Go Back   Alberta Outdoorsmen Forum > Main Category > Fishing Discussion

Old 01-08-2018, 08:27 AM

Default 2 Days fishing and shut out, sort of

Looking forward to this weekend for a while. Getting cabin fever! Bought a Jaw Jacker on boxing day and waiting to try it out.
Saturday morning packed the gear and hit Black Nugget, maybe a Tiger was in my future? Hit the ice about 8:30 and set up. No bites at all. a bit windy out, was nice to have the tent and heater.
A family set up nearby and drilled a bunch of holes. One hole was spouting water like an artesian well. I've never seen that before. Flooded an area well over 200 sq'.
Packed up and hoped to have my spirits lifted by the Oiler game. Nope, but that's a different thread.
Sunday hit Spring at the same time with my son. We had our spot all to ourselves. Usually good action, with 4 lines in the water I was hoping to hear bells ringing. Nothing. Drilled more holes. Still nothing. Three more groups set up around us, and they all caught nothing. Then one guy pulled a nice one up. That was the only fish until our time was up. Packing up, left the jaw jacker for last, ping! it went off. Nice 12" rainbow come up. It was the only one so it went back for next time. Again, went home to see if my team could boost my spirits. Nope. Oh well, try again next weekend.
Old 01-08-2018, 11:54 AM

How was the access to Black Nugget, I heard the gate was closed before Xmas and people were having to walk in?
Old 01-08-2018, 02:52 PM

Walk on only. Lots of holes buy the gate, and fire pit. I assume folks were setting up and waiting in the car / fire during the cold snap.
First time there. Being used to the 1km hike into my spot on Spring, this was peanuts.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:18 PM

Yeah, not like there are a lot of big hills near Tofield

Did you try a flashy / fluttering spoon for the tigers? If you didn't, it might be worth a try on a return trip. I've never ice fished for them but based on their aggressive nature, I'm thinking it would work.
Old 01-08-2018, 03:42 PM

Had a variety of baits on the jaw jacker and had the same thoughts about the flashy hooks, all the more so after seeing how murky the water was. All I had with me was a tiny slender spoon and a small 5 of diamonds. No action with either.
The lake is so close to home I will be out there again, better equipped.
Old 01-08-2018, 04:11 PM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Walk on only. Lots of holes buy the gate, and fire pit. I assume folks were setting up and waiting in the car / fire during the cold snap.
First time there. Being used to the 1km hike into my spot on Spring, this was peanuts.
So you were able to drive up to the lake edge from the range road and then walk on from there like previous years?
I had heard you had to park on the road and walk in from there, a bit of a hike if you have kids in tow....
Old 01-08-2018, 08:03 PM

Keep ur head up and keep putting in ur time you will be rewarded thats trout fishin lol
Old 01-09-2018, 08:42 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by 7magtime View Post
So you were able to drive up to the lake edge from the range road and then walk on from there like previous years?
I had heard you had to park on the road and walk in from there, a bit of a hike if you have kids in tow....
Park in the lot. Fire pit and porta-potty all set up.
Old 01-09-2018, 09:08 AM

Quote:
Originally Posted by nast70 View Post
Park in the lot. Fire pit and porta-potty all set up.
Perfect! Thanks for that info, appreciate it.