Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 08-22-2015, 12:13 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by ck angler View Post
i still think alberta needs to implement better slot regulations that restricts people from keeping larger fish. This argument had been had countless times, but i still don't agree with keeping "overs" slot sizes should be under a certain length. When i go to other provinces we can keep a limit of 6 walleye per license under a certain length, so we keep a handful of 15-20" walleye, anything over 20" is released. Alberta should implement something similar imo that protects the larger breeders.
+1👍
Old 08-22-2015, 01:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by chimpac View Post
I agree, there are not many fish to catch and eat because we have to save them for the catch and release guys to play with them and kill a certain percentage of them maybe 25 to 50%.
I agree. Hooking a fish and throwing it back will kill a lot of them, wastes them. I've always taught my kids that if you kill something, eat it. If you don't want to eat it, leave it alone...All of my family believes this. We've been in this land since 1616 and have been trappers, hunters, and fishers. Take what you need and leave the rest in peace.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:03 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
+1👍
Yeah..Limit government and give us back our freedom? I like that.
Old 08-22-2015, 01:05 PM

I am for keeping fish, but 25 pound pike and 10 pound walleye do not belong on a dinner plate, fish that could take decades to grow.
Old 08-22-2015, 02:32 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denadii Cho View Post
Yeah..Limit government and give us back our freedom? I like that.
Maybe you have problems with your eyes... As I don't see where you got that from. If you think 'Albertans' (said loosely) could responsibly manage our fisheries on our own, better than with the current regulations, you live in a dream world. I agreed a slot size would be nice.
Old 08-22-2015, 03:05 PM

Are people seriously bashing catch and release on a fishing forum... Raising your kids to enjoy the outdoors and put fish back will kill some fish but if it creates a life of loving our natural world and trying to make a difference for our natural species and habitat it is worth it 100 times over. Catch and release is a way to connect with our natural world while minimizing our impact on it.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:02 PM

Quote:
I agree, there are not many fish to catch and eat because we have to save them for the catch and release guys to play with them and kill a certain percentage of them maybe 25 to 50%.
If you are killing 25 to 50 percent of the released fish you catch. You are doing it completly wrong. To light of gear and fighting the fish way to long. Keeping the fish out of the water to take a glory picture. Plus barbless hooks make for a easy release I never touch the fish . It has been years since I have mortaly injured a realeased fish. Catch and release works its a fact, but you as a fisherman have to do your part.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:15 PM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by huntsfurfish View Post
Hope you are joking about the 5 year thing!
How bout more time spent fishing, more seniors, better fishermen, more immigration(more meat fishermen), better tackle, boats electronics, more poaching and the internet, just to name a few.

Lol.
Old 08-22-2015, 04:31 PM

I have caught the same sucker fish 4 times today so obviously catch and release works lol
Old 08-22-2015, 07:58 PM
Banned

Quote:
Get over yourself. Plenty of fish back East for you too eat if you don't like the way we do things.
Old 08-22-2015, 08:50 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Denadii Cho View Post
I agree. Hooking a fish and throwing it back will kill a lot of them, wastes them.
What exactly is "a lot" in your mind? We've already had one member suggest 25-50%. If your "lot" mean's "a great deal" or "a large amount", then I guess you'd agree with 25-50%?

I spend a fair bit of time on the water, mostly fishing lakes with slot limits. I throw back the majority of what I catch, usually only keeping my limit of walleye on a couple outings in spring so that's probably 8-12 a year depending on where I'm fishing. That's likely less than 5% of the fish I catch in a year. Would you really suggest that I'm killing another 50 or so fish a year just by virtue of catch and release fishing?

Then why is it that I do not see dead fish floating or washed up on shore during each and every outing? Why, on a place like Lake of the Prairies, where some boats can catch 100 walleye on a good day do I not see dead fish everywhere? Should it not be absolutely littered with dead fish after the Prairie Classic tournament, where there are 240+ skilled anglers on the water for two days? So why isn't it? Where are all these mortally wounded/dead fish disappearing to?

