut off don't run a heater at night at all.
If you wake up and are freezing and need to take the chill off by starting your heater set an alarm for under an hour.

Be safe,
Mike
Old 03-06-2014, 09:15 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
WARNING!!!

The most dangerous thing will be guys tempted to close all the windows and turn up there heaters in the tents.
This is such a danger cause you aren't opening doors to allow fresh oxygen into your tent over long periods, as well when you sleep you don't notice the slight headache or getting tired you just fall into a deeper sleep that you wont wake up from.

Be smart out there unless you have a intelligent heater like a buddy heater with a low oxygen shut off don't run a heater at night at all.
If you wake up and are freezing and need to take the chill off by starting your heater set an alarm for under an hour.

Be safe,
Mike
X2 I'm bringing a genset and running electric heat for the nights.

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 03-06-2014, 09:35 AM

I will be checking everyone's tents as well for windows being open. A little cold air in makes for fresh air intake.

Ninja, my number is posted in the thread. I'm glad they show interest in our forum.

I follow regs all the time and have some numbers of conservation officers in my address book. They are good people to know.

I will try and collect a bit of data this weekend. How many caught. Length (75 +/-), numbers retained and species caught and report back to him on Monday.

We're out to have fun, it's just an organized gathering with a t shirt that you are paying for ($15) cash on the ice to me or viral and we'll pass it on to the supplier. No prizes just a fun weekend with some great folks catching fish.
Old 03-06-2014, 09:50 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mike_W View Post
WARNING!!!

Be safe,
Mike
To mitigate this hazard Fort Fisherman and myself will be bringing our 4-head monitor's from work and will be conducting atmosphere tests of tents for a small charge (1 beer per test). Unfortunately we will only have 2 so not able to conduct continous monitoring all night.
Old 03-06-2014, 10:13 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by AppleJax View Post
Sleeping quarters, washroom, and cooking facilities. Perfectly legal to enjoy a beverage...

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 03-06-2014, 10:18 AM
Banned

how for from peerlesslake to cold lake wood like to come out fer a few ryes
Old 03-06-2014, 11:09 AM

I'm stoked about this.

I plan to be there on the ice about 11:00 am ish.
Old 03-06-2014, 11:34 AM

Quote:
Yeah cause that's all the fish cops do, out to harass people......

Come on dude, really?? Show just a little bit of respect toward them, they have a tough job.
Old 03-06-2014, 02:47 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by mxer117 View Post
Yeah cause that's all the fish cops do, out to harass people......

Come on dude, really?? Show just a little bit of respect toward them, they have a tough job.
got me all wrong mxer. didn't say that there out to harass people. have interacted with c.o.'s many times hunting and fishing and to date haven't had a problem. on the contrary they have been very helpfull and informative about fishing or hunting spots, or any other info. i have asked about. only meant that i found it a little interesting that they contacted a member about an illegal activity that was never suggested in the first place.
wouldun't be surprised if they stop by "hung like a trout" site and be met with an offer of coffee or hot chocolate.
could have worded my initial post better but you don't always get it perfect before you hit "submit"
Old 03-06-2014, 02:52 PM

Quote:
got me all wrong mxer. didn't say that there out to harass people. have interacted with c.o.'s many times hunting and fishing and to date haven't had a problem. on the contrary they have been very helpfull and informative about fishing or hunting spots, or any other info. i have asked about. only meant that i found it a little interesting that they contacted a member about an illegal activity that was never suggested in the first place.
wouldun't be surprised if they stop by "hung like a trout" site and be met with an offer of coffee or hot chocolate.
It was my offer of bringing "Tims coffee or Hot Chocolate" out that was the deal maker.

F&W are welcome to enjoy a cup or Two if they come out.
Old 03-06-2014, 03:07 PM

Post Cold lake

Due to unforeseen circumstances I will not be able to attend this year (again) Dang!!!
Old 03-06-2014, 10:17 PM

For those of you that are you there already, care to share any updates? Ice thickness, snow depth, fishing status, ect?

"The problem was this little thing called the government and laws."
Old 03-06-2014, 11:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ghostguy6 View Post
For those of you that are you there already, care to share any updates? Ice thickness, snow depth, fishing status, ect?
Lots of ice...just barely made it through without an extension on the Eskimo.

Not a lot of snow but there is some drifting.

Not much fishing happening

- Strung Out

- Douglas Adams
Old 03-07-2014, 08:32 AM

All hooked up and on our way. See you in 3 hours.
Old 03-07-2014, 08:42 AM
Banned

Sounds like its going to be a blast . GOOD LUCK to all of you heading up this week, Be Safe, Have Fun, And catch some FISH !

I really wish I could make it out, But the Wifey has me locked down at home for the weekend !