Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-10-2018, 06:37 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by slough shark View Post
They probably don’t need to transplant perch anywhere, they breed like flies, all they need to do to improve perch fishing in many lakes (along with the pike, burbot and whitefish as well) is to start allowing retention of walleye in a number of lakes. The walleye are eating many lakes out of house and Home it’s easy actually, if there is a lake with stunted perch it’s normally without predators so just ensure enough pike around to keep numbers down some and you’ll get your humpies.
I do agree with most of what you say however there are many lakes with either collapsed Fish populations including Perch and others that are completely infested. Think Hanmore on the collapsed side and Mons on the infested side. Mons would never support a Walleye population and it’s not alone. Hanmore on the other hand could support all species and the water quality is excellent but it remains a largely empty lake save for some scrawny hammer handles. The CO’s did transplant Perch out of Mons 3-5 yrs ago in to a select number of other lakes that were historically good for producing Jumbo Perch and guess what.... They turned in to Jumbos and the fishing was and has been great, I have the pics to prove it! More of this is needed across the province. Mons remains infested as do many others, while other lakes are empty and completely unmanaged and neglected. A small lake like Mons would not support a very large biomass of Pike regardless,but the Perch can still over proliferate. I had a camera down in there and couldn’t even see my hook for all the dink Perch blocking the view. Must have been a hundred of them on the screen at once. Government transplanting works very well for Perch. No hatchery required, with a little proper management
Old 01-10-2018, 07:19 PM
Gone Hunting

[QUOTE=RavYak;3705838

Lots of families at Kananaskis. Maybe just not yours...

Also 30 inch bulls, 30 inch rainbows and 24 inch cutties... Yeah they made such a horrible decision when they changed the regs...

I will never get the people that would rather go catch 12 inch trout to eat rather then have a chance of catching 10 lb trout...[/QUOTE]

Not a famili men...He

There are and always will be families there, including my own ,but not kids fishing.
And how would my 4 y old grandson handle 10 lb trout???

Families with kids would rather have 12 inchers that kids can catch all day
using bait which was banned to satisfy "Real fisherman" appetite.

Lower Kananaskis was trophy lake already, should leave Upper for kids.

150 TTSX vs Goat-WOW
http://youtu.be/37JwmSOQ3pY

Last edited by Andrzej; 01-10-2018 at 07:27 PM.