Fishing isn't just about food. Sport fishing is a tourism industry, and without a responsible catch and release mindset it would not exist. People travel all over Canada supporting other communities. Heck, people travel to Canada to come take part in fishing here. If limits were opened up and a catch and keep mentality was promoted it would deplete the numbers and not be sustainable. Sure you could make it a daily limit of 1 or 2, but if one was required by law to keep what they catch then nobody is going to bother spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to go on a trip to catch one fish.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:31 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nova View Post
Fishing isn't just about food. Sport fishing is a tourism industry, and without a responsible catch and release mindset it would not exist. People travel all over Canada supporting other communities. Heck, people travel to Canada to come take part in fishing here. If limits were opened up and a catch and keep mentality was promoted it would deplete the numbers and not be sustainable. Sure you could make it a daily limit of 1 or 2, but if one was required by law to keep what they catch then nobody is going to bother spending hundreds or thousands of dollars to go on a trip to catch one fish.
I spend about a month in south america this year and the whole concept of catch and release is non-existent in the countries I was in. I fished there quite regularly, and this was in the upper Amazon basin (very similar looking to the bow, but surrounded by cloud forest or jungle). There were barely any fish due to this catch and keep mentality, many tribes were suffering from this lack of food. Catch and release does work and is crucial for our worlds future fish stocks. There is so much proof that it works and I don't understand how specific people don't grasp this concept (I'm not attacking anyone, just a general statment towards C&K people). If you're practicing catch and release and killing 50% of the fish, pinch your barbs, use the right rod, don't use bait, then get back to us. Catch and keep doesn't always work either, I've had perch come back to life in my kitchen sink..
Old 08-22-2015, 09:32 PM

http://www.westernsportsman.com/2014...h-and-release/

Good summary on C&R mortality and documents up to 64% mortality on trout caught with bait and up to 10% for those caught on flies.

Water temperature and build up of lactic acid have as much if not more to do with it than most people are aware of.
Old 08-22-2015, 09:52 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by FlyTheory View Post
I spend about a month in south america this year and the whole concept of catch and release is non-existent in the countries I was in. I fished there quite regularly, and this was in the upper Amazon basin (very similar looking to the bow, but surrounded by cloud forest or jungle). There were barely any fish due to this catch and keep mentality, many tribes were suffering from this lack of food. Catch and release does work and is crucial for our worlds future fish stocks. There is so much proof that it works and I don't understand how specific people don't grasp this concept (I'm not attacking anyone, just a general statment towards C&K people). If you're practicing catch and release and killing 50% of the fish, pinch your barbs, use the right rod, don't use bait, then get back to us. Catch and keep doesn't always work either, I've had perch come back to life in my kitchen sink..
I hope you start a thread with pictures and a story of your adventure. I would love to hear about it
Old 08-23-2015, 08:24 AM
Banned

Default how many a day

Quote:
Originally Posted by bloopbloob View Post
It's not 25 or 50%. But guess what, even if it was 99.99% death rate, that's still better than the survival rate of catch and keep.
Catch 3 fish and eat 3 fish a day or catch and release all day and kill how many fish.
Old 08-23-2015, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Catch 3 fish and eat 3 fish a day or catch and release all day and kill how many fish.
Should not kill any fish if you handle them correctly lol
Old 08-23-2015, 09:07 AM

Quote:
Your logic is so flawed. Not going to continue this argument. I'll just say this. Catch and keep fishermen/women won't catch 3 legal keepers on their first 3 hookups. I fish a lot, and depending on the lake, it can take catching 20+ fish before catching one that would even be legal to keep. Even so, I almost always choose to release it. As a catch and keeper, is every fish you catch legal? Or are you a poacher? If yes to either, you are either a liar, or poacher. If you follow the law, you will probably release nearly as many fish as the catch and release guys do. I find you highly hypocritical, and probably just trolling.

I have no problem with anyone who fishes legally for food. But don't attack those who do it mainly for sport. Our licences fund the same fisheries you take from.

Last edited by bloopbloob; 08-23-2015 at 09:16 AM.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:41 AM

Quote:
And those guys catch and release small ones, until they catch their limit of the 3 biggest fish they caught all day and release just as many as the guy who catches and releases and doesn't keep any fish, in some cases worse as they keep the biggest one in a live well until they catch a bigger one then throw the last one back already dead, half dead or sure to die and keep a limit of the largest fish they caught all day.

Also how many guys would drag their expensive boats hundreds of miles, or hire a guide or fly in to an outfitter and catch their limit of 3 fish in the firs 5 minutes of the day and then quit fishing because they have their limit. I'll be damned if I'm gonna spend a tank of fuel and 3 hours drive there and back say out to a mountain lake or stream, catch and keep the first fish or three then pack up and drive home because I can't catch and release.
Old 08-23-2015, 09:55 AM
Banned

CK got it right.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:13 AM

If god didn't want us to eat fish he wouldn't have made them out of meat!
It is when you walk alone in nature that you discover your strengths and weaknesses. ~ Red Bullets
Old 08-23-2015, 10:16 AM
Banned

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Or so dang tasty with some flour, salt and pepper, butter and onions......

I think I'll have some walleye for supper tonight
Old 08-23-2015, 10:19 AM

I like how some run down C&R....so if they catch an undersized or non retension species they keep it anyway?

100% of the fish caught and kept die....less C&R fish die that that

Should have seen the horror in some folks faces when I caught a couple 12-14 inch trout off the sea wall at Carson and let them go.

LC
Old 08-23-2015, 10:21 AM

Default Catch and eat

Well I'm a catcher and eater and I just got back from Sask. and brought a whole cooler of fillets home. I also released a bunch but only the ones I was sure weren't mortally injured. I have to agree with the notion that catching and releasing all day certainly will kill a number of the fish thrown back. A prolific (lucky) fisherman can probably kill more fish in a day throwing them back than if they'd have caught a couple and eaten them. I don't like the idea of catching and releasing as a pass time.
Old 08-23-2015, 10:46 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lefty-Canuck View Post
I like how some run down C&R....so if they catch an undersized or non retension species they keep it anyway?

100% of the fish caught and kept die....less C&R fish die that that

Should have seen the horror in some folks faces when I caught a couple 12-14 inch trout off the sea wall at Carson and let them go.

LC
Smartest man in the thread

Im amazed how a thread with a guy asking what lakes kight have keeper limits turn into a bash fest. Gotta love AO
Old 08-23-2015, 11:09 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
Well I'm a catcher and eater and I just got back from Sask. and brought a whole cooler of fillets home. I also released a bunch but only the ones I was sure weren't mortally injured. I have to agree with the notion that catching and releasing all day certainly will kill a number of the fish thrown back. A prolific (lucky) fisherman can probably kill more fish in a day throwing them back than if they'd have caught a couple and eaten them. I don't like the idea of catching and releasing as a pass time.
How can one person bring a cooler full of fillets back from Sask when the limit is generally 4 fish?
Old 08-23-2015, 11:27 AM

Default Fish

I brought back 16 fish, the limit is 5 pike Per person and I have a family of four.
Additionally in sask. the kids have their own limit, they don't fish off of the parents limit. The lake I went to is one my family has been going to for four generations, a long time... This year I had the best fishing I've ever had in that lake so all that catch and keeping must be working
Old 08-23-2015, 11:28 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by calgarychef View Post
I brought back 16 fish, the limit is 5 pike Per person and I have a family of four.
Additionally in sask. the kids have their own limit, they don't fish off of the parents limit. The lake I went to is one my family has been going to for four generations, a long time... This year I had the best fishing I've ever had in that lake so all that catch and keeping must be working
Where do kids fish off the parents limit?

LC
Old 08-23-2015, 12:01 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by greyduck View Post
How can one person bring a cooler full of fillets back from Sask when the limit is generally 4 fish?
I get a cooler of walleye shipped up on the bus every so often. Deboned, vacuum packed from a cold clear northern lake. Tastey tastey.
Old 08-23-2015, 12:09 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Red Bullets View Post
Guess we better start eating each other
Old 08-23-2015, 12:10 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by Elixr View Post
I hope you start a thread with pictures and a story of your adventure. I would love to hear about it
X2. Especially your recent trip catching fish on your hiking pole